Modem recommendations

United States
oshkosh/WI
MrWilso92
Having some net issues with what i believe is my modem which a fairly new Motorola mid range model plus im using a netgear router.
Ive been resetting the modem because the speed keeps dropping to like half of what i normally get to between 5-8mb/s and 1.5mb/s upload.
The speeds taken via my ps4 on a High Bandwidth wire.
Frankly im not sure if its the router or modem but i wanna get the speeds up so any suggestions on better equipment would be really fantastic.
Id like to get my upload higher especially and eventually im gonna have to have a talk with my supplier about my internet package.

My speed kept dropping every few days after a reset. Turns out it was because my router couldn't keep up with the number of devices and the amount of bandwidth I was trying to pass through it. I bought a Nighthawk R6700.

TB
My speed kept dropping every few days after a reset. Turns out it was because my router couldn't keep up with the number of devices and the amount of bandwidth I was trying to pass through it. I bought a Nighthawk R6700.
How many devices were on your network? :eek:

@Endless-Wilso, I own a Motorola MB7420, which I purchased after a lot of research. I use it with Time Warner (now Spectrum) and have been very happy with it.

If he were still looking for a modem I was going to say that I've had excellent luck with my Supras, and Hayes was a very good brand too.

How many devices were on your network? :eek:
From memory, I have 7 wireless devices and 4 hard wired, so not a lot.

It was more about the age of the router (circa 2004 Linksys WRT54G running Tomato) and the amount of data we are constantly pusing through it with Netflix, Prime, GTP, assorted updates, etc.

Anyone know what the typical lifespan is for these. My parents are considering getting a new one and giving the one they have to me. I know it's at least 5 years old if not more.

Anyone know what the typical lifespan is for these. My parents are considering getting a new one and giving the one they have to me. I know it's at least 5 years old if not more.
Since there are no moving parts, it should be pretty much indefinite*. It's a lot more likely to suffer technological obsolescence than physically wear out.

*If it uses a flash memory to save settings, the flash can wear out; they can only handle a few thousand writes. That wouldn't be an issue unless somebody's been changing settings a couple times a day for several years. Same is true for thumb drives, etc.

The thing that tends to go after a few years with routers is the Wi-Fi transmitter. The rest of the circuitry may work fine but it's ability to send and receive degrades over time, cordless home phones also seem to have this issue.

Thanks for the replies. That definitely answers my questions regarding the issue.

Back