[Mod] Gran Turismo 2 plus (bug fixes, restored content and new content) - beta 7 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 2,803 comments
After a very long journey, beta 5 is now complete and ready for download!

Highlights in this version are support for the Japanese and US releases of the game, support for the Arcade Mode disc in all regions, fixes to allow the mod to be run on a real Playstation, the addition of the Toyota Chaser LM Edition, and no less than fourteen Rally Cars that were previously only available in Arcade Mode can now be won as event prizes in GT Mode.

chaserlm-final.png

familia-arc.png

acuradealer-jp2.png

Apologies for how long it's taken - in order to support all ten GT2 game discs I needed to heavily rewrite a lot of my mod tools, remake large portions of the mod, and design an automated build process to make it feasible to assemble so many versions of the mod.

As always, the download and full changelogs are in the first post, and the changes from alpha 4.1 are below.

- Miscellaneous
Added support for all known GT2 discs, including the Japanese and USA releases, and the Arcade Mode disc.
Applied all updates from the Japanese and USA re-releases of the game to all discs for that region.
Applied all updates from the European release of the game to the Japanese and USA versions.
Fixed bug preventing the mod from functioning on real Playstation hardware.

- Colours
Dodge Viper RT/10: Re-fixed palette errors on unstriped colours.
Nissan Silvia K's '91: Fixed two-tone colours missing their second colour.
Nissan Silvia Q's '91: Fixed two-tone colours missing their second colour when viewed from a distance.
Opel Astra: Fixed swapped colour names for the two blue options.
Vauxhall Astra: Fixed the two blue options being duplicates of each other.
Vauxhall Vectra: Fixed the two blue options being duplicates of each other, fixed Kodiak paint colour differing from the Opel version.

- Models / Textures
Eunos Roadster '93: Fixed decklid colour differing from the rest of the paint on the J-Limited yellow colour.
Lexus GS400: Fixed front grille texture error.
Mini 1.3i RM: Fixed exhaust being painted body colour.
Nismo GT-R LM Road Car: Fixed wheel transparency error.
Nissan 300ZX Turbo, night: Fixed front bumper changing to the early Japanese model.
Nissan March Super Turbo: Fixed completely incorrect front grille and bumper (by submaniac93).
Nissan Primera Wagon '98: Fixed grey pixels on two-tone blue colour.
Nissan Silvia K's '88: Fixed missing front bumper vent.
Nissan Skyline GT-R 4-Door RM: Remade fix for transparent patches around windscreen (unused body).
Nissan Stagea 260RS '98 RM, night: Fixed incorrect illumination mask introduced in alpha 2.
Nissan Stagea RS Four V '98 RM, night: Fixed incorrect illumination mask introduced in alpha 2.
Opel Tigra: Fixed headlights being illuminated during the day.
Opel Tigra RM: Fixed headlights being illuminated during the day.
Opel Tigra Ice Race Car: Fixed headlights being illuminated during the day.
Peugeot 206 S16: Fixed exhaust masking.
Subaru Impreza Rally Car: Fixed leftover blue paint on black version, fixed inverted grille texture when viewed from a distance.
Suzuki Wagon R Column FT '97 RM: Fixed bodyshell changing from symmetric 5-door to asymmetric 4-door when RM applied.
Toyota Corolla Levin BZ-R '98, night: Fixed front numberplate colour.
Toyota Supra GT Turbo Ltd. '93 RM: Remade fix for transparent section of bumper in black colour.
TRD 3000GT: Fixed grey pixel on rear bumper.
Vauxhall Tigra: Fixed headlights being illuminated during the day.
Vauxhall Tigra RM: Fixed headlights being illuminated during the day.
Vauxhall Tigra Ice Race Car: Fixed headlights being illuminated during the day.
Volkswagen Lupo: Removed the SDI (diesel) badge as this is a petrol model, and added a missing model badge when viewed from a distance.
Weds Sport Celica: Fixed misaligned pixels in side logo.

