[Mod] Gran Turismo plus (bug fixes and restored content) - alpha 1 released

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 49 comments
Going to need a bit more detail than that I'm afraid - did the patch apply properly (verify the patched image against the CRC in the readme file)?
I've just tried the non-patched variant and it's doing the same. Strange.

Duckstation but on Mac, variant of the game is both from CDRomance and the r/Roms Megathread so two different roms.

Wonder if it's a Duckstation issue? I've hit restore defaults so that no cheats or anything are being used. Will try again now.

EDIT - So it works now. Apologies for raising the issue but at least it's resolved.

It was saying 4 cheats were being used but I've not used Duckstation/played any PS1 games on it for a long while so I've got rid of them.

Any ideas of which ones will work to improve the experience?

I've downloaded the Gameshark codes, do they just go into Duckstation?

Last edited:
It was likely the cheats. GT1 performs a full memory wipe when loading GTmode, and having active cheats has a large chance to crash the game when loading it. It's best to activate them only after GTmode has loaded.

Will the Galant VR-G Touring be able to finally accept NA or turbo upgrades in the next revision of the mod?

Will the Galant VR-G Touring be able to finally accept NA or turbo upgrades in the next revision of the mod?

Possibly, I'll be having a think about it at least. I wouldn't expect it to become suddenly super competitive, but moving it more in line with the slowest cars rather than miles behind them might be a decent tweak to stop it being such a booby trap.

Perhaps the GT2 power ratings can be used as some sort of benchmark? The Galant has around 250 bhp with all the upgrades in that one. A similar or slightly higher power rating will be more than adequate, I think - most cars of its class have power ratings close to that when fully tuned.

"only the PAL version of the game is supported"

I'll wait for (hopefully) GT 1.1 USA as that's the disc I own. Interestingly though, it's not a Greatest Hits and yet it's still 1.1.

It is nice to see PS games being modded, as the Nintendo 64 has a good deal more in comparison.

Last edited:
What does v1.1 GT1 do exactly? I recall forever ago buying 1+2 before I even knew to read listings check pics. Very lucky all black label and I know my GT2 are the fixed v1.2+v1.1 (booting bleem!cast will light 'bug alert' in red if any lesser)

Report - it seems that the DB7's individual gear ratios in vanilla were also wrong (way too tall), which is exacerbated by the now correct final drive ratio. I managed to find the correct ones after searching a bit:
I - 3.55
II - 2.04
III - 1.39
IV - 1.00
V - 0.755
Perhaps it will be something to be considered for later releases of the mod?

Report - it seems that the DB7's individual gear ratios in vanilla were also wrong (way too tall), which is exacerbated by the now correct final drive ratio.

Yeah, good point - the ratios in GT1 look like they're from the non-turbo GTO. I'll sort it out.

Report - it seems that the DB7's individual gear ratios in vanilla were also wrong (way too tall), which is exacerbated by the now correct final drive ratio. I managed to find the correct ones after searching a bit:
I - 3.55
II - 2.04
III - 1.39
IV - 1.00
V - 0.755
Perhaps it will be something to be considered for later releases of the mod?
I think I've driven the DB7 in the first game and at least the gearing isn't ridiculously short like it is in vanilla GT2, so the car can actually hit the top speed the game's blurb about the car claims.

Yay, finally fixes for my childhood game! I heard some cars had RWD set for them incorrectly when they were supposed to be 4WD.

Also, a question, is it possible to backport colors from GT2, or add new ones in general, for variety? Like giving us uglier Vipers in GT1.

Also, a question, is it possible to backport colors from GT2, or add new ones in general, for variety? Like giving us uglier Vipers in GT1.

Car colours are easily modifiable, yes, but backporting them only works if the car textures are the same or very close. When porting the special prize colours from GT1 to GT2 I had to recreate about half of them as the cars had been remodelled for the sequel. I don't think GT1 is missing any major colours from GT2 though.

