Modern cars are boring on 'factory' settings?

• Thread starter mekonrider
  • 28 comments
United Kingdom
York/UK
mekonrider
I'm a bit late to the party on this game but I was pleased to see a 'factory' mode for TC and ABS, so the cars can be driven as you find them IRL. Sadly most modern cars seem utterly tedious to drive with all the electronics they have. I've ended up just giving them a quick tester lap and only really spending time on the older stuff. There's barely an consequence for pinning the throttle out of bends.

Maybe it's my age (first car was a 1275GT mini, then a modded Mk2 Golf) and although I accept modern cars ARE FASTER than old stuff, they don't seem to have a seat of pants feel in the game. I got out of the performance car game myself as I soon realised I could get more bang for my buck on a motorbike and now just drive a boring family car so I've not got any real life experience in modern performance cars (newest was going out in a Z4 M series and a 350z)

That's kinda how things are in real life though. I recently had a 2006 Mini Cooper S that had virtually no electronic nannies besides basic TC and ABS and it was a visceral car to drive, 50mph felt like 100mph and even just trotting around town was very engaging. In September I upgraded to a 2017 WRX that has lots of electronic wizardry (ABS, TC, AWD, torque/brake vectoring, throttle vectoring) and it's a totally different beast. It's effortless to drive and you can be doing 100mph in the blink of an eye without even realizing you're going that fast. It has electric assisted steering so there's not much seat of the pants feel coming through but hot damn the thing is a blast to drive and I wouldn't trade back to the Mini for anything. So while the "factory" settings may not be as thrilling, I think they're fairly realistic. Plus, you can always turn them off for a more lively drive.

Well this has no,ABS,TC,Power Steering, Power Brakes,no Disk Brakes 3 Speed on the column . It goes like stink. Just don't stop. Way more fun than today's crap.View media item 11826
And there's enough space under the hood for a couple of bags of hockey equipment and room in the trunk for a couple of bunk beds no doubt:sly:.

And there's enough space under the hood for a couple of bags of hockey equipment and room in the trunk for a couple of bunk beds no doubt:sly:.
3 in the front,4 in the back. 5 in the trunk.
Yeah loads of room. In storage till May. I hate the winter,back to my Sienna van.

I'm a bit late to the party on this game but I was pleased to see a 'factory' mode for TC and ABS, so the cars can be driven as you find them IRL. Sadly most modern cars seem utterly tedious to drive with all the electronics they have. I've ended up just giving them a quick tester lap and only really spending time on the older stuff. There's barely an consequence for pinning the throttle out of bends.

Maybe it's my age (first car was a 1275GT mini, then a modded Mk2 Golf) and although I accept modern cars ARE FASTER than old stuff, they don't seem to have a seat of pants feel in the game. I got out of the performance car game myself as I soon realised I could get more bang for my buck on a motorbike and now just drive a boring family car so I've not got any real life experience in modern performance cars (newest was going out in a Z4 M series and a 350z)
just curious, are you driving them on street tires or SM?

I think that is why TC is banned in some serious real life race events because today TC technology can control each wheel independently that is beyond driver's control which clearly gives a distinctive advantages to lowering lap times.

Well this has no,ABS,TC,Power Steering, Power Brakes,no Disk Brakes 3 Speed on the column . It goes like stink. Just don't stop. Way more fun than today's crap.View media item 11826

Drum brakes scare the crap out of me. More so on a trail bike. Was trying to ride it like a motocross bike and nearly panicked like hell when I almost couldn't make the turns. That was also fun with the few splashes on the track. Well big splashes. Big puddles. That is a horrid feeling when they're wet.

Drum brakes scare the crap out of me. More so on a trail bike. Was trying to ride it like a motocross bike and nearly panicked like hell when I almost couldn't make the turns. That was also fun with the few splashes on the track. Well big splashes. Big puddles. That is a horrid feeling when they're wet.
Yeah drums all around! Gotta make sure you know what your doing,no tailgating in that car.
It's a heavy car too.3660 lbs. Next project 71 Chevelle. Covered in summer deck crap.

Attachments

• 20170104_165757.jpg
    20170104_165757.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 31

I can think of several modern cars in AC that give me great driving pleasure with all factory assists enabled. Yes, some cars come alive when TC is disabled but does it make them more enjoyable to drive? Sometimes yes, other times not so much.