- Text
Acura NSX '90: Fix year being swapped with the '97 (JP only).
Acura NSX '97: Fix year being swapped with the '90 (JP only).
Jaguar XJR: Removed 'Vehicle' from name.
Jaguar XJR-15: Removed 'GT Race Car' from name.
Mazdaspeed RX-7 A-spec '96: Fixed replay name.
Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo '97: Fixed replay name (JP only).
Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo '99: Fixed replay name (JP only).
Mitsubishi Legnum 24 ST '99: Fixed name, as this is the 2.4-litre AWD model.
Mitsubishi Legnum ST '97: Fixed replay name (JP only).
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 '97: Fixed replay name (JP only).
Nissan Fairlady Z Ver.S 2seater '98: Fixed replay name (JP only).
Nissan Silvia K's '91: Fixed Dark Green colour being mistakenly listed as two-tone.
Nissan Silvia Q's '91: Fixed Dark Green colour being mistakenly listed as two-tone.
Peugeot 206 Rally Car: Fixed replay name (JP only).
Suzuki Alto Works RS/R '90: Fixed name from RS/X to RS/R, as this is the AWD model not the FF model.
Toyota Altezza LM Edition: Fixed name varying from Altezza to IS 200 in various places (PAL only).
Toyota Corolla Levin '83: Fixed menu name being swapped with the '85.
Toyota Corolla Levin '85: Fixed menu name being swapped with the '83.
Toyota Sprinter Trueno '83: Fixed menu name being swapped with the '85.
Toyota Sprinter Trueno '85: Fixed menu name being swapped with the '83.
Toyota Starlet Turbo S '82: Corrected name to Toyota Starlet S '78, corrected colour name to Straight Green.

- Upgrades / Physics
Dodge Concept Car: Corrected drivetrain from MR to FR (JP / US only).
Dodge Concept Car LM Edition: Corrected drivetrain from MR to FR (JP / US only).
Fiat 500 Sporting: Fixed bug that prevented alternate RM being available (JP / US only).
HKS 180SX Drag: Added missing suspension adjustment (JP only).
HKS R33 Drag: Added missing suspension adjustment (JP only).
Lotus Esprit GT1: Fixed broken default suspension setup (JP only).
Mitsubishi Legnum 24 ST '99: Fixed displacement and drivetrain, as this is the 2.4-litre AWD model.
Suzuki Alto Works RS/R '90: Fixed engine being duplicated from the '97 model.
Venturi 400GT: Fixed missing stock turbo, added missing intercooler upgrades, adjusted boost levels of the stage 1 upgrade to make turbo noises more audible like the real car.
Venturi Atlantique 300 Bi-Turbo: Retuned turbo kits stage 2-4 to better match the power levels in the original game.

- Events
Event Synthesizer: Prevent the deleted Volkswagen Polo from appearing as an opponent.
FF Challenge race 2: Removed 4WD Mazda Familia S-Wagon from the list of possible opponents.
Gran Turismo All Stars: Fixed downforce levels for Elise GT1 opponent.
Gran Turismo World Championship: Fixed downforce levels for Elise GT1 opponent.

- Menus
Nissan dealership: Fixed missing Nismo GT-R LM in the Special section (JP only).
Peugeot dealership: Switched to the real-world Esso versions of the 206 S16, 406 saloon and 206 Rally Car (US only).
Shelby dealership: Switched to the fixed GT350 and GT500 models from the US / PAL releases (JP only).

All updates from the Light version, plus:

All updates from the Light version, plus:

- Colours
Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg R '92 RM: Fixed roof palette for the peach colour.

- Models / Textures
Toyota Celica Elegant Sports Version RM: Added headlight covers to match the standard car.

- Upgrades / Physics
Venturi 400GT: Added turbo kit stages 2 and 3, to more closely match the Venturi 300 in maximum power output.

