Mobile Pop Up Issue

• Thread starter barak181
  • 15 comments
United States
Phoenix, AZ
MonyB
I've recently have encountered an issue when browsing the forums from my phone. I'm using Android OS and Chrome. The issue is that when I'm trying to read a thread, I'll get a full page pop-op ad - usually the same ad about Victoria Principal at 71 - that I can't get tot go away. When I try to press what looks to be the close button, u get taken to whatever click bait, spam site that's pushing the ad.

I've done multiple malware scans on my phone, I've checked Chrome's pop up setting and they should be blocked. I've gotten to the point where I'm stumped. It doesn't happen from my desktop or laptop, so it's somehow local to my phone. Has anyone encountered a smartphone issue or have any ideas how to stop this from happening?

I’m sorry, that definitely should not be happening. Can you share a screenshot of the ad the next time you see it?

I've recently have encountered an issue when browsing the forums from my phone. I'm using Android OS and Chrome. The issue is that when I'm trying to read a thread, I'll get a full page pop-op ad - usually the same ad about Victoria Principal at 71 - that I can't get tot go away. When I try to press what looks to be the close button, u get taken to whatever click bait, spam site that's pushing the ad.

I've done multiple malware scans on my phone, I've checked Chrome's pop up setting and they should be blocked. I've gotten to the point where I'm stumped. It doesn't happen from my desktop or laptop, so it's somehow local to my phone. Has anyone encountered a smartphone issue or have any ideas how to stop this from happening?
I have been having a similar issue for a couple weeks. I get the fuul page pop up whether I'm on Chrome or Firefox on my android phone

kjb
I have been having a similar issue for a couple weeks. I get the fuul page pop up whether I'm on Chrome or Firefox on my android phone
Can you share a screenshot of what this looks like? What page are you visiting when you see it?

Last edited:
I will have to wait until I get home. I can't recreate the issue at work on my cell phone. I will try when I get home and pot the screenshots

I’m sorry, that definitely should not be happening. Can you share a screenshot of the ad the next time you see it?
Sorry, I somehow missed your reply until now.

It's definitely happening with much less frequency now and it doesn't only happen on your site (it happened on the Vice News site yesterday but now it's something about Richard Simmons) which is why I think it has something to do with my phone rather than the site I'm browsing.

Although what is weird is that I've done every scan I can think of and made sure all the privacy/anti-pop up settings are enabled in Chrome and it still randomly happens.

Last edited:
Sorry, I somehow missed your reply until now.

It's definitely happening with much less frequency now and it doesn't only happen on your site (it happened on the Vice News site yesterday but now it's something about Richard Simmons) which is why I think it has something to do with my phone rather than the site I'm browsing.

Although what is weird is that I've done every scan I can think of and made sure all the privacy/anti-pop up settings are enabled in Chrome and it still randomly happens.
That’s good news, but please do be sure to grab a screenshot if you see it again. 👍

@Jordan I had the popup issue again after going a whole day without seeing it. I did take a screenshot though
Screenshot_20220428-054731.jpg

Hmm, OK, that's a bit odd. Is it appearing over top of the page content itself as you scroll? There's no way to close it?

That’s good news, but please do be sure to grab a screenshot if you see it again. 👍
It just happened when I was reading the Live Events article. Richard Simmons is the new ad of choice, it seems.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220429-112356_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220429-112356_Chrome.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 28
Screenshot_20220621-080609_Chrome.jpg

Comes up when I open a thread then like every 45 or so seconds. And the part of it rising from the bottom sometimes layers on top of itself multiple times so I have to collapse it that many times too.

Last edited:
I've seen upwards of 6 different copies of this ad running at the same time...Constantly rotating that animation...

Makes the site completely unusable when it starts...

Back