Mini Cooper 20th Century vs. Mini Cooper 21st Century

  • Thread starter Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 5 comments
  • 705 views

JohnBM01

21 years!
In Memoriam
Messages
26,911
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
Messages
JMarine25
GTPlanet, hello again, yet again.

The Mini has been a cult car since its introduction 45 years ago. So what if this car isn't a fire-breathing Nissan Skyline or a 1/4 smoking GTO? This car proved that size doesn't matter. You can have as much fun in a small car as you could in a big car.

I don't know about specifications, but this is a topic MiniMADness would appreciate and know a lot about. So which Mini is better in...

looks
style
performance
technology

...or whatever else you want to include? This is a battle of the original Mini vs. today's Mini. Let the battle begin with your replies!
 
I'd say the New mini cooper would preform better. But I like the older mini! I love mini coopers!
 
The new "mini" should hardly be mentioned in the same breath as the old one. The only thing they have in common is the name.

Whereas the original mini was cut price handling and performance, built at an affordable price for the masses, the new version is totally overpriced and only mildly fast. The Clio 2.0 Sport and Peugeot GTi 180 offer better performance, some may argue looks and are cheaper then the Cooper S.
 
I think the new one would kill the Classic one, but I like the Classic better. Give it new rims, brighten it up a bit, and parking won't be a problem when I go to San Francisco.
 
Yay! another Mini topic!!!

Looks - Personally, i dont think you can get much better than a new Cooper S, chunky bodykit and a set of big rims.... But everyone loves the cuteness of the old one. Especcially in red with a white roof!

Style - Whist the new one is pretty funky, I love the old one for its style. Not many other cars (for the price) can turn heads like and old or a new one. So many times when travelling in ours, people will just stop and gawk (dunno if i look like a freak or if its just the car?).

Performance - Even though the new one has a supercharger, the old one will give it a run for its money in any slalom or motorcana. Small wheels kick ass!

Technology - Back in the late 50's and early 60's, thr transverse engine layout was pretty awesome stuff. But, today's MINI doenst really have any huge technological advances.


Ok, so that is 3 points old, 1 point new...

But what really annoys me about the MINI, is the lack of respect the old Mini buffs have for it. I have heard of incidents at Mini shows where new cars have been spat on by older owners. No car these days is gonna be produced for over forty years, let alone over 5 million sales. Personally, i accept the MIN and think it is quite cool....Dunno about you guys though...

Oh, and happy 45th aniversary Mini/MINI!
 
Back