- Cars
Citroen Saxo Rally Car: Added car based on Arcade mode preset, plus upgrade options to match the standard car.
Daihatsu Storia X4 Rally Car: Added car based on Arcade mode preset, plus upgrade options to match the standard car.
Lancia Delta Rally Car: Added car based on Arcade mode preset, plus upgrade options to match the standard car.
Mazda Familia Rally Car: Added car based on Arcade mode preset, plus upgrade options to match the standard car.
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo III Rally Car: Added car based on Arcade mode preset, plus upgrade options to match the standard car.
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IV Rally Car: Added car based on Arcade mode preset, plus upgrade options to match the standard car.
Nissan Pulsar Rally Car: Added car based on Arcade mode preset, plus upgrade options to match the standard car.
Peugeot 306 Rally Car: Added car based on Arcade mode preset, plus upgrade options to match the standard car.
Renault Megane Rally Car: Added car based on Arcade mode preset, plus upgrade options to match the standard car.
Subaru Impreza Rally Car '96: Added car based on Arcade mode preset, plus upgrade options to match the standard car.
Toyota Celica Rally Car '88: Added car based on Arcade mode preset, plus upgrade options to match the standard car.
Toyota Celica Rally Car '91: Added car based on Arcade mode preset, plus upgrade options to match the standard car.
Toyota Celica Rally Car '95: Added car based on Arcade mode preset, plus upgrade options to match the standard car.
Toyota Chaser LM Edition: Added car based on GT1 sounds, physics and textures, with sound port, model edits and wheel texture by submaniac93.
Volkswagen Golf Rally Car: Added car based on Arcade mode preset, plus upgrade options to match the standard car.

- Events
Event Synthesizer: Allow the restored Volkswagen Polo to appear as an opponent.
Secret: Added Citroen Saxo Rally Car as prize car.
Secret: Added Daihatsu Storia X4 Rally Car as prize car.
Secret: Added Lancia Delta Rally Car as prize car.
Secret: Added Mazda Familia Rally Car as prize car.
Secret: Added Mitsubishi Lancer Evo III Rally Car as prize car.
Secret: Added Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IV Rally Car as prize car.
Secret: Added Nissan Pulsar Rally Car as prize car.
Secret: Added Peugeot 306 Rally Car as prize car.
Secret: Added Renault Megane Rally Car as prize car.
Secret: Added Subaru Impreza Rally Car '96 as prize car.
Secret: Added Toyota Celica Rally Car '88 as prize car.
Secret: Added Toyota Celica Rally Car '91 as prize car.
Secret: Added Toyota Celica Rally Car '95 as prize car.
Secret: Added Volkswagen Golf Rally Car as prize car.

- Menus
Honda dealership: Added the JP / PAL Integras and NSXes to the Special section as the New Car section is not yet editable (US only).
Toyota dealership: Added the Chaser LM (for purchase) and the Castrol Supra '96 (for viewing) to the Special section.

What's next? The mod isn't finished, but I'll probably take a little time to research some things to make more areas of the game modifiable, and possibly tackle a couple of side projects too, before commencing work on beta 6. I'll also be putting together a demo save for beta 5, like I did with alpha 4.1. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
you dont have to apologise for anything! Maybe for that it will not be 60fps on real HW :P

(joke)
I am sold with the Chaser LM! Quite possibly the favorite car sound from GT1 for me.
What was with the Elise GT1 downforce wrong? Too little?

Honestly, I think I'm enjoying the mod now even more so since I can use it on a US release of Gran Turismo 2. In which, the GH version makes the most sense as it was the most complete. It makes me giggle being able to use some of these mods listening to the american soundtracks, plus finally being able to drive the JDM Honda Integras without gameshark codes.

EDIT: I will eventually record my own video of GT2 Plus Beta 5, but I just wanted to try it out first. I'm right now just doing a playthrough of the game while actually following the regulations of each event this time.

Last edited:
What was with the Elise GT1 downforce wrong? Too little?

Yeah, I'd fixed it not having the RM body, but the downforce levels were still that of the roadcar.

Honestly, I think I'm enjoying the mod now even more so since I can use it on a US release of Gran Turismo 2. In which, the GH version makes the most sense as it was the most complete.

I've made the patches in such a way that any US version of GT2 will be updated to the Greatest Hits release (v1.2) with all of the bugfixes that brought, before the mod is then applied on top.

