Microtransactions POLL

• Thread starter shnooby2
  • 21 comments

Do you have a problem with how microtransactions have been implemented?

• No, it doesn't affect me in anyway

• Yes, I feel like they should be completely removed

• No, but it would be nice if we could purchase every car with real money

Results are only viewable after voting.
Canada
Canada
I want to see an overall opinion from this community of the newly implemented microtransactions. My opinion is that they have zero affect on me. They give no competitive advantage and I know I will never actually use them. I would have a problem if they did make certain cars or special upgrades that could only be purchased with real money.

For those of you who are totally against the idea, please explain your thought process of how it affects you.

I guess people who complain about MTX in GTS haven't participated in pay-2-win games where essentially players are forced to pay to stay competitive. A rough comparison to this would be if cars in GTS were upgradable for real currency and applicable in competitive environment. What we have now is a sensible quality of life feature for those who correctly value their time. This scheme directly bolsters PDs budget to -hopefully- keep bringing us free content.

The only reason micro transactions are in games is for the people behind the game to make more money cos sales drop off. Games then get sold second hand but the companies don’t get anything from those sales hence they bring in micro transactions. But that’s just my take on it and not in favour of having them in games.

VBR
Before anyone votes in this poll, you might want to get some context as to how it came about. Read from here onwards: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...d-crying-thread.346264/page-102#post-12427728
Wait why do we need any context? Isn't the context of the update enough?

Anyway, I voted for the first option. I don't really get why there's so many complains

I've read The_American's post in the official microtransactions thread, and while it does make sense, it's still my choice in the end to decide how I play my game. If I'm bored because there's no grinding to do, well that's because I want to grind, not because EA deluded me into a grind or pay mindset. Hell, I barely even touched an EA game. If I were to give a reason why I don't mind grinding, it's most probably because the older GT games and Monster Hunter taught me that grinding can actually be fun. That's right, grinding can be fun. Like mtx, grinding can be fun or an annoyance depending on how it's implemented and how the players approac it. While some take pleasure in grinding (I do with my payouts in Sport mode), some do not (BmB grinders). That's why I think mtx is a nice thing to have, because it gives people options

If PD decided that they were going to end free updates because GT sport wasn't making enough money, which option would you prefer?

Microtransactions, and continued free updates

Paid DLC

Updates ceased

Wait why do we need any context? Isn't the context of the update enough?

Anyway, I voted for the first option. I don't really get why there's so many complains

I've read The_American's post in the official microtransactions thread, and while it does make sense, it's still my choice in the end to decide how I play my game. If I'm bored because there's no grinding to do, well that's because I want to grind, not because EA deluded me into a grind or pay mindset. Hell, I barely even touched an EA game. If I were to give a reason why I don't mind grinding, it's most probably because the older GT games and Monster Hunter taught me that grinding can actually be fun. That's right, grinding can be fun. Like mtx, grinding can be fun or an annoyance depending on how it's implemented and how the players approac it. While some take pleasure in grinding (I do with my payouts in Sport mode), some do not (BmB grinders). That's why I think mtx is a nice thing to have, because it gives people options

Also agree, I like grinding as well, and lose interest in games where everything is available from the beginning.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason micro transactions are in games is for the people behind the game to make more money cos sales drop off. Games then get sold second hand but the companies don’t get anything from those sales hence they bring in micro transactions. But that’s just my take on it and not in favour of having them in games.

Completely wrong. Micro-transactions exist to support the continuing development of games, far after thier launch. Why do you think after 5 years, GTA Online is still getting quarterly DLC for free?

If GTAO didn't have shark cards it would have been dead 2 years ago and RDR2 would be out already. Instead, thanks to MTX, R* captured lightning in a bottle and created one of the most popular console games of all time.

At the end of the day GTSport's microtransactions allow PD to continue developing for the game, and that makes me happy because I love GT Sport and I want to see it continue growing, instead of twiddling my thumbs waiting for GT7 to come out.

Completely wrong. Micro-transactions exist to support the continuing development of games, far after thier launch. Why do you think after 5 years, GTA Online is still getting quarterly DLC for free?

If GTAO didn't have shark cards it would have been dead 2 years ago and RDR2 would be out already. Instead, thanks to MTX, R* captured lightning in a bottle and created one of the most popular console games of all time.

At the end of the day GTSport's microtransactions allow PD to continue developing for the game, and that makes me happy because I love GT Sport and I want to see it continue growing, instead of twiddling my thumbs waiting for GT7 to come out.
You do know that game has been flogged for the last couple of years and 'the grind' and much gameplay restrictions are created to garner recurring spending though.

If this game sells out like that. Bad times ahead, lol.

