[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,789 comments
If you want to do stuff like make the game harder, you could make a separate mod that remixes the game and tweaks opponents and races. Giving the opponents better parts, especially better tires, would make the gamer harder without having to alter BHP.

I'm not planning to do a mod like that, although I believe Submaniac is working on his own mod with overhauled events and opponents. I'm not sure how much difference the AI parts make to be honest - at one point I accidentally put a 300hp Venturi into a race full of stock hatchbacks and it struggled to make the podium.

I'm not planning to do a mod like that, although I believe Submaniac is working on his own mod with overhauled events and opponents. I'm not sure how much difference the AI parts make to be honest - at one point I accidentally put a 300hp Venturi into a race full of stock hatchbacks and it struggled to make the podium.

That's one interesting thing to experiment with in the game. Is it possible to alter/remove the rubber-banding? Not sure if it would fit with what you are doing, but as another mod, maybe part of Submaniac's mod, that could be interesting.

I kind of wish the game could be a little harder, but mostly just a bit slower to progress in the early stages, with less prize cars that can greatly boost your revenue. But if it was it would end up requiring grinding the same events a lot, and what I had in mind was more among the lines of more events. As I said before, three times the events. But unfortunately, so far that's impossible.

Eyo yes, my mod will indeed overhaul AI opponents and give them actual parts instead of power multipliers and tyres.
An example of the difference it makes in pacing on tuned cars is for example the Nismo 400R that was my first test mule, in the Tuned Turbo Cup.

This is an AI driven car, with the car in first place being a second 400R. At the end of the 3rd lap as you can see there's quite the lead vs 3rd place Mine's R34. The 400R is tuned to the max using its own parts and uses the same tire compound as the vanilla game. I also noticed that tuned opponents are able to take some turns faster, like on Test Course where they might go over the 290-300kmh speeds in the turns.

I've yet to make a thread for my mod, i should do it one day...
upload_2021-5-5_16-8-45.png

Last edited:
Hello Dear Developers, i Wanted to say you about new cars. as I found out yesterday, several people have already learned how to add cars to Gran Turismo 2, I saw 2 videos about adding Lada 2106, and McLaren Mp4 / 4 Ayrton Senna. I would like you to add their code and add them to the game.
youtube.com/watch?v=N9wizlbomPY

here are the links to these cars. if possible, find similar models, and add them to the game. thank you for your time and attention

This is cool and all, but for the Espace F1 at least, I think a Williams body would be a better fit.

Eyo yes, my mod will indeed overhaul AI opponents and give them actual parts instead of power multipliers and tyres.
An example of the difference it makes in pacing on tuned cars is for example the Nismo 400R that was my first test mule, in the Tuned Turbo Cup.

This is an AI driven car, with the car in first place being a second 400R. At the end of the 3rd lap as you can see there's quite the lead vs 3rd place Mine's R34. The 400R is tuned to the max using its own parts and uses the same tire compound as the vanilla game. I also noticed that tuned opponents are able to take some turns faster, like on Test Course where they might go over the 290-300kmh speeds in the turns.

I've yet to make a thread for my mod, i should do it one day...
View attachment 1009012
So, you could theoretically remove the rubberbanding that the AI use.

Not theoretically, i've already done it in my mod. My screenshot above also is from a race in which i've properly tuned the 400R opponent, and not touched any other car, and so shows that the 400R, when tuned, is faster than the vanilla game's tires+powermultiplier combo. It's all very doable, just not GT2+'s aim, just my mod's so far.
One Day....

So, you could theoretically remove the rubberbanding that the AI use.

Not theoretically, i've already done it in my mod[...]

But, aside from tuning, rubber-banding was ALSO disabled? Like, if you go very far ahead, they won't suddenly go faster than they would realistically be able to? And if you're far behind, they won't wait for you?

I'm not sure because you only said you changed how the car is tuned, not that you removed rubber-banding, which I assumed could be turned off because it can be turned ON for 2 Player races on the options menu.

But, aside from tuning, rubber-banding was ALSO disabled? Like, if you go very far ahead, they won't suddenly go faster than they would realistically be able to? And if you're far behind, they won't wait for you?

