Missing songs in Greatest Hits (NTSC) version?

• Thread starter dylansan
  • 8 comments

dylansan

Premium
United States
Massachusetts
GTP_dylansan
MINICOOPER120
I don't venture into the GT2 section often, but as I just began a new GT2 career, I expect to spend more time in here. :D

To the point: The GT2 soundtrack is definitely memorable, but when I looked up the official soundtrack I was surprised to find songs that I didn't recognize. And playing it now, it seems there are songs that never play on my copy of the game. For example, Fear Factory's cover of "Cars", Filter's "Hey Man, Nice Shot", and others by Creed, the Boom Boom Satelites, and The Dandy Warhols never seem to play. Considering that's nearly half the soundtrack, it makes racing a little repetitive.

My only guesses are that either my disc is scratched or smudged, or licensing required PD to remove these songs in the Greatest Hits version.

Can anyone with a copy of this disc verify whether these songs are present?

There's nothing wrong with your copy, what happens is that not all songs made it to the game. These are the licensed songs found in NTSC-U/C:

In-race:
-"Cold Rock the Mic" by Apollo 440
-"Dragula (Hot Rod Herman Mix)" by Rob Zombie
-"I Think I'm Paranoid" by Garbage
-"Now Is the Time (Millennium Mix)" by The Crystal Method
-"S*x Type Thing" by Stone Temple Pilots
-"Super Bon Bon" by Soul Coughing

Other:
-"My Favourite Game" by The Cardigans (Arcade Mode Intro, incomplete)
-"My Hero" by Foo Fighters (Arcade Mode Credits)
-"Where It's At" by Beck (Simulation Mode Credits)

Plus, Filter's "Hey Man, Nice Shot" and "Accelerator" by Gearwh**e are mentioned on the Licensing Credits, but are nowhere to be found in the actual game. The other songs were only featured on GT2: Music at the Speed of Sound and otherwise have nothing to do with the game.

Thanks. Seems odd to include them in the soundtrack when they were never in the game. They're not bad songs.

I was working on a playlist of extra songs to double the soundtrack but it looks like I did more work than I had to. Oh well, no harm done.

Wikipedia may want to clarify their article. "In-game Tracks" hardly applies to songs not in the game.

I learned something a few weeks ago...Accelerator wasnt the only song from Gearwhore's album Drive that was featured in a video game. Test Drive 6 had 11 Past 11 and Love from that same album.

And speaking of Test Drive 6, the song Cars was in Test Drive 6. Probably another licensing issue that prevented Polyphony from putting it in the game. :rolleyes:

Cars was in a lot of games back then. I believe NFS High Stakes also has it. I don't think it's a licensing issue as much as the album was taking liberties with the tracklist and not an exact soundtrack album.

Dragula was also in one of the Twisted Metals IIRC. It's pretty cool that some songs can fit a lot of different style of games 👍

Keep in mind that GT2 basically just wasn't done when they actually released it. Could have been simply that they weren't able to get the songs into the localized versions of the game in time.

@dylansan Be sure to listen the PAL and NSTC-J soundtracks too, there are different songs for each region if you didn't know.
Yep, I've had what I suppose is the Japanese soundtrack on my phone for a while. Hot Tin Root and Blue Line are favorites of mine despite never hearing them in game.

Latest Posts

Back