[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,813 comments
It's also worth mentioning as an aside that the 1100kg figure listed on that website for the Storm GT1 is (I believe) the class minimum dry weight, minus fuel and driver. Most cars in GT2 seem to use wet / kerb weights, so the car would probably be closer to 1200kg at least, assuming that Lister did manage to get it down to the minimum weight, which isn't always possible. In GTR2 for example, it runs at 1180kg plus fuel weight (which is simulated unlike GT2).

I had no idea this was the case in GT2 thanks for pointing that out. So theoretically with a driver and full fuel the Storm would weigh 1219 or so kg or 2687lbs. Another type of GT class car the Nissan GT-R GT500 cars. Their real life curb weight is listed 1200kg just as the are in game...

https://www.supercars.net/blog/2002-nismo-skyline-gt-r-jgtc/

so it seems like PD doesn't do the net weight thing after all.

I had no idea this was the case in GT2 thanks for pointing that out. So theoretically with a driver and full fuel the Storm would weigh 1219 or so kg or 2687lbs. Another type of GT class car the Nissan GT-R GT500 cars. Their real life curb weight is listed 1200kg just as the are in game...

https://www.supercars.net/blog/2002-nismo-skyline-gt-r-jgtc/

so it seems like PD doesn't do the net weight thing after all.

I wouldn't trust that site just too far @Raine, they neglect to mention the fact that 2002 was the last year they raced the RB straight six, swapping it for the V6. And then they say that their pic is the 2002 car when it is in fact the 2003 car. They also have a Supra in among their pics for no reason.

Anyway, to add a little to @pez2k's point about the amount of work required to get all of the Race Mods to official specs, I think that's probably why in the following games we got less racing cars overall but all were officially licensed. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Wow so many knowledgeable people here thanks for those corrections GTveteran! I understand what you guys are saying. I guess I just love the Lister Race Car and wish there was a Race Car spec version of it accurate to it's real life counterparts at least in GT3 and 4 or later... meaning 2425-2720lbs no heavier as no Lister Race car weighted over than I think.

I guess I just love the Lister Race Car and wish there was a Race Car spec version of it accurate to it's real life counterparts at least in GT3 and 4 or later...

If I ever get time to fix GT3 bugs, then don't worry, that will be one of them!

I always thought that PD modeled the specs for the JGTC GT300 cars at the last race of the year or something with air restrictors and succes ballast in place, which would explain why the Weds Celica and Momo MR2 are overweight and somewhat underpowered compared to their real-life counterparts.

I always thought that PD modeled the specs for the JGTC GT300 cars at the last race of the year or something with air restrictors and succes ballast in place, which would explain why the Weds Celica and Momo MR2 are overweight and somewhat underpowered compared to their real-life counterparts.

Yeah we covered those a few pages ago. Or maybe in the other thread... Our man @pez2k has noted our concerns.:lol:

It certainly seems like that's what they've done but there's no way to know for definite. The weights could be from a road car? It doesn't hurt the MR-2 so much, you can still win with it with a good close race but speaking for myself, I can not get near the front of the field with the Celica. But it handles well and the AI versions do fine when they race it so I don't know what happened to it.

The specs i could find fro the Celica make it out to be about 975kg, and the MR2 about 1150kg. Sadly those specs i've only been able to find in JGTC games lol, but those make sense considering the FTO is 960kg, while most other GT300 cars are 1050-1100kg. I doubt JGTC rules let winning cars (if they could win this much at first) get 400kg of ballast lol. The thing about them being road car weights imo is believable.
The GT-Four is 1380kg, while the MR-2 GT-S is 1270kg (1280kg for the 1996 model).
The Weds Celica is 1380kg, and the Momo MR2 is 1290kg.

If I ever get time to fix GT3 bugs, then don't worry, that will be one of them!

That's amazing I'd highly appreciate it! You do good work I'm surprised you do all this for free though. @submaniac93 do you think the race regulators made RE Amemiya put ballast in the rx7's to handicap it?