Well there's a reason Chris Harris eventually turns all that stuff off in his videos. :sly:

What I like about 'them' is that they're (for the most-part) still adjustable. You can have some fun and not have a care in the world while show-boating in the latest hyper-car, yet if you want to get incredible speeds out of the racecars you have numerous steps to try-out and use, the adaptability is awesome.

I do hope Kunos may eventually implement it via Manufacturer, rather than the universal/generic system we currently have that's just for controlling wheelspin-in-general.👍

Fiddling with settings a bit, while 0 means off, 1 is actually the highest setting for TC. If the TC value can go higher, it means it will be less intrusive. 4 means less TC than 1 in that game. Pretty counter-intuitive so I thought that'd be worth pointing out.

I haven't driven that many new cars but I can say modern traction and stability control suck the fun out of cars. Recently I tried to autocross a 2015 Subaru WRX and with all the nannies on it wasn't slow but it did feel dead inside. You couldn't get it up on its toes and make it dance. Good for safety, terrible for fun.

I think that is why TC is banned in some serious real life race events because today TC technology can control each wheel independently that is beyond driver's control which clearly gives a distinctive advantages to lowering lap times.

In real life race cars and some performance road cars ( think C7 corvette, 911 GT3RS, any McLaren etc) TC is way better than most drivers right foot and even the very best would see an improvement with TC on.

That's kinda how things are in real life though. I recently had a 2006 Mini Cooper S that had virtually no electronic nannies besides basic TC and ABS and it was a visceral car to drive, 50mph felt like 100mph and even just trotting around town was very engaging. In September I upgraded to a 2017 WRX that has lots of electronic wizardry (ABS, TC, AWD, torque/brake vectoring, throttle vectoring) and it's a totally different beast. It's effortless to drive and you can be doing 100mph in the blink of an eye without even realizing you're going that fast. It has electric assisted steering so there's not much seat of the pants feel coming through but hot damn the thing is a blast to drive and I wouldn't trade back to the Mini for anything. So while the "factory" settings may not be as thrilling, I think they're fairly realistic. Plus, you can always turn them off for a more lively drive.

same with me,i have a 2004 Renaultsport Clio 182,and its a very raw car to drive,one of the last great hot hatches,doesnt have the modern electronics of todays cars. I drove my gfs Citroen DS3 sport,and although its quick in higher revs,it all feels too smooth and 'electronic' for me.

I put ABS on factory settings, and TC off except in F1 cars that still have TC. Generally ABS works as intended in AC, but I find TC too restrictive, even on lowest (higher numbers in-game) settings. Everything else is off. And yes I always stick with lowest grip tyres available.

I'm confused...I tend to turn off TC, so I'm not well versed with it. But I thought TC in this game evolved so that we have OFF, Factory (lowest amount of intrusion), ON (highest amount of intrusion). Can you still adjust on a number scale somewhere I don't know about? I've read the about the reverse scale for a while now, but haven't run in to it!

I'm confused...I tend to turn off TC, so I'm not well versed with it. But I thought TC in this game evolved so that we have OFF, Factory (lowest amount of intrusion), ON (highest amount of intrusion). Can you still adjust on a number scale somewhere I don't know about? I've read the about the reverse scale for a while now, but haven't run in to it!

Set TC to factory before going to track. For cars which have TC from factory, you can then toggle between different TC settings while driving, using the assigned command. Some cars simply have on/off while others have more steps. For example, the Ferrari 488 GTB has five settings: 1/4, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, and off. The lower numbers indicate more traction and vice versa, so 1/4 corresponds to the highest amount of traction.

Last edited:

As Nielsen said, press Ctrl+T when on track to cycle through the various TC settings (some have more than others). The higher the number the less intrusive the TC.

i usually race street cars everything off, and Factory ABS. Ive often wondered (to lazy/busy to try) if driveing the r35 GTR was quicker in its assisted mode (race mannetino on 458 ferrari) as magazines have often communicated.....or if this is properly simulated by AC?

