Monitor calibration

United States
Port Washington
GTP_skeeter23
Ok, since I know not everybody (most people) use a properly calibrated monitor. As such images look very different on their screen than they do on mine. In fact almost everybody will see something different than everyone else.

I think I need to re-calibrate my monitor again (and honestly get a newer colorometer) but I thought I would put this out to see what the common consensus is as to which looks better on multiple peoples (assuming non corrected) monitors look. If nothing else it should provide and example of how different things may look on different monitors and settings. What looks good to you may appear horrid to others.

I've worked on these images so that the color, contrast, and levels are approximately similar in respect to how they are being viewed. The top one using the standard color and monitor profile and the lower one with the corrected profiles and settings turned on.

Both are targeted for "Monitor RGB" proof setup and default PS sRGB colorspace.

What say you?

Cal_Compare.jpg

On my screen in uncalibrated mode the top looks good and the bottom had less contrast and has a blueish tint. When switched to color calibrated mode the lower image looks much like the top but the top image is overly contrasty and saturated.

EDIT UPDATE: Looking at this post on my Samsung Galaxy S4 I think the bottom image from the calibrated monitor has the best lighting tone and contrast but could be "warmed up" a touch. I think colorwise half way between the two would be almost perfect. The top one looks "OK" but it's a bit too punchy and contrasty to really look "real".

I'd be especially interested in what Nick (@NBDESIGNZ) has to say because his images ALWAYS look spot on to me.

Last edited:
Hey!

Thanks for liking my pics! :cheers:

It's nice to see this comparison, actually I like the bottom one from the calibrated monitor better. I see it with a very subtle and light blueish tone but it looks way better than the one on top.

I have my TV and PCs at nearly the same settings, so that my pics, games and movies look good (the same) on all devices.

I dont know how people see my works but when I watch them at home they look good to me.

I agree with Nicolas. I think I see the images in the same way. (Calibrated Monitor)

I've always wondered how people viewed my work on their monitors.

My work has a crap tonne of contrast as well as intense lighting effects which look good to me on my screen, however I can't say this is the same for others that have an uncalibrated monitor.

I like the top one more. Just because is a sunset scene and I think the warm filter works better than the blueish on the bottom shot. It's more saturated but not over done. :)

I'm seeing them on an apple monitor (in which every shot looks better than in my non calibrated PC monitor). Every shot looks sharper and richer in color in this monitor.

It's funny to see this thread because last weekend I talked with my girlfriend about color calibration and the differences between monitors and the lighting you have where you work. :D

I dont know how people see my works but when I watch them at home they look good to me.
Ya the biggest thing is that I can always tell what you're going for drama vs subtle, color cast, saturation... it's easy to tell because they always look correct generally whatever screen I see them on.

I've been trying to get my TV dialed in to where my PC monitors are but it's difficult at best. I'm pretty close I think but you can never be "too close" and I'm constantly tweaking it just that extra bit (my TV has the endless array of "pro color calibration" settings). The biggest issue is when somebody changes the profile to "Movie 2", doesn't switch it back, and I don't notice it right away until I've already snapped off a bunch of pics lol.

If you work on a monitor calibrated for white light (the light you have in that particular space), probably the majority of people will see it a little different (with warmer tones and less contrast) than you see it in your monitor because (I think) the majority of us have warm light (yellow) in our houses.

On my girlfriend's laptop every shot loses some yellows while the blues are richer.

ps. I know! Do not calibrate a laptop monitor :D

ps. I know! Do not calibrate a laptop monitor :D
Actually the biggest thing is to make sure that any auto adjustments are turned off. I've calibrated my laptop monitor for years and actually used to use it for my pre-flight corrections before sending photos to the lab for printing back when I was doing freelance work. Did a whole wedding once on my laptop... colors were beautiful.

But if the "auto adjust" settings for color and brightness are left on the results will be disaster! The key is consistency ;)

To me the bottom one looks nicer. Don't forget, our atmosphere is blue so all daylight tends to have a blue tint to it...obviously sunrise, sunset and clouds etc tend to mask the blue. But for realism sake the bottom one looks more life-like.

To me the top one looks like an unadjusted picture with a colour cast on it...but that's just me. I'm always wrong!

The top does look nice and warm though so I guess its all a matter of taste.

To me the bottom one looks nicer. Don't forget, our atmosphere is blue so all daylight tends to have a blue tint to it...obviously sunrise, sunset and clouds etc tend to mask the blue. But for realism sake the bottom one looks more life-like.

To me the top one looks like an unadjusted picture with a colour cast on it...but that's just me. I'm always wrong!

The top does look nice and warm though so I guess its all a matter of taste.

Yup, this was at sunset and is definitely a bit "cold" for that light but it's not off by too much. I agree that on almost every screen I have seen the pic on since my OP the top one looks "too much" to me. Good example of how a monitor can skew perception and the way others see it though.

I'm gonna stick with the calibrated profile on that machine ;) Now I guess I should run it again though to correct for the shift I've gotten over the last 6mo or more!

Back