• Thread starter Jawehawk
  • 5 comments

Jawehawk

Premium
Denmark
Denmark
Yohansen_92
Hello all

Living in a very small apartment, and not being overly excited about using the shared washing machines of the apartment complex (4 washers, 62 users), I was wondering what the possibilities were for a compact and portable washer for my bathroom. As I'll need to move it out of the bathroom whenever taking a shower, it needs to be portable. Capacity wise, I'm fine with 3-4kg, and with a sling on the side so that clothes can dry in a reasonably short amount of time. I'm fine with having to manually fill it for both the wash and rinse cycle.

To my disappointment, my searches for a machine fitting those criteria have been mostly fruitless. The best bet has been from TecTake with generally favorable reviews, however, it does not appear to be in stock anywhere in Denmark or close by.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CJJML0M/?tag=gtplanetuk-20

So I turn to you fine folk. No doubt many of you have been in a similar position, or perhaps use a good portable one for camping trips or similar. Any ideas?

You may wish to check the terms of your apartment (lease, rental agreement, whatever) as often washing machines are not permitted in apartments.

You may wish to check the terms of your apartment (lease, rental agreement, whatever) as often washing machines are not permitted in apartments.

There's no info about washing machines in my contract, and as the building is single floor, my bathroom is surrounded by no one. I can't imagine they'd have any problem with a small, portable washer. But thanks for the heads up 👍

How far do you live from dear O mom?

About a 100 kilometers... And I relied on their washer for 7 years in my old apartment, so I reckon it is about time I go independent on that front :)

In case anyone might find it useful, I wanted to give on update on what I eventually purchased.

I ended up buying a compact washer from Display4Top.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0747PW5DT/?tag=gtplanetuk-20

Despite it's cheap price, this little washer does a tremendous job. The procedure is simple but is of course a bit more hands on than your average household washing machine. You fill it up with hot water, apply a little soap, and then select the desired washing time between 1-15 minutes. 9 minutes is the recommended time, and it does the job just fine. Once the timer runs out, you drain it via a switch, and then fill it up with cold water and a little conditioner. Give it another 9 minutes, and then throw the clothes into the spinner. The spinner cycle lasts a maximum of 5 minutes and is extremely effective. It only holds about half of what the washing compartment does though. After having been through the spinner, it'll dry up in no time when hung to dry. Weighing in at only 12 kilos, it's easy to move to where you need it, and easy to lift up a little when draining it. It's also extremely quiet when in action and aside from a bit of rumble when the spinner starts up, the machine is very stable.

I very much recommend it to anyone living in a small space and who prefers having their own private washer. It'll wash 3-4 days worth of clothes per wash no problem.

Last edited:
I knew a guy from uni who designed a foot-powered mini washer for tight living quarters.

https://www.yirego.com/

Space-saving, doesn't require a ton of water nor detergent, portable....

and I guess you can get a workout from it too.

Back