Minimal buy / spend playthrough

I wasn’t sure where to put this, or to put this anywhere at all, but I felt the need to share.

I’ve been steadily working my way through the GT series, doing a low / minimum buy / spend playthrough (I say “playthrough”, I’m not getting 100%, I reach the point where I get bored or can’t progress any further and give up) of each game. And now I’ve reached GT3.

So here’s what I’m doing: I’m trying to get as far through the game as I can, buying as few cars as I can and spending as little money as possible. I’m a decidedly average player, so there will be points where I can’t complete series basically because I’m just not good enough (more on that later).

My self-imposed rules are:
· Wherever possible, use a prize car to enter a race / series
· Minimal mods to win a series, no maxing out and walking away with it
· For a series that has a country / continent name in it, I have to use a car from that country / continent (e.g. Amateur American Championship) and specific series will use cars from that series (like DTM)
· No grinding – a series will only be run multiple times if I need more than one prize car and I will be using the “cheat” of getting into a position where I can’t lose the championship in the last race, saving and quitting repeatedly to get the car I want.

I’m also aiming to use cars as much as possible, so I’m not switching between cars repeatedly – I’ll use a car until it’s completed everything it can complete before moving on to something new.

I can only really play in short bursts of an hour or so, while my wife watches Strictly America’s Next Top X-Factor Baking Ten Years Thinner Model Dance Crew or whatever happens to be on that night. This means that a good few of the endurance races aren’t going to be run. Which provides me with a problem when it comes to the Altezza races – I either need to run the Laguna Seca Endurance untuil I get one, or beat the Pro Vitz / Yaris race. Last time I tried, I couldn’t beat the Pro Yaris Race, even with a fully-modified 1.5 RS, so the Altezza serieseseses may never get beaten.

I’ve started off by getting all my licences with just bronze and getting gold in the Domestic B test, which I don’t think is unreasonable for someone of my skill level. This has the advantage of handing me a very useful Mazda MX-5 1.8i (I think this is called the RS in non-PAL territories), and leaves me with a bit of cash for a few mods.

I’ve been doing this for a week or so, and here’s where I’m up to:
ABSOLUTE BEGIINERS
I decided to tune my MX-5 a touch before I did anything. I bought the stage 1 tune, stage 1 weight removal and the racing exhaust. And an oil change. With this, I then completed the following series:
Sunday Cup
Clubman Cup
FR Challenge
Spider and Roadster
Race Of NA Sports
I actually slightly regret tuning the MX-5 Before completing these races, since they were all so easy.

I then had a go at the (Beginner) GT World Championship, but my 200bhp(ish) MX-5 really couldn’t keep up with the rally cars in this series. Hmmm… time to spend a little cash?

Before I modded the Mx-5 any more, I decided to have a pop at the SS Route 5 Wet rally races. I beat the 2-lap race without too much difficulty, just about fluked the 3-lap race (by about 0.2 of a second) and had no hope in the 5-lap race. I’ll come back for that.

So back to the GT World Championship. I have a few quid flying about the place, due to all my wins. So into the MX-5 goes a stage 2 tunes, stage 2 weight reduction and, most importantly and expensively, a set of Super Soft tyres. Suddenly, the Mazda is competitive, but only just. I reach the final race with just enough points to be able to pick the prize car I want.

I make a mistake at this point and take the Mitsubishi Evo VI GSR, knowing it’ll be useful for a good few races I want to complete. Howver, I should have held out for the Skyline, since there are loads of Evos to be had around this stage of the game. I’ll have to come back for one, maybe.

So, with the Evo, I complete the Beginner:
Evo Series
4wd Challenge
Race Of Turbo Sports
SS R5 Wet 5-lap race
At this point, I’m fairly bored of the 2-lap sprints and this is where winning the SSR5 Wet rally comes in – this has got me a Citroen Xsara Rally Car, which I’m fairly sure is the best FF car in the game. This nets me an all-important Type-R – a Spoon Civic Type-R – from the Pro FF Challenge. A race series I quite enjoy running, despite the stupid AI pitting in on lap 9...

I then used the Xsara to hammer the Beginner FF Challenge, winning the Yaris 1.5 RS.

More to follow… thought my second child will be coming into the world in less than two week’s time, so updates may become infrequent...

You'll want to set up your tranny to achieve the highest possible speed on Test Course. With that strategy, you can beat the AI opponents by a lap - beats cruising around at low speeds and constantly hitting the limiter for 10 straight laps while somehow trying to figure out a way past the opponents.

Oh, and buy racing hard tires (maybe even super hard). They grip to the track extremely well and even if you fall behind, you can pit once while the AI pits twice on any track besides Test Course.

Last edited:
Don't suppose you know your settings, do you?
I tended not to use settings. I can't say for definite, but I usually just upgraded the parts and left the settings as they were (with the exception of lengthening the gearing.)

I'll need to raise some funds and try that.

Did you go with a NA tune or just not a maxed turbo one? It's been a while since I've done anything with the Yaris...

THE JOY OF SPOONING

In previous playthroughs, I've not really used the Spoon Civic Type R, so was pleasantly surprised when I took it to the Amateur Type R Meeting. Which just a new set of boots, I had some great battles with the sole NSX that showed up and won myself an NSX in the process. I was slightly disappointed by the rest of the opposition, however, as the consistently finished a good 30 seconds or more behind me and the NSX.

Buoyed up by my Type R meeting success, I decided to keep using the Spoon Civic and took it to the Amateur Japanese Car Championship. Again, I had a good few battles but won each race and came away with an RX7 that I don't actually need.

Running the longer races meant that's all I've managed in the time allowed...

THIS RACE IS THE VITZ

Decided I needed the Altezza race car sooner rather than later, not least because I need to compete in the Ama Dream Car Championship and then go on from there to complete the Ama Japanese GT, World GT and GT All Stars championships. All of which have Japanese GT / LM cars driven by the AI.

So it's time to take on the dreaded Pro Vitz / Yaris races. I have never, ever been able to beat this series but this is the only way to get the car I need to progress.

So I took Daan's advice and tuned my Salmon Pink Yaris to 200bhp, slapped on some hard tyres and set about beating what must be the hardest competition in GT3.

Even with a no stop strategy, it took me a good few tries to win each of these races (except the test course, which I walked away with) and even then, there were some questionable tactics and I just about scraped the wins. I reckon the three races I had to keep retrying took me about three hours to complete between them.

Done now, the Altezza is mine!

Back