Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 1991

• Thread starter GTO_VR4
  • 9 comments
United States
Earth
  • Last time it was in the GT roster, was in GT2
  • Would be nice to have the active aero system animation. Both front air damn and rear spoiler.

• 31409190009_large.jpg

Oh god, How could I forget the 1G Stealth TT. Actually Id like a 2G Stealth with an option to put a 99 VR-4 front end. What do you have done to your Stealth?

Just to keep things on topic, I shall message you. 👍

Here's my story:
While becoming of driving age, I was kind of keeping an eye out for cars of course and soon came across a 1990 Dodge Dayton ES automatic. It has the 12V 6G72. It had just under 68,000 miles and was only driven two PA winters being stored in a heated garage all other times. Got it for $2600 and drove it up until this past fall.
I never drove it in the winter and winter beaters ('96 Olds Sierra, '99 Astro Van AWD).
While checking out a beater for this winter up in the sticks (200X Forester) my dad and I came across this used car dealer that had super nice, low milage vehicles. Sitting front in center was a bright red Dodge Stealth.

We lost all desire to look for anything else.

Some discussing with the parents and a week later, I was the owner of a 1992 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo. Now for the specifics:

The dealership was asking $10K for it, but because they sensed my enthusiasm for the car, I got it out the door titled, registered, etc for just over $8K.
That price still may seem pretty high, but it had only 55,000 miles on it.
It has the Dove Grey or Light Cream leather interior and no sunroof. Adding a sunroof of course, negated the option of having the electronic suspension. Through tons of research, I found out that there were only 21 other exactly identical Stealth TTs made for the '92 model year.

Before I get to the modifications, I will tell you the faults.
The 5th gear synchro is completely gone and unless you're elderly with third, it will grind as well.
The oil cooler core has a slow leak and the hole (I think) causes the oil to become dirty much sooner than it should.

Now for the goodies:
HKS Electronic Valve Controller 4
A'pexi Super-Air Flow Converter
HKS SSQV blow off valve on a custom aluminum Y-pipe
4 inch pipe, including some kind of strange cat, from the downpipe back to the split, where it is 3 inch back to (too) big A'pexi canisters.
Super sticky Firestone Firehawk SZ50 runflats that are slightly wider than stock.
Kenwood 255 head unit
A'pexi boost and EGT gauges.

*breathe*

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow, your story is so similar to mine, its scary!

I obtained a hand-me-down car from my father. A 1992 Mitsubishi Diamante ES. It had the same 6G72 SOHC as the base 3S model. Around that time of owning the vehicle, I was fresh out of high school. Once I learned that the Diamante shared the same base engine as the 3S, I swore up and down, my car was a "detuned sportscar" whatever that means. I pulled a lot of stupid stunts in that car, but that engine was almost bullet proof. It eventually ended up being sold to a junker for 300 bucks.

I got older and wiser. I needed a new car. I stayed with the family and picked up a 2002 Diamante VR-X. My god, I fell in love with that car. Leather seats. Decent MPG. Enough room for you and your boys. I loved everything about it. But due to financial issues, It got repossessed by the bank. I did however took great care for that car, unlike the 92 Diamante. I'm actually looking for another VR-X as a DD.

As of now, I have my 92 VR-4. If you asked any of my close friends on what was my dream car, they would all say a 1g 3S. I fell in love with this vehicle when I was just a kid. My mother was working as a car rental agent in the early 90s. I remember going to her job and seeing this car(s) in the lot. My mind was blown away with cars that had flip lights. I had no idea what was under the hood at the time. I was just a little **** running around my mothers job, haha. Fast forward a couple years later, GT came out.

I was at the age where I could start legally working. I worked summer jobs and saved enough money to play a Playstation. I had a demo, which I STILL have, that had the first GT1 demo. It didnt have the 3000GT\GTO in it, but I got hooked enough to actually buy the game when it came out. First car I bought in the game, a 1G VR-4. After finding out the specs and what it was capable of, I went into a whole different level of worship to the car, haha.

Thats how I eventually ended up with a 92 VR-4 with 62K original miles, at the time of purchase. As of right now I put, about 10k on it, over 2 almost 3 years. The fastest I went in my car was 80MPH, heh. I got it for real cheap because and of course, the transmission was in **** shape. Damn near all synchros were shot and it would have trouble getting into gear. But I thought I mastered driving it with bad synchros. I Was visiting family last XMAS when the transmission went to 100% pure ****. Cracked case and busted gears. But it was expected, it was only a matter of time. So I now have a used 5 speed 18 spline transmission sitting in my living room. Just need to pick up a new clutch, starter, reverse switch and speed sensor before I install it.

The car itself is pretty much stock. Has an unknown catback, K&N filter and HKS SSQ BOV. Im planning to do a VAC delete and EGR delete. Then I will start modding the vehicle. My objective is to give her a diet. Everyone knows the 3S main problem is the weight. I want to keep it with full interior. Lighter wheels, Lighter seats, CC delete ETC..

My brother-in-law had a white '92 3000GT VR-4 but he just sold it maybe a year or so ago. Man I loved that car. He started having a lot of problems with it though, and started a family, so it ended up sitting in the garage. I never even got to drive it :(

Bring it back PD!!

Here's some specifications for a 92 3000 GT VR-4 :

Powertrain: 2972 cc , V6 , Twin turbo , Twin Intercooler , 300 hp / 6000 rpm , 417 Nm / 2500 rpm , 5-speed manual

Dimensions: Length 4564 mm , Width 1839 mm , Height 1252 mm , Weight 1720 kg

Performance: Top speed 264 km/h , 0-100 km/h 6,2 sec
5.jpg
1.jpg

Back