Additionally, I've converted both the Japanese and US versions to use all of the game data from the PAL version, so that the only difference between the JP, US and PAL versions of GT2+ is the executable, soundtrack / intro, used car list, and the languages in the menus. This means that one set of modified files can be built for all three regions without me needing to build three or more separate mods, one per region. It also means that the European-market Nissan 200SXes are in there and fully functioning, I just haven't added them to the used car lists yet.

I've made the patches in such a way that any US version of GT2 will be updated to the Greatest Hits release (v1.2) with all of the bugfixes that brought, before the mod is then applied on top.
Oh, then I didn't need to have v1.2 to play it. Good to know Now.

This mod is undoubtedly cool 'n all, but don't forget to take care of yourself too. It's very much understandable if you need to take a break from interacting with the general modding counterpart after what you've just released. Might as well even enjoy what you've created. Same goes for the ones that aided with this mod's creation.

Is it possible to convert the single races in GT Mode to championships? ie. for each power limit to have at least 3 races? (and use Rome Night more?) :)

That probably requires some deep level modding, if it's even possible.
I've seen such done with other racing games, though not without often some serious bugs...

Rome Night is like, one of those things that was added in as a replacement for SSR11...
You can't replace SSR11, it's just not a thing, and Rome-Night is not even on the same level of challenging fun.
Actually, Rome-Night is just a test of patience...for me anyway...lolz

I love Rome Night (also SSR11 too) and i also didnt like you had only one race per car class. Such a waste of opportunity to make the game more enjoyable and prolong the GT2 lifespan.

Is it possible to convert the single races in GT Mode to a championships? ie. for each power limit to have at least 3 races? (and use Rome Night more? :)

In theory yes, but adding new events immediately just wrecks the completion percentage calculation as it assumes a specific number of events in the game. It's also obviously not something I intend on doing in this mod because it's outside of scope, but is probably possible.

Man, this update is pretty good. Thank you Pez!
I'm playing the Japanese version, and I found a "bug" with the Muscle Car Races. The evente shows you need only the A, IC and IB licenses, but when you enter the event, it says you need IA. Be safe, and thx again for this majestic mod!

I'm playing the Japanese version, and I found a "bug" with the Muscle Car Races. The evente shows you need only the A, IC and IB licenses, but when you enter the event, it says you need IA.

Yeah, the original menus (Japanese and early US releases) have those license requirements painted onto them, but then as of the first US release they changed the requirements for the event itself. Because it's using the final PAL data back-ported to work with the JP executable and menus, the license requirements are fixed to match the later releases, and the menu inside the event loads the correct icons based on the event data, but the higher-level menu has the A / IC / IB icons built in as part of its texture. Once menu textures are modifiable with a reasonable amount of effort, I'll be fixing things like that along with the many menu text typos like 'High Speed Link'.

Suggestion: Try to change the tune shop logos in North City as follows:
Mercedes-Benz>AMG
BMW>M Performance
Audi>Audi Sport
West City:
Fiat>Abarth

Last edited:
Forgive me forgetting, do you bundle full saves to see all your new additions?

YEY for getting this onto original hardware! MUCH appreciated your kind work!

The update is really cool. I have a problem with my save game data, my save game data is still from version 4.1 and I noticed that many cars now don't have the right HP and they all drive very strange. Is it possible to fix this somehow or do I have to play everything over again?

Please read the FAQ on the first post of the thread. Savegames will break on every update of the mod, provided pez adds or removes cars from the game. Updating savegames might come in the future, but it requires a lot of work to adapt things.
As for bundled saves, i believe he will have starter saves for every region soon. He'll provide more info when he logs on.

Please read the FAQ on the first post of the thread. Savegames will break on every update of the mod, provided pez adds or removes cars from the game. Updating savegames might come in the future, but it requires a lot of work to adapt things.
As for bundled saves, i believe he will have starter saves for every region soon. He'll provide more info when he logs on.

Ah ok, first of all thanks for the info. I read the FAQ on the first page.

Back