From the day GTsport was out I have felt it was a long way from a polished game there have been some content updates, but still feel it’s a very poor game , for the cost at release ( yes I know it’s supposed to be mostly online racing but even that has its flaws ). It does not draw me in like other version’s of the game ( I’ve been playing since GT3 ) and now MT’s are in it’s not going to get another penny from me as I don’t see how it’s going to improve over the others in the series in terms of game play ( not comparing graphics or game physics ). I still see MT’s as purely a money maker from those willing to part with more money. Right or wrong that’s just my take on it.

I still see MT’s as purely a money maker from those willing to part with more money.

Very true but if a game studio want to continue having employees rendering art, new circuits and programmers still working on the game then the continuing of the game to provide a source of income to cover their salaries need to happen or financially it is not in the studios interest to keep providing new content to a year old game but rather devote those employees time to working on a project with a future release date that will be bringing in an income for the company.

Micro transactions are just another way the studios use to generate income and as long as the transactions do not give an advantage or allow the player to buy or upgrade to a point that is not possible with strictly in game play then I see no harm or no foul if a player would rather open their real world wallet rather than devote additional game hours to earn xp to make the same purchase.

This poll was more lopsided than I predicted. I was expecting about 75% NO and 25% YES. Currently we are at 90% NO and 10% YES. I'm glad our community is full of intelligent, progressive, and rational thinkers

Last edited:
This poll was more lopsided than I predicted. I was expecting about 75% NO and 25% YES. Currently we are at 90% NO and 10% YES.
That's probably because you've made the answers into conditional statements. Instead of straightforward yes, no (maybe, I don't know, could you repeat the question), you've got a conditional yes and two conditional no answers.

What do people who have a problem with how microtransactions have been implemented (thus "yes"), but don't feel like they should be completely removed answer? What about people who don't have a problem with it (thus "no") and have used it? They don't have an answer to give. How is "No, but" not having a problem with it? The presence of "but" implies that there is a problem with the implementation that needs rectifying.

You're excluding a lot of people from answering by putting conditions on the answers and no other options to answer differently.

The poll is badly worded...

It doesnt affect me but I wish it did as I want to be able to buy the $20 mil. cars with cash.

HOWEVER saying that if the 250gto was ridiculously priced like in GT6 like $20 usd then no, not interested.

Further on an altruistic level, I'd like all MTX to be removed but then I'd also want the max price on any car to be reasonable like say $5 mil.

That's probably because you've made the answers into conditional statements. Instead of straightforward yes, no (maybe, I don't know, could you repeat the question), you've got a conditional yes and two conditional no answers.

What do people who have a problem with how microtransactions have been implemented (thus "yes"), but don't feel like they should be completely removed answer? What about people who don't have a problem with it (thus "no") and have used it? They don't have an answer to give. How is "No, but" not having a problem with it? The presence of "but" implies that there is a problem with the implementation that needs rectifying.

You're excluding a lot of people from answering by putting conditions on the answers and no other options to answer differently.

There's too many possible options that you could make. I would have rather had a simple Yes or No, but I think people would have said Yes even if they liked having microtransactions, because they weren't implemented the way they wanted. The point of this poll was to see how many people were upset that microtransactions are now in GT sport.

Maybe I should have just made the poll ask "are you upset that microtransactions are in GT sport, yes or no?"

I don't like how microtransactions are implemented in many games (pay to win), but I think the way PD implemented them was intelligent, and to the betterment of the community, including giving us the option to completely turn them off in your personal save file, which I did.

Last edited:
If it helps them continue to create more content then I'm glad they added it. The game has been on sale for as little as $19.99. They need to make money somehow. Let it be off of idiots who don't realize you can make 4 million overnight with a rubberband.

There's too many possible options that you could make.
Indeed - it's a nuanced question, but the way you've gone about it excludes many people from answering.

Think about the question "Do you like cheese?". Your poll options are the equivalent of "Yes and I eat it all the time", "No, except for mini Babybel" and "No, but it's okay if you do.". There's no way of saying "yes" without being all-in on it and no way of saying "no" without being less than all-in on it.

Perhaps a better way of phrasing it would be by degrees:

"Do you support how GT Sport has implemented microtransactions?"
1. Wholly
2. Mostly
3. Somewhat
4. Partly
5. Absolutely not

Let it be off of idiots who don't realize you can make 4 million overnight with a rubberband.
Hardly a good alternative, lol.

Ridiculous how many think this is gaming. It's this foolishness that allows microtransactions to thrive and become the money grabs they are.

I don't have a problem with how they implemented it now, but i voted against because if these kind of unlocks for money become a succes it will get out of hand. Just like GTA5, where they dropped the single player support in favor of online micro payments.

I would rather buy a season pass or car/track packs than micro payments.

Back