[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,811 comments
As mentioned above, no. Things are going to continue changing constantly with every version, so I'm not intending to chase down compatibility bugs until everything is more complete. The bug that was causing crashes on more accurate platforms and hardware was fixed in my tooling a while ago, but I have no idea whether the mod currently works on hardware or not as I have no practical way to test it frequently nor any inclination to.

Menu backgrounds are made up of dozens or even hundreds of tiny tiles, which each use either a 16-colour palette or a single solid colour, with a limit of only 16 discrete palettes per menu. The format is known well enough to dump menu images in a non-editable way, but the difficult part is finding a practical way to both make them easily editable and avoid making it extremely easy to break them so that they're no longer importable.

I managed to hex edit the Vauxhall dealership onto the North City menu, however the tiles and palettes for that area of the menu already existed and I was mainly copying them over (and merging palettes to make space for it). That edit still took a full week of work however, making menus impractical to edit until I figure out a good format to convert them into for editing.

Car models aren't fully understood - the reflection data is a mystery, and without knowing how that works it's impossible to create new faces / polygons on a model unless they're matte and non-reflective. Again, the model format is known enough to hex edit minor things to fix texture mapping or move vertices, but any major work is again impractical without a tool to convert to and from a common format that can be opened with tools like Blender or 3DS Max.

The race music is editable, but the length of each track appears to be hardcoded into the game, so unless you want to use music that's identical in length to the originals, you end up with gaps or tracks starting and ending halfway through. Fortunately there are no music bugs to fix, so I'm not looking into this at all.

Track models are also more or less an unknown - there are very few track bugs so I've not investigated this at all either.

The Arcade mode car stats are also a mystery, I don't even know where they're stored never mind how to edit them. The same applies for the manufacturer data that blocks BMW cars from having aftermarket wheels fitted in GT mode, which may be hardcoded.

The savegame format is only very vaguely known - this wouldn't normally be an issue, however the 'attract mode' replays that play when the game is left idle at the main menu are actually a replay savegame, and broken in the same way as any other save.

That particular bug is likely fixed for the next version, but that's not a guarantee that there are no other incompatibilities.
Dont worry i can test it on real hardware if you want..

I'm guessing that looking into programs and environments used way back when the game was in development isn't really a viable way to uncover more ways to make more changes within the game's files?

Dont worry i can test it on real hardware if you want..

I'm not currently looking for new testers, but I appreciate the offer, thanks.

I'm guessing that looking into programs and environments used way back when the game was in development isn't really a viable way to uncover more ways to make more changes within the game's files?

Unfortunately not, it's all custom formats, so someone would have to get Polyphony themselves to hand over the custom tools they wrote (if indeed any still exist).

Pez2k,i have suggestion..can you change the [R] nissan r33 gtr lm (nismo) wheels to gran turismo1rm wheels???the wheels that polyphony offer was a bit off..it just weird that they cant give the original wheels rather than fictional one..

Pez2k,i have suggestion..can you change the [R] nissan r33 gtr lm (nismo) wheels to gran turismo1rm wheels?

No, GT1's wheels are textured in a different way, so they can't be ported over. The alternate RM is also taken straight from an early GT2 build, so any differences from GT1 are changes by PD themselves.

(1/2) "Weight" reduction; How often have there been moments during the mod's development where attempting to bring in a new element (livery, car, list of challengers additions, text etc.) results in an insufficiency of general memory to fit it in? Does it still happen during the current development branch?

@madmike121212 The 3-spoke wheels are actually accurate. The cars sported those during the presentation of the cars in 1995 Le Mans. I agree that they're not as pretty however.

img-44786813f5.jpg

I always thought the normal wheels the Racing Mod for the GT-R LM Road Car made sense. You know, because the racing mod is based on the Zexel and Kure R33:
80341921_164447281532556_4385737082182277631_n.jpg

(1/2) "Weight" reduction; How often have there been moments during the mod's development where attempting to bring in a new element (livery, car, list of challengers additions, text etc.) results in an insufficiency of general memory to fit it in? Does it still happen during the current development branch?

While making alpha 4 I added a few custom cars, but found the limit on the number of car bodies, and refocused again on restoring content rather than custom stuff. I've not bumped into anything else recently myself, but I will need to be wary of the limit on the total length of all car names.

(2/2) "Weight" reduction; How far are you willing to go with removing "the unnecessary (once an element considered even reaches that status)" in order to free up that precious memory space? Or would it be best to wait for major strides in what can be changed with the game and free up space there, so as not to cut out what's already true to the game?

Pez2k, can you change the [R] r33 gtr lm wheels to the kure r33??? Im pretty sure that wheels will fit it...or is there anyway we can change the wheels at the wheel shop???seriously i love that wheels, but the pd wheels just so big..

(2/2) "Weight" reduction; How far are you willing to go with removing "the unnecessary (once an element considered even reaches that status)" in order to free up that precious memory space? Or would it be best to wait for major strides in what can be changed with the game and free up space there, so as not to cut out what's already true to the game?

As mentioned earlier, I've removed all of the unused car bodies, and the fictional Exxon versions of the Esso liveries. I've already planned out what I intend to add, even things that aren't possible to make yet, and this is sufficient to make enough space.

Pez2k, can you change the [R] r33 gtr lm wheels to the kure r33?

No, I don't take requests, sorry. It's a pretty easy mod to do yourself.

An alternative would be add the colors with both hard and soft tops, like:
British Racing Green
British Racing Green/Soft Top
Just like the Tommy Kaira R32 with the option for side stripe or side decal for all colors.
Not possible, right?

An alternative would be add the colors with both hard and soft tops
Not possible, right?

No, the model and textures are completely different, and the final model does not have enough free colours in the palette used for the roof nor enough space on the texture map. The textured soft-top was probably removed on the later model specifically because there wasn't enough space for it.

Will you restore the white color for Tommy Kaira ZZ-S and the gold color for the Clio V6 (both from the demos)?

If they're real colours and not just placeholders. The only cars that I'm restoring fictional colours for are the racecars and concepts / prototypes that never really made production.

I know you won't do it, but can the license times be changed or are they hard coded?

They can be edited if someone wants to figure out the file format and optionally re-record the demo replays. They're different in JP to the other regions too, been debating whether to update that version with the US / PAL times.

Hi pez2k
Thank you for your work. Great job
Can you restore Toyota Chaser LM Edition and Denso Sard livery (Supra RZ'95) for TRD3000GT from Gran Turismo 1?

Attachments

• Toyota_Chaser_LM_Edition.JPG.jpg
    Toyota_Chaser_LM_Edition.JPG.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 20
  • 456778-230ce2c81363211c34a67735c4d0b956.jpg
    456778-230ce2c81363211c34a67735c4d0b956.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 23
Chaser is here. It's actually not a conversion, but i've edited the regular Chaser RM to make it just like the GT1 car ^^
I also recreated the wheels in a 3D program in order to have a good quality rim texture for it.
As for the Supra, it's impossible to make accurately on the 3000GT RM due to the bodies having different texture mapping. A lot of work is required.

Hi pez2k
Thank you for your work. Great job
Can you restore Toyota Chaser LM Edition and Denso Sard livery (Supra RZ'95) for TRD3000GT from Gran Turismo 1?

The Chaser LM will be in future versions of the mod - I actually did most of the work to put it ingame a while ago but shelved it as I didn't have a good enough model, before Submaniac made his. I don't have any plans to bring back the old Supra RM as the maximum number of car models is restrictive and it'd be a massive amount of work to remake it.

Latest Posts

Back