Mitsubishi to take sabbatical!

GilesGuthrie

Staff Emeritus
United Kingdom
Edinburgh, UK
CMDRTheDarkLord
Mitsubishi has sensationally decided to take a sabbatical from the World Rally Championship next year after struggling to be competitive in 2002.

The factory Ralliart team will only contest an unspecified select number of rounds next season and concentrate instead on rebuilding for a full-scale return in 2004.

Both Ralliart Europe boss Andrew Cowan and Mitsubishi's head of motorsport activity Sven Quandt voted in favour of the shock move, which reduces the number of manufacturers competing in the top class of the WRC to six.

Quandt said: "This decision is necessary as our engineering resources in Japan and Europe are currently in the process of being restructured. We need some time to return as a top WRC team, just as Mitsubishi Motors Corporation needed time to return to profitability and growth over the last 18 months.

"We aim for a successful return with a competitive car in the near future to the benefit of the Mitsubishi brand."

The team has struggled to make this year's Evo WRC2 competitive, its best result coming in Sweden where Alister McRae finished fifth. It was a far cry from the Tommi Makinen era when the Finn notched up four world championships in Lancers.

The decision is a major blow to McRae and his team-mate Francois Delecour. While both are contracted to Mitsubishi for 2003, Cowan has already indicated that he would consider permitting them to take one-off drives elsewhere during the season.

They need a better car than the EVO VII....Maybe the EVO VIII will be out by 2004?

Originally posted by DODGE the VIPER
They need a better car than the EVO VII....Maybe the EVO VIII will be out by 2004?

Well the talk is that they don't want to use a Lancer at all, but are seriously considering the new Colt. Which, given the decreasing size of WRC cars these days would seem to fit.

The Lancer and the Octavia would be the biggest cars out there, wouldn't they?

Reminds me of Ford struggling along with the old Sapphire many years ago...

Originally posted by vat_man
The Lancer and the Octavia would be the biggest cars out there, wouldn't they?

Reminds me of Ford struggling along with the old Sapphire many years ago...

Indeed, although the Impreza is not far off either of them. I have often thought that Skoda should chop the back end off the Octavia and call it the Octavia Coupe, just for rallying's sake. Shove the Octavia RS engine in it, 'borrow' the Haldex Clutch 4WD system and you'd have a cracking road car, ripe for the conversion to WRC spec.

Have you been in a Skoda Octavia by the way? Damn fine car if you ask me. OK, so come of the edges of the plastic are a bit rough, and it's tight 5-up, but a cracking car nonetheless.

Originally posted by GilesGuthrie
Have you been in a Skoda Octavia by the way? Damn fine car if you ask me. OK, so come of the edges of the plastic are a bit rough, and it's tight 5-up, but a cracking car nonetheless.

No - the VW group don't see fit to bring anything except VW's here - Audi is handled by a separate importer.

Australia had a little flirt with Seat some years back, but they're not around anymore - there was some talk two or three years ago they were coming here (and I had my eye on one of the larger models when we were replacing the Vectra) but nothing ever came of it - and VW charge like a wounded bull for anything from the Bora upwards.

it prolly would have u know. :)

the citroen team will be the ones to watch next season i think....
if colin doesnt act like a total dick!

nah... Peugeot and Subaru will be to watch.

Peugeot, well, no explanation needed, really! but Subaru could raise a few eyebrows...

you've got talent and experience in Makinen, and youthful speed in Solberg. You have a relatively reliable car, and you're the only one with Pirelli tires... which means, unlike Michelin, who will have to develop tires that will suit every car, you'll have a really, really good tire (like McLaren and Ferrari had with Goodyear and Bridgestone) to exploit.

the only places where i see Citroen as a wildcard are the tarmac rallies...

I hope Makinen's season goes much better next year though, I am a Subaru supporter forever, and i hope Solberg will stay here for his first World Title :)

Originally posted by PunkRock
nah... Peugeot and Subaru will be to watch.

Peugeot, well, no explanation needed, really! but Subaru could raise a few eyebrows...

you've got talent and experience in Makinen, and youthful speed in Solberg. You have a relatively reliable car, and you're the only one with Pirelli tires... which means, unlike Michelin, who will have to develop tires that will suit every car, you'll have a really, really good tire (like McLaren and Ferrari had with Goodyear and Bridgestone) to exploit.

the only places where i see Citroen as a wildcard are the tarmac rallies...

Have Ford gone back to Michelin? I didn't know that!

I think Makinen's in cruise-and-collect, but Solberg should go from strength to strength.

I think Makinnen will make a strong come-back next year.
He took a learning year to really get to know the Imprexa and the Pirelli tyres, had a lot of bad luck and lost some of his motivation at the end of the season.

But i think ( and i hope ) he will be very competitive next year.

yuo doubting thomas's!!!

watch for loeb and colin!!
they will definitely make thier prescence known!
hail citroen!!
THE MIGHTY DOUBLE CHEVRON SHALL RULE AGAIN!!!!!

oops. sorry bout that :P
nah, they have picked up their gravel techniques and should really suprise :D

Will they be competing in any more rallies next year? I haven't heard much about this...:confused:

yeah they weren't really racing last year as it was all r&d stuff setting up the car etc....

full race program for the team this year :D

Oh ok, i knew that they only competed in about 8 rallies this year...

Citroen, according to their web site is supposed to compete in all the WRC events this season, but I'm afraid to say that maybe Tommi Makinen has lost his edge after his big crash in 2001. It's too bad because he finaly ahs a decent ride with Subaru.

Well, he is starting to regain that showing some form in the late season..and most of the times he had to retire was because of reliability problems in the Sube.

Back