Here's something very fun to drive:
For PC,version 1.13.2 Tire model V10
BMW M235i Race Car
All AIDS and ABS OFF
Fuel consumption and tire wear ON
Track Nordschleife Endurance
Clear weather,temperature 20 degrees Celsius,grip set to green.
Tires:Trofeoh Slicks(H)
Tire pressure:front 15psi/rear 17psi
Camber:front -4 deg/rear -1,3 deg
Toe:front 4/rear10
Bump:front 4/rear 4
Rebound:front 4/rear 4
Wheel rate:front 82 N/mm rear 90 N/mm
Height:front 200/rear 150
Brake power 80%
Fuel 30 liters
My lap time-9:45.839

Last edited:
Here's something very fun to drive:
For PC,version 1.13.2 Tire model V10
BMW M235i Race Car
All AIDS and ABS OFF
Fuel consumption and tire wear ON
Track Nordschleife Endurance
Clear weather,temperature 20 degrees Celsius,grip set to green.
Tires:Trofeoh Slicks(H)
Tire pressure:front 15psi/rear 17psi
Camber:front -4 deg/rear -1,3 deg
Toe:front 4/rear10
Bump:front 4/rear 4
Rebound:front 4/rear 4
Wheel rate:front 82 N/mm rear 90 N/mm
Height:front 200/rear 150
Brake power 80%
Fuel 30 liters
My lap time-9:45.839
I'll give this a try today...Thanks for sharing, super_gt. We need more sharing like this. Gives us, who aren't superb at setting up cars, a nice chance to experience something others find enjoyable.

I'm going to ask x4fab if there is any way that he could incorporate specific car setups in the Content Manager sharing option. With CM you could share (via the URL given to you) the M235i with all aids off, fuel & tire wear on, the track & weather & track surface rating - but it wouldn't include the car's setup. Of course, you could always attach your setup file to your post, but if CM can do it, it would be a thousand times quicker.

Has anyone tried the new Analyze feature? Fixes so many things with the push of a button or two. The big one, in my eyes, is CM will tell you if the mod car you're driving was built by a douche who made their car have an unrealistic amount of power loss from crank to wheels.

I find this car for very boring even with all aids off.
WHAT?! :crazy: Seriously?!

She ain't the lightest Beemer, I'll give you that...but she can boogie. Even with TC on 2/2 you can still throw her around... It doesn't have the best sound, so I usually run the Akrapovic - almost exclusively. Actually, I was driving the BMW M4 Competition Package most recently, in AC. I've had the privilege of driving an M4 in real life and they're little beasts. Certainly more car than my skills could handle. It's a rare occasion when I can drive a powerful car these days. :grumpy:

WHAT?! :crazy: Seriously?!
That's why I find this car for boring:
Try to brake with BMW M4 mid corner in Schwedenkreuz and Fuchsröhre(the last left corner).The car will understeer,which is exactly the opposite of the real world.Also before Schwedenkreuz brake downshift to fifth gear
and enter little faster off throttle,the car will understeer while this corner is famous with lift off oversteer.The situation is the same in Wippermann and Brunnchen,lift off mid corner without oversteer.

That's why I find this car for boring:
Try to brake with BMW M4 mid corner in Schwedenkreuz and Fuchsröhre(the last left corner).The car will understeer,which is exactly the opposite of the real world.Also before Schwedenkreuz brake downshift to fifth gear
and enter little faster off throttle,the car will understeer while this corner is famous with lift off oversteer.The situation is the same in Wippermann and Brunnchen,lift off mid corner without oversteer.

I'll give to give it a try to see if I can duplicate your results. I always run ABS=Factory on street cars. And I also run TC=Factory, although I often will disable it as soon as I'm on the track. I just like to have it available if I want to switch back.

I can't say that I've ever applied the brakes at Schwedenkreuz. I'm sure I've lifted before the kink starts, but I don't think I've ever gotten onto the brakes until the road straightens out with Aremberg appearing quickly. Likewise, I can't say that I've hit the brakes a lot at Fuchsröhre. I know I lift there a lot and I've flown off the road there quite a bit too. I believe you - I just can't say that I've experienced it myself. You're probably a much better driver than I am, so you probably can push harder, but I still think I should be able to recreate those scenarios. 👍

That's a good video. I watched it many months back, but I'll give it another viewing when I have the time. Thanks. :cheers:

@super_gt thank you for this video, make me realize how little I know about driving that track, even though I did it often, I "know" what the next corner looks like, but I don't know how to take it best, which really explain why I am not fast at the Nords.

@super_gt thank you for this video, make me realize how little I know about driving that track, even though I did it often, I "know" what the next corner looks like, but I don't know how to take it best, which really explain why I am not fast at the Nords.
Yup. I've got the Nordschleife memorized as well. Don't get me wrong...it definitely helps a lot, however, I'm not using that memorized information properly and as a result I am driving the track poorly. Very frustrating.

Latest Posts

Back