Might buy electric bike/scooter/moped whatever

• Thread starter JMoney
  • 8 comments
United States
N. Jessamine, KY
JMoney-689
Woodside689
Never though I would use the Motorcycles forum...

I'm thinking about getting an electric two-wheeler for getting around campus on. It's a mile from my parking spot to the buildings where my classes are, so walking is getting tiring. A bicycle will just make me sweaty, so I think an electric cycle would be a good option. I've found some decent ones for about $300, does anyone know of a good brand to buy from? I'm looking for a top speed of at least 15 mph, and a range of at least five miles. I'll be taking it to campus in the back of my truck.

But your complaint was that walking is tiring.. if you keep walking it won't be tiring - it's called fitness.

I don't get this trend of being lazy about everything, nobody wants to do anything physical and want automatic everything - it's like the obese americans who buy electric scooters because they "Don't have the energy to walk"

Worried about the cold? wear a jacket. Seriously.. what you're going to leave an electric bike locked up at campus so you drive your car there then ride the bike the rest of the way? I'd give it a week before it's stolen.

Urie's right, why don't you just walk?

Only riding for a mile isn't going to be good for an engine either, plus you can't get anything decent for 300 bucks.

A mile seriously? If you don't want to walk what's wrong with a bicycle?

I walk around 15 miles a day, while carrying a 10-16kg bag.

As above, a bicycle is another far more reasonable option - if you're perspiring from a 1 mile bike ride you are chronically unfit and need to be doing that exercise.

Not trying to be mean at all but seriously that's not healthy..

One mile only, makes sense to bike. If you go at just 15 mph, you won't even have to break a sweat.

Electric assist bikes are also an option... Lighter than a fully electric bike. Option to pedal if the battery goes flat. Bear in mind that electric scooters are heavy things. A decent fixed speed or folding bike is a lot easier to lift back onto your truck bed, in comparison. A good folding bike will even fit in the passenger seat.

Don't get me wrong, e-scooters are nice, but the cheap ones are dog slow compared to bikes, and I don't see that they're worth the money unless you're in the saddle all day.

Walked a lot in College. Maybe six or seven miles on a good day, with a full load of books and a guitar. And I was seventy pounds overweight at the time.

Back