I'm not sure because you only said you changed how the car is tuned, not that you removed rubber-banding, which I assumed could be turned off because it can be turned ON for 2 Player races on the options menu.
ASFAIK there are more than one type of rubber banding used in GT2, and it may be possible to switch between them in the races. You may have noticed that the rubber banding in endurance races is clearly different to the other races, as the field of cars in endurances spreads in a couple of laps which doesn't happen in the shorter races.

It could be that that the rubber banding has been set to the endurance race type in every event, however I think @submaniac93 has disabled the rubber banding altogether in his mod.

Ah i thought i'd written it but yeah, i've removed rubberbanding altogether. It was the first thing i did actually lol.
I want opponents in my mod to perform as their cars will let them rather than how rubberband will force them to.
Indeed there are 2 types or rubberbanding. One that acts depending on your distance to every opponent, and one that scales between opponents as well.
I've shown that as well in an other video of mine.

GT2 also has some of my least favorite events, and I feel 1 and 3 did it better. It splits everything into a series of single races, rather than the whole thing. So that means the early races are easy-peasy weak opponents with only the later ones having any hope of being a challenge. Then they didn't bring back some of my favorites like Normal Car cup.

So I'd love to see a mod to revampt the events.

!   .jpg

Did you fix this?

I guess say it's an '80 model, so it still makes sense in the '80s Cup.

Also, if it had a silver color too, and they used that name by mistake, maybe it was intended to be in the game too? Could we add just that one new color to it?

Did you fix this?

The list of fixes is in the first post.

(The text you've screenshotted is largely written or rewritten by me too.)

Also, if it had a silver color too, and they used that name by mistake, maybe it was intended to be in the game too? Could we add just that one new color to it?

There is no silver colour for the car in any version of the game, and I've never been able to find a Toyota colour named 'Jetliner Silver'. The 1978 Starlet brochure shows the Starlet S in Adventure Red and Straight Green, which is presumably why PD made those two colours. I don't know if it was available in any others.

The list of fixes is in the first post

I asked because the first time I looked I didn't find it. Should have used the search function.

Also, on the GT wikia page for the Unisia R33 Skyline, it says the specs are the same from the R34 JGTC models, rather than like the other R33 JGTC race cars. I looked that up on the list of fixes and didn't find anything about that.

Also, on the GT wikia page for the Unisia R33 Skyline, it says the specs are the same from the R34 JGTC models, rather than like the other R33 JGTC race cars.

The power levels are 680ps for the 1997-spec cars, and 712ps for the 1999-spec cars, that R33 being 1999-spec. I presume it's done on purpose, as the '96 Supra makes slightly less power than the '99-spec cars too. I'd guess that it's to reflect the development of the cars over time, and to balance each year's cars against each other.

The power levels are 680ps for the 1997-spec cars, and 712ps for the 1999-spec cars, that R33 being 1999-spec. I presume it's done on purpose, as the '96 Supra makes slightly less power than the '99-spec cars too. I'd guess that it's to reflect the development of the cars over time, and to balance each year's cars against each other.

I see.

Also, I just saw on the page for the pre-facelift 180/200/240SX, it says it is incorrectly listed as a 1996 model in the international versions of Gran Turismo 2. I didn't find that on the list of fixes. Was that intentional by the developers, like it's supposed to be a '96, or is it an error?

And sorry if I'm bothering you with all these questions that all turn out to be something already adressed or that's supposed to be like that.

Also, I just saw on the page for the pre-facelift 180/200/240SX, it says it is incorrectly listed as a 1996 model in the international versions of Gran Turismo 2. I didn't find that on the list of fixes. Was that intentional by the developers, like it's supposed to be a '96, or is it an error?

The regional renaming is a complete mess in GT2, so I've not tackled oddities like this because eventually I'd like to remove it all entirely. The car is a 180SX Type X '94, there wasn't a 2-litre version of the S13 200SX or 240SX anyway, never mind which particular year PD put on their fictional name for the car.