I have honestly no idea. But maybe. If the car won races at all then it got ballast, plus there's also reliability that could be a factor and such. I wish i had more info from back then bu i was too young and never had access to direct info for japanese races :c

I have honestly no idea. But maybe. If the car won races at all then it got ballast, plus there's also reliability that could be a factor and such. I wish i had more info from back then bu i was too young and never had access to direct info for japanese races :c

I can imagine reliability being an issue. 13b two rotors easily make 300+ hp turbocharged. So to have a 20b three rotor limited to 300hp for the race would be air and intake restricted possible choking the rotor out. I honestly thing Mazda or rather RE Amemiya would have been better suited to GT500. They could have used a NA 4 rotor with 500hp and easily kept up with keeping reliability AND the motor wouldn't be too restricted and choked out. Reliability is only an issue with Wankel rotaries in street trim when they have to have regulators and meet smog. Free flowing unrestricted premixed, apex seal material and size tuned rotaries are really reliable. The 26b 787b was set up to where it operated on a lower power tune rev limited to 9000rpm for the sake of reliability and still produced 700hp naturally aspirated. It was so reliable that the engine internals were said by mazda engineers to be in nigh perfect condition after 24 hours! The 26b was capable of 900+ hp if allowed to rev to 11,500rpms. So all in all it's too bad Mazda RX-7 didn't have the financial backing to enter GT500 with a NA 26b rx7 as it would have been extremely competitive and reliable like the 4 rotor GTO class IMSA rx-7's that came before it.

Hi, Hugo again. Do any of you (who work on the mod of course) intend to put more cars in the game? I know this question is a bit absurd, but I was wondering if you intend to do that.

Hi, Hugo again. Do any of you (who work on the mod of course) intend to put more cars in the game?

I'd like to restore more of the cut cars, and there will be a few new things in the next version. I won't be adding any all-new cars though as just restoring cut content will already hit the car body limit.

About Indianapolis, will it be put in the game or not?

Unlikely - it's very incomplete, nobody really knows how the track format works, and I don't think anyone's actively investigating it.

Any knowledge on how the roll and pitch angles' limits are coded in? And would there be any point in allowing free rolling movement?

Any knowledge on how the roll and pitch angles' limits are coded in? And would there be any point in allowing free rolling movement?

I suspect that is all hardcoded in the executable, and it's not something I'm particularly interested in digging into. The opportunity to roll a car is rare, and since it's explicitly blocked and unimplemented I think it would look very strange if it happened.

Plus, even if we hypothetically unlocked it, the way collision works probably just wouldn't work with a rolled over car. Car hitboxes extend above them a good amount and if you manage to land you car on top of an other, both fuse into one until they're ejected apart from each other.

There are codes you can apply on an emulator to play with 60fps.
Here are some I have, not many for the NTSC version out there.

[GT 1 Japanese]
E00AD648 0002
300AD648 0001

[GT2 Arcade Japanese]
E01D5CB4 0002
301D5CB4 0001

[GT2 Sim NTSC]
301D5864 0001

I've now made the JP / PAL Honda Integras and NSXes available in the US version, which they were originally removed from due to the Acura replacements.

The cars in the JP New Car Dealership are in the Special dealer in the US version, as the New Car area is not editable yet and the PAL New Car menus use different car names:
hondadealer-usa.png

The US version already had the Integras and NSXes in its Used Car cycle, they were just blocked by the region flags, which I have removed:
hondadealer-usa2.png

The changes I'd already made in alpha 4.1 to prevent both Acuras and Hondas showing up as duplicate opponents in certain events also apply here too.

I think I've now ticked off every essential feature that I wanted to be in a next release, and the mod is functioning on all ten different GT2 discs across all of the regions and versions. All that is now left before the next release is to do a final build and test it, then remake the demo savegame for all three regions.

I'm not giving any firm date for a release, but I would hope to have Gran Turismo 2 plus beta 5 released by the end of this month. It's been a long trip, and I've had to rebuild a large proportion of the mod to get things working across regions, but it's nearly done.

I using the 60fps code in GT1 JP, and my timer get slower slower. Is this a correct? But frame rate is jumps from 40-50 fps to 60+ fps even when code is used.

@Lee Der The games aren't meant to run at 60fps (they run 25 or 30fps depending on the region). The timer gets slower because the game's engine can't work at 60 fps properly. There's a reason why PS1 GT games aren't running those speeds besides GT1's barebones hi-fi tracks.

Back