Mixed Reality? Wow!

• Thread starter CTstryk
  • 14 comments
Someone forgot to bolt the seat down. The guy is flopping all over the place. Sheesh! (JK. It looks really convincing. It's hard to see where the sim stops and reality begins.)

Good advertisement for seat movers over rig movers.

I realise that the static camera wouldn't give the ideal impression of what to expect from the driver's view, but having the steering wheel bobbing around independently of the car would still certainly hinder the suspension of disbelief. Yes, the road surface effects represented in the motion could maybe be adequately tied to car movement on screen, but any g-force effects would be alien, and result in a disconnect of a should-be-fixed-in-place part of the car. Also, I find that on screen car movement is generally undesirable compared to on screen environment movement that compensates for car movement. The video in the OP is pretty good in that regard, but that also makes it more at odds with the bobbing steering wheel.

Hmmmmmm interesting, sort of a "let down" now knowing its fake.
First impressions had me blown away. :lol:

Hmmmmmm interesting, sort of a "let down" now knowing its fake.
First impressions had me blown away. :lol:
It's not fake. The point is to have the view act as standard VR, but augment with a choice of real life components. Your own body, the wheel, shifter, etc. would be real life things one might choose to superimpose on the VR image.

Aside from the view position, it's absolutely what the driver would see.

Yeah, it does appear the driver is dead on. But how does this tech work?
I would really like to see a full setup from A-Z. so confused..

Guys, I'm pretty sure that is not what he sees. That is for the videos. He has everything covered in Green screen.
You're correct on this. Look through the lens on his glasses, and you can see what he actually sees. It appears to be a single screen setup in front of him. It explains why he doesn't turn his head when cars are close to his right, or why he didn't look into any of the turns he encountered. If he actually seen what the final video showed, his head would have turned as things happened.

Also the monitor he was using was most likely fixed to the motion rig he was on, so the motion effects to him were probably correct. It just comes across as odd, when you see him and the seat moving, but the projected wheel is locked in place behind his Accuforce wheel.

The video as we see it is a product of cleaver editing, perspective and, ample amounts of green screen. If someone were to create a projected image similar to what is depicted, I feel this would be just as immersive as VR. In some ways it would be better because; the player (for lack of a better term) wouldn't need to seclude him self from the outside world. And he wouldn't get the "screen door" effect.

That would be broken with a motion rig and a fixed image. Just as LeMansAide explained.

Last edited:
You're correct on this. Look through the lens on his glasses, and you can see what he actually sees. It appears to be a single screen setup in front of him. It explains why he doesn't turn his head when cars are close to his right, or why he didn't look into any of the turns he encountered. If he actually seen what the final video showed, his head would have turned as things happened.

Also the monitor he was using was most likely fixed to the motion rig he was on, so the motion effects to him were probably correct. It just comes across as odd, when you see him and the seat moving, but the projected wheel is locked in place behind his Accuforce wheel.

The video as we see it is a product of cleaver editing, perspective and, ample amounts of green screen. If someone were to create a projected image similar to what is depicted, I feel this would be just as immersive as VR. In some ways it would be better because; the player (for lack of a better term) wouldn't need to seclude him self from the outside world. And he wouldn't get the "screen door" effect.

That would be broken with a motion rig and a fixed image. Just as LeMansAide explained.

Check out my rig, it's the most immersive out there. No camera trickery needed.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=X_x3EDdgXas

If graphics continue to improve and if VR displays offered much greater resolution including HDR lighting then the graphics within the VR display itself should appear as more natural and realistic.

The problem with mixed reality or interacting with your real world wheel/shifter compared to the ones within a VR world are numerous. For instance, how would they match with different vehicles? Size, positioning and height for memory muscle should also need to match with the VR cars simulated cockpit.

That would require having different wheel rims more suited to the car being driven, but also being able to physically move the H-Shifter/Seq Shifter for the immersion to be more realistic and even with F1 type cars the seating position to be adjustable and accurate also, not like a typical seating position.

Real World & Simulated World Issues
I see similar issues with Mayamans own superb build....
Sitting in a pre-built Porsche based cockpit is going to feel great when driving a Porsche car.
Yet to me seem weird when driving very different types of cars. Regardless if a track camera is used over a massive curved screen.

Again for me anyways, others are welcome to have their own opinion I see this as a problem with physical dashboards or cockpits. They do a fine job replicating what they represent in real life but have these issues when driving varied simulated cars. They also make using on-screen dashboards impracticable. Trying to match the real world interior of a car with the very different ones in the simulated world is pointless unless the real world cockpit/dash is the purpose/function for the simulated car to match it.

For instance, if having a physical seating position to the left of a build with the centered screen is wrong, if you know your driving a right handed based car or a single seater type car. Sitting in a "car specific real cockpit or dash" when driving different types of car like an F1 car, open wheeler, rally car or any other make model of car is a bit silly too if talking from an increased immersion perspective. This regardless of how advanced the screen motion or anything else is. The principle here from the start is flawed immersion for such variation of different simulated cars. Even though the hardware may be impressive to increase the realism and no doubt is quite amazing, to enjoy all the types of different potential cars then a themed cockpit build other than for styling purposes or to represent only the real car in simulation is kinda pointless isn't it?

VR immersion as it improves will allow the simulated cockpit seem more real. You are then encompassed not in the real world but the VR world. A physical cockpit build that could allow easy adaption to move things like the shifter/handbrake so that they align with the car driven in the VR world would enable your memory muscle to match the VR cockpit. To me that would be an interesting direction for a cockpit build to go but is no easy feat being able to cope wih alternative sides L/R of the seat or position these to match the simulated car and them be strongly fastened where needed. The alternative is to have different cockpits built to replicate the seat position and placement of these for the car being driven when immersed in the VR world of that car.

As for "Green Screen" it's amusing but only any use to try and make such videos for others to enjoy.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back