The Disease Formerly Known as Monkeypox (Now Mpox)

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 69 comments

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
4jvyvvn2gv091.jpg

It's probably time to talk about monkeypox since at the moment, there are over 100 confirmed/suspected cases in 12 countries:

Thankfully, monkeypox isn't nearly as contagious as something like COVID-19, we have a known vaccine that can be upwards of 85% effective, and we have treatments that do work. However, we all know how that goes and how well people will take this seriously. I won't link it, but Alex Jones is already saying monkeypox is coming from the COVID vaccine because he's an idiot.

Thankfully, the string we are seeing in the US and Europe isn't as horrible as other strains of the virus. For most people and with the strain that's been observed currently the fatality rate is likely less than 1%. However, people with immune deficiencies could see a fatality in upwards of 10% of cases. So it's likely in the same ballpark as COVID, but given that you can see where it could become a major issue.

Here's what the CDC says about the symptoms of monkeypox:

And what it says about transmission:

Monkeypox sounds like something 5-10 year old kids make up to tease other kids at school. :lol: Also, how lucky must one be to run a tabletop exercise for an outbreak of Monkeypox a year prior? At least the world will be prepared for this one, and we can quickly stamp it down.

Last edited:
The conspiracy stuff is already getting pretty crazy. However, one thing that I'm not 100% sure about is who is potentially more affected. Some sources claim that gay men are at a higher risk and the outbreak has been traced to two raves in Spain and Belgium, however other sources are claiming that this is homophobic. I'm not sure what to believe though and I think it might still be too early to tell.

Rather worryingly, we now have probable monkeypox in Salt Lake:

I can't help but wonder if this isn't Harambe's revenge.

What will they think of next!? A disease to turn us into mice. This world has gone mad and it's only going to get worse!! They said this pandemic isn't going anywhere soon. Hope it's not around indefinitely.

The conspiracy stuff is already getting pretty crazy. However, one thing that I'm not 100% sure about is who is potentially more affected. Some sources claim that gay men are at a higher risk and the outbreak has been traced to two raves in Spain and Belgium, however other sources are claiming that this is homophobic. I'm not sure what to believe though and I think it might still be too early to tell.

A large number of the cases in the UK (not that there have been very many in general) have been with gay men, and it's spread primarily through close physical contact. I think we can connect the dots here.

I am curious about this. They said that it is part of the family of smallpox (well, not that close), but it is spreading like AIDS initially.

So it all goes back to the smallpox and chickenpox. Hope they can find a well-known cure for this and prove it.

So it all goes back to the smallpox and chickenpox. Hope they can find a well-known cure for this and prove it.
There is a vaccine for monkeypox that is 85% effective, from what I gather.

What will they think of next!? A disease to turn us into mice. This world has gone mad and it's only going to get worse!! They said this pandemic isn't going anywhere soon. Hope it's not around indefinitely.
Monkeypox has been known since 1958 when it was identified in macaques, it was first identified in humans in 1970. So this really isn't anything new.
Smallpox yes, chickenpox no.

I am curious about this. They said that it is part of the family of smallpox (well, not that close), but it is spreading like AIDS initially.
Monkeypox belongs to the same genus as smallpox, so they are very closely related.

One reason why it might appear to be 'spreading like AIDS initially' is that close, prolonged, physical contact, esp. that which involves exchange of bodily fluids, is a sure-fire way to spread the disease, though by no means the only way.

Monkeypox belongs to the same genus as smallpox, so they are very closely related.

One reason why it might appear to be 'spreading like AIDS initially' is that close, prolonged, physical contact, esp. that which involves exchange of bodily fluids, is a sure-fire way to spread the disease, though by no means the only way.
That part I understand. What I don't understand is why heterosexual individuals are less likely to be spreading the virus.

That part I understand. What I don't understand is why heterosexual individuals are less likely to be spreading the virus.
There's a few reasons as far as I can see... firstly, if for some reason there's a higher prevalence of the virus within a community to begin with for no particular reason, it is bound to spread 'faster' than somewhere where it is less prevalent. Secondly, it depends on what one means by 'faster' - viruses can and do often spread at an exponential rate, but depending on the number of cases, the number of new cases per day/week etc. will be different, even though the 'rate' of growth/R0 of the virus is exactly the same. Lastly, it will likely spread more easily within communities/people that have more liberal attitudes towards sex and those who have more frequent sex with different partners.

Either way, I don't think it is a phenomenon that will last for long, as cases start to become more and more widespread in the community as a whole.

Last edited:
There are now 78 cases of monkeypox in the UK according to the Press Association. That seems like quite the exponential growth since this time last week.

Vaginas self lubricate... Less chances of microcuts that come with anal.

I thought this was well known.

So what you're telling me is I don't have to worry about getting monkeypox anytime soon.

So what you're telling me is I don't have to worry about getting monkeypox anytime soon.
You should worry about it as much as you should worry about AIDS, which you should be worried enough about to take precautions. No rawdogging in casual encounters, no changing needles, etc.

It turns out monkeys are just really homophobic.
R3V

For covid the media focus was to create awareness for people to wear masks and stay home if they're sick. For monkeypox they will be asking the public to treat the rear orifice as an exit only. :lol:

Last edited:
R3V

I am familiar with the former, not so much the latter. But that does explain why hot wings hate me so much. :lol:

FTs8U62XsAI_c50.jpg

Just the absolute stupidest mother****ers.

And yes, I laugh at Candace Owens. Because stupid is funny.

Last edited:
Back