Car colours are easily modifiable, yes, but backporting them only works if the car textures are the same or very close. When porting the special prize colours from GT1 to GT2 I had to recreate about half of them as the cars had been remodelled for the sequel. I don't think GT1 is missing any major colours from GT2 though.
Got it! Vipers in GT1 are either solid red or blue with white stripes... GT2 bizarrely removes blue Viper, but adds black with white and silver with blue stripes. I found that there was a silver/blue racing livery for RT/10 in the prototype version: https://tcrf.net/Proto:Gran_Turismo_(PlayStation)/Test_Drive_Disc

Would it be possible to add a new livery as racing modification color, or that would require an extra car slot the game simply doesn't have? In either case, both Dodge Vipers and IIRC, Mitsubishi Eclipse, have only two colors to choose.

If it's not too much of a headache for a future version, would you consider adding approximate color variations from GT2 to some cars to add some variety, especially to arcade mode where there aren't as many cars to pick from in the first place.

Vipers in GT1 are either solid red or blue with white stripes... GT2 bizarrely removes blue Viper, but adds black with white and silver with blue stripes. I found that there was a silver/blue racing livery for RT/10 in the prototype version:
Would it be possible to add a new livery as racing modification color, or that would require an extra car slot the game simply doesn't have?
If it's not too much of a headache for a future version, would you consider adding approximate color variations from GT2 to some cars to add some variety, especially to arcade mode where there aren't as many cars to pick from in the first place.

The Vipers in GT1 are 1997-spec cars, while in GT2 they're 1999-spec - it's not just the available colours that changed between those years (blue was 1996-1997 only), but also some minor bodywork updates too, especially on the RT/10.

The early RM is an entirely different model to anything in the retail game, so it would need to be added as a separate car (since GT1 only supports one RM per car).

I don't think there are any cars in both GT1 and GT2 which have different sets of colours, they were largely carried over as-is.

The Vipers in GT1 are 1997-spec cars, while in GT2 they're 1999-spec - it's not just the available colours that changed between those years (blue was 1996-1997 only), but also some minor bodywork updates too, especially on the RT/10.

The early RM is an entirely different model to anything in the retail game, so it would need to be added as a separate car (since GT1 only supports one RM per car).

I don't think there are any cars in both GT1 and GT2 which have different sets of colours, they were largely carried over as-is.
Don't need to make GT1 exactly like 2, I was just asking for more color options in next version, please!

I looked up and it appears the 1997 Vipers had 4 color options stock, also black and white, though I am not sure if those has racing stripes: https://theviperstore.com/Viper_Paint_Codes.htm

But my fav is probably this yellow version: https://www.supercars.net/blog/1997-dodge-viper-rt10-phase-ii-sr/ I am not sure if the exact trim they have in GT1 had that color stock though.

Wouldn't it just be cool to have yellow, white and black vipers in Gran Turismo 1? I mean, those are authentic colors for 1996/97 models. I really liked that mods added colors for them in GT2 but GT1 now feels barebones with just 2 paintjobs.

Is it possible to add early RMs as reward cars, to special section or whatever? I know Gran Turismo 1 has one car per special room, but last time I checked Dodge didn't even have one... impossible to add?

I checked other cars and the RX7 in Arcade mode (éfini Type RB Bathurst '96) is missing the classic yellow mica color... http://importarchive.com/mazda/rx7/1993-1995/paint I think it's exclusive to the A-Spec version in the game? But that one is only playable in Sim/GT mode. Same problem with Integra Type R... Did Matthew Perry design the color selection in the first game? XD

Eclipse having only two colors also seems to be exclusive to Gran Turismo for whatever reason: http://importarchive.com/mitsubishi/eclipse/1995-1999/paint

They just look so bland next to entire rainbow available for NSXs, GTOs, and Skylines...

