Mitsubishi Starion 1989

• Thread starter dc1
  • 22 comments
885322_10153611728370534_920814792_o.jpg

-Robert

This car was due to be named the "Stallion" but at a meeting it was mispronounced as "Starion" - according to Wikipedia and Mitsubishi that is nonsense and the name comes from Star of Orion - I remember reading about the name issue in the motoring press before the car had even gone on sale, so whether it's true and Mitsubishi are hiding the facts I have no idea.

In the UK it was sold as the Colt Starion which made the Stallion name sound even more plausible - at the time Mitsubishis were branded as Colts in the UK.

Can someone edit the title to Mitsubishi Starion 2600 GSR-VR 1989? All pictures says that this is what he is suggesting..

Here's some spec:

Powertrain: 2555cc , inline-4 , SOHC , Turbo intercooler , 175 hp / 5000 rpm , 314 Nm / 3000 rpm , 5-speed manual

Dimensions: Length 4410 mm , Width 1745 mm , Height 1320 mm , Weight 1320 kg

Performance: Top speed 221 km/h , 0-100 km/h 6,6 sec

Information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Starion

GSR-VR (widebody) was released in 1986 with 176hp/223ft lbs tq at low boost (7.5psi). In 1988 they upped the boost to 10psi producing 188hp/232tq. While the HP number isn't the highest, the amount of torque provided quick acceleration.

Here is a video of my mildly modified widebody Starion (the black one I posted above), they are amazing handling chassis stock and even better with upgrades.

BTW the story about misheard pronouciation of the name Starion to Stallion is completely false, let's not spread this incorrect and demeaning rumor anymore.

-Robert

The Evo gets most of the limelight of the Mitsubishi range, but I personally far prefer their more speciality-type vehicles like this and the Eclipse.

I life and I'm born in Denmark. I remember back in 1983, a Danish model, "Jeanette Starion", won a model competition(don't remember the name of it). She won a huge money price, plus dozen of price presents, sponsor collectable items. She also won a price car, in which Mitsubishi sponsored. One of the sponsor deals for this competition was, that the model who would go on and win, the models last name would be the new Mitsubishi car name.
The car she won was the new Mitsubishi Stallion(not confirmed back then), but the guy that run the show, pronounced the car in that name to her, and the tv viewers.
They named the car Starion, because of Jeanette Starion won that competition, and that car.
The first from their factory as well. I think you can find search the show on YouTube as well.

Back