• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 9 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
As a member of GTPlanet for 11 years, I sometimes tested the waters of different topics. I try to diversify things and offer home threads for certain topics. So here is one of my latest. I'm willing to open this thread for you all to discuss Minor League Baseball. When I started threads on baseball, I made sure to specify Major League Baseball as opposed to Minor League Baseball- which both have the same acronym- MLB. Some use "MiLB" to mean Minor League Baseball. Anyhow, if you're willing to chat about Minor League Baseball this season, you're free to chat about it here. You can let us know about your favorite Major League teams' MiLB affiliates. Chatter can be about teams going down to the Minors or even certain Minor League games. Maybe there are Minor League players that could be great in the Majors. No matter what, this is a thread for Minor League Baseball.

If I do discuss my Astros' Minor League teams, you'll be reading of the following for this season:
* Fresno Grizzlies (Triple-A)
* Corpus Christi Hooks (Double-A)
* Lancaster JetHawks (Advanced A)
* Quad Cities River Bandits (Single-A)
* Tri-City ValleyCats (Short Season A)
* Greenville Astros (Rookie)

I think I once seen the Corpus Christi Hooks play on TV once. They play at a very nice ballpark in a great urban setting- Whataburger Field. I remember when the Astros' Triple-A Minor League team used to be the Round Rock Express. It is now the AAA affiliate of the Texas Rangers.

Anyhow, feel free to chat about Minor League Baseball for the 2015 with this thread here.

I'm not sure how good the Reds' Triple A team (Louisville Bats) will be this season. The big league club has depleted them of their better players the last couple of years. However, Reds' reliever Sam LeCure is going to be down in Louisville to start the season. Very puzzling, as he has a good amount of experience and has played well in his time up north in Cincy.

My hometown Nashville Sounds opened First Tennessee Park tonight against the Colorado Springs Sky Sox. It is located on the site of Sulphur Dell the original baseball stadium in Nashville from 1870-1963. I was glad that they decided to keep the idea of the guitar shaped scoreboard like we have had a Greer Stadium for the last 20 years.

download (3).jpg

This is the first year that we are the AAA affiliate of the Oakland A's after spending the last few years with Milwaukee. I have no idea if we'll be any good in the PCL, the only name I recognize on the roster is Barry Zito and if he pitches decently I would guess that he will get called up.

Carlos Correa is one of the Astros' top prospects. He plays for our Triple-A affiliate, the Fresno Grizzlies. Earlier today, I saw a video of Correa belt a home run out of the stadium and off off the wall of a building across the street. It would be crazy if Correa brought this style of power to the Astros lineup when he eventually gets promoted. I'm not saying he's be Giancarlo Stanton 2.0, but he's pretty good from what I've been hearing and seeing.

In case you want to see the video, check this link out and its video: http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2015/05/27...51240334907606&adbpl=fb&adbpr=196554717042842

My Astros' Triple-A affiliate, the Fresno Grizzlies, won 5-4 in 11 innings hosting the Memphis Redbirds (St. Louis affiliate). We're somehow leading the Pacific Coast League's Pacific Northern Division with this win. The Fresno Grizzlies are now 27-20 on the season so far.

Elsewhere...

* CBS Sports Network is showing the El Paso Chihuahuas (San Diego AAA affiliate) at the Round Rock Express (Texas AAA affiliate). The Express currently lead 5-2 in the Top of the 9th.

Congratulations to every other winner from Thursday across all of Minor League Baseball.

CBS Sports Network is showing a game between the Salt Lake Bees at the Nashville Sounds. That's a very nice ballpark Nashville plays at! Great scenery along with the very cool guitar scoreboard.

Going on right now on MLB Network is the Minor League Baseball All-Star Game featuring Triple-A teams. The action is in Papillion, Nebraska... in the Omaha area. The International League is currently ahead 1-0 in the Top of the 2nd.

CBS Sports Network is showing a game between the Altoona Curve at the Akron RubberDucks. It's 4-1, Altoona in the Top of the 6th as of this post. If you think RubberDucks is a funny name for a team, try Tacos. That's right- for one night only (August 6), my Astros' Triple-A affiliate, the Fresno Grizzlies, will be the Fresno Tacos and will have some sort of promotional deal that night. They'll even wear some unique uniforms that night.

Got to love Minor League Baseball. Lord knows this would be insane if a Major League team tried this out.

My Astros' Triple-A affiliate, the Fresno Grizzlies, won the 2015 Triple-A National Championship earlier tonight with a 7-0 victory against the Columbus Clippers. Fresno won the Pacific League title, and Columbus won the International League title heading into this game. So I'm obviously pleased Fresno completed a great season in AAA ball as an affiliate of my Houston Astros.

Back