Trivia on that Wiki is also largely the opinions of whoever wrote a specific page - in actual fact that car is the same 1994 model from GT1, PD just changed the labelled year to 1995 late in GT2's development. Seeing as the real 180SX trim level in question was produced from 1994 to 1996, both years are equally correct - PD however reserve the 1996 label for the facelifted model that came out later that year.

Don't worry about asking questions - I don't mind these sorts of discussions as they're relevant to the mod and sometimes do find new issues that need to be fixed.

Ah i thought i'd written it but yeah, i've removed rubberbanding altogether. It was the first thing i did actually lol.
I want opponents in my mod to perform as their cars will let them rather than how rubberband will force them to.
Indeed there are 2 types or rubberbanding. One that acts depending on your distance to every opponent, and one that scales between opponents as well.
I've shown that as well in an other video of mine.

I've started getting back into the PS1 GT games, and I'm very interested in some of the modding work that's been done and is yet to be done.

I think it's worth creating a thread for your mod to document whatever features you're working on, or what you might have planned. I for one would enjoy playing with the rubberbanding disabled. Something I'd also like to see is a version where all the races (except endurance races) have more laps. All the 2 lap sprints start to feel a bit hectic, so it might be fun if even the shortest races were at least 3 or 4 laps.

Sorry if it's been asked but has anyone put together a save game file that has the licence tests passed in all gold?

I'm gonna get stuck into this mod because it's amazing but I have neither the time nor the inclination to spend forever trying to all gold the licence tests and want to cheat like the wet blouse that I am :lol::eek:

Cheers in advance.

EDIT - Should've used the search function before posting. My bad. Thank you @80T you legend.

Thank you to @pez2k for the mod too and to all GT2 modders out there for adding more and more interest into the legend that is GT2.

80T
As the old saves are not compatible with this mod, if anyone needs it, I've just cooked some Gold licenses for GT2 Plus [B, A, I-C, I-B, I-A & S] ;)
Thought it might come in handy for whomever doesn't want to do the Licenses again (I know some of them can be a bit.. frustrating :banghead::banghead::banghead:)

Licenses status:

View attachment 981633

And the prize cars of course.. :D

View attachment 981634

View attachment 981635

View attachment 981636

View attachment 981637

View attachment 981638

View attachment 981639

View attachment 981640

This is a clean new game, thus there are no races done, options changed or anything else other than the licenses. ̶C̶o̶m̶p̶a̶t̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶N̶T̶S̶C̶-̶U̶ ̶V̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶.̶
EDIT: Should now be compatible with all regions, US - [SCUS-94455] / EU [SCES-02380] / JP [SCPS-10116] - File updated
Happy Hollidays! And Happy Racing!.. :gtpflag:

Last edited:
@dylansan yeah i should start planning my mod page, it just that i don't feel enough has been done to warrant it but maybe it's just me thinking that lol.
Fair enough, but if you have a solid idea of what changes you plan to make, it could be useful for getting feedback or collaboration, or even just sharing anything interesting you've found or come up with.

Few questions on the mod guys!
Can I use game shark codes with the modded versions ?

Can you get some ones save file with just the licences done and no races completed?

does the modded version provide better graphics?

cheers

Can I use game shark codes with the modded versions ?

Can you get some ones save file with just the licences done and no races completed?

does the modded version provide better graphics?

Codes should work the same, just be aware that for the US and Japanese versions you'll need codes for the final releases of each (1.2 and 1.1 respectively). Part codes for 'hybridding' may be different too.

Just a few posts up is a quote of a post from earlier in the thread with a savegame that someone provided.

The graphics aren't changed in the mod as the game is already pretty close to the limits of the PS1. There are some texture updates / fixes, but they stay within the palette and resolution limitations of the game.

Codes should work the same, just be aware that for the US and Japanese versions you'll need codes for the final releases of each (1.2 and 1.1 respectively). Part codes for 'hybridding' may be different too.

Just a few posts up is a quote of a post from earlier in the thread with a savegame that someone provided.

