Jump_Ace

Compare Yourself To The Best Of Your Own Abilities
Staff Emeritus
United States
Portland, OR
Jump_Ace
JUMPxACE
Hi all,

Since day one my EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid has had an issue where at random times, my monitor will go black for about a second. I can't seem to track down the issue, it's just the DP, HDMI works just fine all day everyday. Here's what troubleshooting I've done so far:
- Tried a 2070 Super Hybrid, same issue almost immediately as well
- Tried a different DP cable
- Tried a different monitor
- Tried a Corsair 750w 80+ Platinum p/s instead of my EVGA 750w 80+ gold p/s
- The same DP cable and monitor work just fine using the onbaord DP on my motherboard, all day everyday
- Tried the latest EVGA drivers
- Turned off fast startup
- Tried just microsoft drivers after using DDU to remove all the drivers
- Tried a different PCI-E slot on my motherboard
- Underclocked my VC about 10% (is around 40 degrees idle)
- It doesn't matter what I'm running if anything, it's just random(?)
- Zero BSODs with my PC it's about 3 months old
- Not daisy chaining the power to the VC
- Tried every DP on the VC
- My +12v is rock solid at 12.172 (EVGA p/s) and 12.076 (Corsair p/s)
- Updated MoBo firmware
- Tried a different refresh rate, 59Hz, 144Hz and when I select 60Hz windows just flips it back to 59Hz. Odd.
- Disconnected my TV (using HDMI cable currently)
- Changed the Nvidia control panel 3D settings > power mgt. mode to prefer maximum performance
- No issues with the display coming back on after locking my computer for a few hours, it's set to never hibernate
- The latest thing I tried just now was to turn off G-Sync...I am not holding out hope.

Some Specs:
- Nothing is overclocked
- Win 10 Pro x64
- 32GB of Corsair Dominator DDR4 RAM running at spec
- i5-9600K Corsair water-cooled unit
- ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming LGA 1151 MoBo

Is there something else I can try outside of another motherboard? I'd 'prefer' to not completely tear this apart and re-apply paste etc because my onboard DP works just fine as does the HDMI. I want to say it's a driver issue, but I went down that road first.

I've googled this and so far I haven't had any success. Any suggestions? And thanks in advance!

Jerome

Hm. A few things I can think to suggest are make sure the cables aren't touching as it could be interference, though that's not very likely. Better to be safe than sorry, of course. Uh... try a different DP port, though I'm sure that's crossed your mind already.

Turning off G-Sync was a good call as it could very well be that. What brand of DP cable are you using? Admittedly, it's both a long shot and a potential waste of money, but you could also try a DP certified cable.

Hey buddy!

I have tried a couple 'Amazon Name Brand' DP cables that I've used in the past at my old job; good cables. I tried every DP port on my VC. My last hope is a USB-C>DP cable. If that doesn't work, I'll just use the onboard DP as that is solid. I'd have to kiss any triple screen hopes good-bye, but I don't really have room for that setup anyway. Its more the principal of the thing, I have this (expensive) VC, I would like to put it to good use :)

Jerome

It could be an issue with the BIOS or the card itself. I remember this being a pretty big issue with 2000-series cards. You could always try getting in touch with EVGA or hell, even use their step-up program and get a 308—on second thought, don't do that right now. :lol:

Still, you could try getting in touch with EVGA. They have great customer support. If it's not that big of deal at the end of the day, then do exactly what you were planning to anyway.

I had this problem with my 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor and resolved it using a shorter cable. Display cables of any type need to be derated depending on bandwidth or length, meaning the longer the cable is the less data you can pass through it or the more data you pass through it, the shorter it needs to be. High refresh rates and/or resolutions mean the cable needs to be shorter (assuming the conductors in the cable are the same gauge), maybe you'll be able to find a super fat DP cable that can do your native resolution and refresh at the length you need though.

If you do, please let me know... I had to go down to a 120cm cable (from 200) to make mine work and haven't been able to use my monitor since I moved because the only place I can put my PC is 3m from the only place I can put the monitor!

I had a similar flickering issue with my EVGA 1660 Super that wound up being driver related. I rolled back to the previous driver before it flickered and the card worked fine. Probably won't help since you already tried troubleshooting the drivers, but just noting that it solved my problem. I don't know why, but I've been having that problem with a few of the NVIDIA drivers recently.

I wonder if this is one of those "Your Display Driver stopped responding for a second, but has recovered!" things that may or may not show a Windows notification, but will show in Event Viewer.

Back