Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error Fallout 3

United States
Colorado
lonewanderer85
TJDAWG
I'm hoping someone on here can help me out with this problem. I have been playing Fallout 3 on PC with quite a few mods installed for the last 6 months off and on. Yesterday I started getting an error message pop up that says Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error. It then causes the game to crash. Any help would be much appreciated.👍

I guess repair or reinstall Microsoft Visual C++, there's probably an .exe for it in the game files. I was going to start New Vegas again tonight (with some mods) so I'll have a look for you. You could also try verifying the game files through Steam.

I'll try that when I get home from work.👍 I've been researching it online and haven't been able to fix it. I started a new save and thought I'd got rid of it but about 2 hours in it is giving the same error.

Edit: Quick question for you neema_t. Will verifying the game files reset any .ini tweaks I've done?

Last edited:
Edit: Quick question for you neema_t. Will verifying the game files reset any .ini tweaks I've done?

Errr... Yes? I'm not sure, but to be safe I'd back up anything that you know for sure isn't the problem.

Hmm, if starting a new game fixed the problem for a while then maybe it's not a problem with the Visual C++ thing, maybe it's a corrupted or buggy mod?

Anyway, in ..\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout 3 goty\VCRedist you'll find vcredist_x86.exe, try running that. Might work, might not.

I just wanted to say neema-t that tip you gave me appeared to do the trick. I've put in probably 2-3 hours since then without the run time error crash. Thanks a lot man:tup:

Back