Monkey See, Monkey do.

United States
Indiana USA
tmsheehan
Have you ever experienced something so odd that you thought “now why did I do that?”

So I have noticed on random occasions while racing (both online and offline against the AI) I am following a car and for some reason the lead car does something odd which I blindly (unexpectedly) follow.

So as an example the lead car goes wide and rolls into a sand trap or goes extra deep into a corner completely missing the apex. There I am, following along.

Afterwards I scratch my head looking at my approach speed, angle, and follow through path thinking that everything looked good. So why in the world did I miss everything and follow the lead into that mess?

I was curious if this happens to others.

Could be dirty air but it also could be that classic case of that phenomena where you are so fixated on the car in front and what they are doing, that you end up following them off the track. Happens in real life too, in fact its something Driving Instructors actually talk about if I'm not mistaken.

Could be dirty air but it also could be that classic case of that phenomena where you are so fixated on the car in front and what they are doing, that you end up following them off the track. Happens in real life too
An example from not long ago when Norris was leading Russell, brushed the barrier, and Russell ended up hitting the wall even harder.

It's because when you follow a car up close, you use them as a reference since you can't really see the racing line otherwise, apart from looking at your surroundings.

And you kinda have to stare at the car in case something happens with them.
I was curious if this happens to others.
So yes, following a car with such precision as to replicate any mistake they make, is very common; happens to professionals as well. :lol:

Last edited:
It's a common phenomena called "target focalisation" it's particularly prevalent with new motorbike riders who stare at curbs or road signs/street furniture and end up hitting them.

You go where you look. The main thing is always to look where you want to be not where everything/anyone else is.

Largely it's not actually an issue when your are just focusing on driving. If it was the roads would be jammed with people rear ending each other.

When you dial the pace or pressure up and the two and related it's more likely to happen.

We are curious and multitasking by nature and that works with and against us.

It only takes one car we are focused on, one corner where you stare at the gravel, one curb as 8year old us struggles to ride near as we looked down.

Dirty air and poor line choice are very good reasons for this but both can be countered with as the other poster said. Race the road not the people.

....target fixation. As mentioned, look at where you want to go vs. what you're trying to avoid, etc. I've seen bikers go down in a corner with no other apparent reason (e.g. traffic, excess speed, etc.), motorists running into emergency vehicles on the side of the road, etc.

Back