Mid-Corner Oversteer

• Thread starter Luxy
  • 5 comments
GTP_Luxy
I've been trying to tune the Ferrari F40 for the Ferrari Festival (Dealerships > Ferrari > Events). I'm having trouble dealing with mid-corner oversteer on some of the faster corners on Suzuka (Degner, 200R, Casio Exit). The car is on full throttle and already settled into the line. Then suddenly, the rear end of the car starts to slide.

I can avoid the slide by lifting mid-corner, but that kills any chance I have of being competitive. Using softer tires or adding downforce would be obvious fixes, but the race is fixed on S3 tires and downforce on the F40 is not adjustable. I've tried every permutation of springs, dampers and toe I can think of, but none of them solve (or event partially solve) the problem. Lowering the ride height helps a but, but not enough.

Is there something I'm missing, or am I just expecting too much from the car on S3 tires?

did you read the tuning guide on this forum? It really has a lot of good info and I think making one change at a time might help you.... sorry I don't have a tune for this car yet.

Toe-in for the rear wheels can help you with power oversteer. You could also alter the gear ratio so less torque is transmitted through the tires to the road.

Yep, I've read both of Scaff's tuning guides -- they're fantastic. I have been making one change at a time, and I definitely notice the differences in other parts of the lap, but haven't found any way to address this specific issue :(

Edit:

@NLxAROSA: Yep, I've got rear toe-in (tried -10 point increments from 0 to -50, and no luck). I haven't touched the stock gear ratios, which are quite long.

Maybe it's because one of rearwheels looses contact with the track for a second.

maybe try and tackle this with suspension, maybe one tick more damper, though you already said you did this (re-reading your post ;))

There are just some points on a track where gripp will be less then optimal, it's all one big consession, 99% tracktion in one corner just means 88% in another, it's giving and taking to try achieve the best time. (which i rarely do ;))

The F40 is quite unforgiving in my hands and i don't mind lifting a little bit on parts of the track where i know the car may slip out of control. Running against my ghosts, where i know in the ghost i didn't lift, it doesn't seem to make a really big difference as long as you keep tracktion on the wheels.

If all else fails, bring in the 'dusty corner' theory ;)

I've been trying to tune the Ferrari F40 for the Ferrari Festival (Dealerships > Ferrari > Events). I'm having trouble dealing with mid-corner oversteer on some of the faster corners on Suzuka (Degner, 200R, Casio Exit). The car is on full throttle and already settled into the line. Then suddenly, the rear end of the car starts to slide.

I can avoid the slide by lifting mid-corner, but that kills any chance I have of being competitive. Using softer tires or adding downforce would be obvious fixes, but the race is fixed on S3 tires and downforce on the F40 is not adjustable. I've tried every permutation of springs, dampers and toe I can think of, but none of them solve (or event partially solve) the problem. Lowering the ride height helps a but, but not enough.

Is there something I'm missing, or am I just expecting too much from the car on S3 tires?

Hey mate.. I do have a tune for the F40 that may help you here.. remember that this is a mid engined car on S3 (sports) tires.. it will be slidey..

Some tips to counter oversteer, depending on how extreme:
Increase the rear Toe value +.....
Lower rear ride height in relation to front

Have a try of this and if your still stuck, pop over to my Tuning thread and will help you out.

Back