I looked up and it appears the 1997 Vipers had 4 color options stock, also black and white, though I am not sure if those has racing stripes: https://theviperstore.com/Viper_Paint_Codes.htm

That source isn't accurate, this one is the best I've found and it lists Black and Stone White as 1996 RT/10 colours, not 1997 which was only Viper Red or Viper GTS Blue, like GT1 already features. There's also another page on the same site that you linked which confirms that 1997 was red or blue only via production numbers.

But my fav is probably this yellow version: https://www.supercars.net/blog/1997-dodge-viper-rt10-phase-ii-sr/ I am not sure if the exact trim they have in GT1 had that color stock though.

That car is a 2002 model as per the auction link at the bottom, and the colour didn't exist yet when GT1 was made (it's Race Yellow, introduced in 2001).

Wouldn't it just be cool to have yellow, white and black vipers in Gran Turismo 1? I mean, those are authentic colors for 1996/97 models. I really liked that mods added colors for them in GT2 but GT1 now feels barebones with just 2 paintjobs.

As above, none of those colours were offered on the 1997 model year depicted in GT1, which is why I don't plan on adding them. Just to be clear, the scope for this mod isn't 'add cool stuff', it's to fix bugs and tidy up any cut content that I can.

Is it possible to add early RMs as reward cars, to special section or whatever? I know Gran Turismo 1 has one car per special room, but last time I checked Dodge didn't even have one... impossible to add?

The special dealerships are all hardcoded and can't currently be changed. Adding any models that weren't already on the disc is not currently possible, as the list of filenames is hardcoded.

I checked other cars and the RX7 in Arcade mode (éfini Type RB Bathurst '96) is missing the classic yellow mica color... http://importarchive.com/mazda/rx7/1993-1995/paint I think it's exclusive to the A-Spec version in the game? But that one is only playable in Sim/GT mode. Same problem with Integra Type R...

Competition Yellow was a US-market 1993 colour as per your source, whereas the cars in GT1 are all Japanese-market spec. The yellow Bathurst spec was the Type R from circa 2001, which was a fairly different car to the 1996 Type RB Bathurst.

Sunlight Yellow on the Integra Type R was only introduced in 1999 and limited to a specific trim level, so that's not in GT1 either.

Eclipse having only two colors also seems to be exclusive to Gran Turismo for whatever reason: http://importarchive.com/mitsubishi/eclipse/1995-1999/paint

The Japanese-market Eclipse was only available in Pasadena Red and Appalachian Black, as per the brochure. It was a left-hand-drive import that wasn't available in many specs, unlike the US-market version where a lot more variety was offered.

Last edited:
So adding back older model's colors to GT2 was within the mod's scope, but not the other way around? GT1/2 don't have the paint option, so we're stuck with stock colors, which are extremely limited in many cases. So now we got a zillion Skylines in entire rainbow and one Eclipse with whole two colors because some specific trim didn't have options?

So adding back older model's colors to GT2 was within the mod's scope, but not the other way around?
So now we got a zillion Skylines in entire rainbow and one Eclipse with whole two colors because some specific trim didn't have options?

The blue Viper in GT2+ is such an old change that it was literally my first experiment to see if car colours could be added to GT2 instead of replaced, using files from the GT2 demos. It's only in the 5 or 6 years since then that I've understood why those colours were changed between GT1 and GT2, and the Vipers are going to be revised a bit in the next version of that mod to resolve it as it is indeed inconsistent with the rest of the mod.

The Eclipse in GT1 only comes in those two colours because that's accurate to the model it's representing. It's not a bug or oversight, it's intentionally implemented that way because Mitsubishi chose to only offer the car in those two colours. If you want to make a mod to add more colours, go ahead, the tools are all open-source, but I personally won't be adding any in this mod because I'm specifically focusing on fixing bugs and inaccuracies, and not on general complaints about how the game was made.

What does v1.1 GT1 do exactly? I recall forever ago buying 1+2 before I even knew to read listings check pics. Very lucky all black label and I know my GT2 are the fixed v1.2+v1.1 (booting bleem!cast will light 'bug alert' in red if any lesser)
I'm not sure other than the new third person camera. Probably bugs fixes.

Back