The graphics aren't changed in the mod as the game is already pretty close to the limits of the PS1. There are some texture updates / fixes, but they stay within the palette and resolution limitations of the game.
Thanks for your help

Hi, this is the first time I post here. I would like to try modding this game, and I would like to start with texture modding first. I plan to turn Galant VR-G into its 1995 model, since the body line is a bit similar (and I own that car too IRL). I have several questions:
- What tool that I need to extract and view car textures?
- If I modify Galant VR-G texture, will it affect VR4 models? And alternatively, will it affect racing modification model too?

Hi, this is the first time I post here. I would like to try modding this game, and I would like to start with texture modding first. I plan to turn Galant VR-G into its 1995 model, since the body line is a bit similar (and I own that car too IRL). I have several questions:
- What tool that I need to extract and view car textures?
- If I modify Galant VR-G texture, will it affect VR4 models? And alternatively, will it affect racing modification model too?

The general modding thread is probably a better place for questions, but GT2TextureEditor is the tool for car texture work, and you'll probably want GT2CarViewer to see how the textures look when applied to a model. Each car's texture is completely independent to any other, to the point where the night version of each car (with lit headlights) is a separate model and texture.

Be warned though that texture editing is quite involved, as each area is limited to 16 colours and you'll need an old version of Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop that still supports 16-colour images.

The general modding thread is probably a better place for questions, but GT2TextureEditor is the tool for car texture work, and you'll probably want GT2CarViewer to see how the textures look when applied to a model. Each car's texture is completely independent to any other, to the point where the night version of each car (with lit headlights) is a separate model and texture.

Be warned though that texture editing is quite involved, as each area is limited to 16 colours and you'll need an old version of Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop that still supports 16-colour images.

Oh crap, I didn't realize I was asking in the wrong thread. Thank you for the answer, I will post my experiment there.

I've been playing with the complete version for a while, and it's great! However, I after looking through the change list, I've noticed what might be discrepancies in what fixes are included.

For example:

Jaguar XJR: Removed 'Vehicle' from name.

In the dealership, the word 'vehicle' is still included, as shown below:
Screenshot 2021-06-07 120733.png Screenshot 2021-06-07 120715.png

Does the change only apply to the name as it appears in the garage and in races, etc? Just skimming through, I've found similar unchanged names for the Lotus Elan S2, Corvette Stingray '82, and others. I don't have any of these cars in my garage to check if the text is changed there. Other text corrections like paint names seem to be included as expected.

Edit: I've just tested the Elan by purchasing it, and it seems I had the right idea—in the garage list, the name is corrected, but when viewing the car in the garage or dealer, the big "vehicle banner" text above is still wrong. I'm guessing that's harder to fix, which is rather annoying.

If there is a way to change them, is the biggest difficulty that they are images, rather than text? If you need someone to create corrected graphics for some cars, I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Edit2: After reading more of the thread it seems like the vehicle banners aren't too difficult to change, as long as you can create an image, but the actual dealer menus are much harder. A shame, but it's understandable that it wouldn't be a big priority.

Last edited:
After reading more of the thread it seems like the vehicle banners aren't too difficult to change, as long as you can create an image, but the actual dealer menus are much harder. A shame, but it's understandable that it wouldn't be a big priority.

Yep, I'm not much of an artist so the art changes aren't as complete as I'd like so far. Menu backgrounds are a pain, and I'm deferring big changes to dealerships and banners because I'm eventually planning to switch the car names over to the accurate Japanese names, which will take a fair bit of work with banners and menus but will get rid of all of the '(J)' suffixes and made-up names like '240SX Type X'.

Yep, I'm not much of an artist so the art changes aren't as complete as I'd like so far. Menu backgrounds are a pain, and I'm deferring big changes to dealerships and banners because I'm eventually planning to switch the car names over to the accurate Japanese names, which will take a fair bit of work with banners and menus but will get rid of all of the '(J)' suffixes and made-up names like '240SX Type X'.
Thanks for the response.

Like I said, if you'd like someone to work on some banners, let me know. If there are any cars where you know the changed name is final, perhaps you could pick a few to start with and I can look into it. The XJR for example may just be a matter of blacking out the "Vehicle" part.

I'm not familiar with the tools required but if I read correctly, it's a standard PS1 image thing with common editor tools, so I could try to figure it out on my own.

Back