Monitor size - is 22" too small?

• Thread starter mooby
  • 22 comments
Poland
Poland
Hi! I want to give GT Sport a try. I have never played a race sim game, but for this one I plan on buying a ps4 and a wheel and I'm excited to start! Since I will be just starting out, I'm not that serious about the setup, yet I would like to avoid any big mistakes.

So my question - is the game playable with a 22 or 24" monitor/tv sitting on a desk (with a wheel)? How about a 32" on a desk I don't have a lot of possibilities at the time due to living briefly in different locations, and 22" might be the only option for now - if it suffices.

Thanks!

Ask your wife/partner.. :lol:

Welcome to GT Planet! :gtpflag:

They say your distance from tv/monitor should be proportionate to screen size. I dont see why that logic wouldn't apply here also. I had a friend with a small tv in his study and he had no problems driving on his ps4.

Is your eyesight fine? If it is, then personally I think screen size should be ok if you can sit reasonably close. However, if you use a wheel that might mean you're needing to sit further back as the wheel will be between you the monitor/tv. The further back you sit, the less detail you will see clearly on screen - I am thinking particularly of HUD information, track maps etc

Have you played the game before, with friends etc? Might give you a feel for what you will see on screen.

Do you have a laptop? If so, you could watch a YouTube replay on it at the right distance and get an idea from that?

Also, you could think about trying it out in store somewhere? Measure the distance between yourself and where the monitor will be at home, stand in approx the same position in front of a 22/24 screen in a store and check.

But honestly, with a modern reasonable spec monitor/tv, I doubt screen size would be a problem in most situations.

Make sure to read some reviews on wheels online.

There should be some good Black Friday deals (even if it doesn't actually technically exist here in the UK, you'd never believe it now) on wheels in the US and UK this weekend and maybe elsewhere too, but have an idea of your budget range and the different pros and cons of the main wheels before, so you have something to check against before you impulse buy...

I wish you success and look forward to hearing the result. :cheers:

Thanks for the welcome and your input! Happy to join the community :D

Awesome to hear that a smaller screen will do. I was browsing another thread and it seemed like everyone was using 40" or bigger. So I will use 24" in the beginning and perhaps upgrade to a 32" later.

Yeah and the black friday is here in Poland too, it's been for years. I actually was thinking about t150, as I saw it mentioned online and I saw it in electronic store too. Is that good for beginning? I wouldn't consider more expensive wheels at this point.

My 46" TV got spoiled/damaged and I have to use the 27" PC monitor as a temporary replacement, and I think its too small, go figure

Thanks for the welcome and your input! Happy to join the community :D

Awesome to hear that a smaller screen will do. I was browsing another thread and it seemed like everyone was using 40" or bigger. So I will use 24" in the beginning and perhaps upgrade to a 32" later.

Yeah and the black friday is here in Poland too, it's been for years. I actually was thinking about t150, as I saw it mentioned online and I saw it in electronic store too. Is that good for beginning? I wouldn't consider more expensive wheels at this point.
I would go for a G29 than a T150.

Back in the day I used the 22er right beyond my steering wheel - no problems at all. As said before, it all depends on the viewing distance.

32” inches is plenty big if it’s right behind the wheel, these pics are a 32” mounted directly behind the wheel. I’m up to a 42” now though in the same place. :)

12EA91BE-9B2D-488B-9C45-B3447325B2E9.jpeg

494003AB-31AB-4D14-A219-CA565450EA12.jpeg

F416BD1C-34C2-46DB-B7AB-69615E62146C.jpeg

Nice setup, thanks for sharing. :)

I was wondering is it realistic to pack wheels and pedals in a suitcase? I have seen the box of t1150 and the box itself looked too big to fit, but perhaps unpacked it would. What do you think? Now I wished I had a car :D

Nice setup, thanks for sharing. :)

I was wondering is it realistic to pack wheels and pedals in a suitcase? I have seen the box of t1150 and the box itself looked too big to fit, but perhaps unpacked it would. What do you think? Now I wished I had a car :D

Depends on the depth of the suitcase. The T150 is basically the same size as the DFGT, but it's basically as high as it is deep. Just measured mine roughly as 30cm high vs 35cm deep (plus cables etc).

Well Black friday got me. I saw PS4 about $100 cheaper (which is equivalent of 400 home-currency-bucks). No discounts on the wheels though. I chose t150 as I read that it has better force feedback.

The wheel is not as a big as I thought which is good - it will fit in my suitcase. I have a 32" at the moment but it's only in the flat I'm currently renting.

See you on track soon :) That's a damned big update.

So far I drove 2 2-hour-long sessions. Mostly in the driving school. Might take some time before I'm able to race online, but I already love it!

The setup like on the picture seems ok, but I don't have anything for comparison. I imagine a smaller screen closer to the wheel will be fine too. Or now after thinking about it, maybe I was doing it wrong, but right when I started 32" right behind the wheel was overwhelming to the eyes and it felt a bit as if I was staring at a wall, just too close.

Last edited:
I'm playing on a 24" now, and it's pretty good, maybe even better than a 32". I found that sitting before a large screen up close strains my eyes very fast.

By the way, I was also tempted to try VR. I wasn't blown away really. Yes it is a bit more immersive and you can look to the sides, but I don't think it's worth risking the eyes.

I used a 24" monitor and worked fine. Unless you have eyesight issues, 24" should be OK if you place it right behind the wheel base.

Ergonomics is more important that screen size. Get a decent chair/seat and driving position.

Back