MOPAR Excellence: Jeep Grand Cherokee and Chrysler 300 SRT-8

• Thread starter Philly
  • 23 comments

Philly

Phillium
Premium
You can find Autoblog articles for the Jeep and Chrysler here.

We'll start off with the Jeep (Pics from Jalopnik)

Autoblog
The 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 will make its official debut on the floor of the 2011 New York Auto Show today and, according to Chrysler, it's the fastest Jeep ever built. How does 0-60 miles per hour in 4.8 seconds on its way to a governed 155-mph top speed sound? For those of you who live your lives a quarter mile at a time, the big Jeep will down the strip in the mid-13-second range.

Even with performance numbers knocking on supercar territory, not to mention a 465-horsepower 6.4-liter Hemi V8, Jeep claims the new SRT8 gets 13-percent better fuel economy than its predecessor. To keep the gas mileage respectable, Jeep has employed a new active exhaust system that lets Chrysler's cylinder-deactivating Fuel Saver Technology operate over a wider RPM band. The fuel economy numbers are so good that the SUV can now travel up to 450 miles on a single tank before needing another drink of dinosaur juice.

Straight-line numbers and (relatively) impressive MPGs aren't this big SUV's only trick. Thanks in part to Jeep's new Selec-Track system with five distinct drive modes (including Sport), Chrysler says the new Grand Cherokee SRT8 will also hold on for a .90-g skid pad performance. Even better, it can haul itself down from 60 mph in an abrupt 116 feet.

Inside there's a list of standard features as long as your arm, including SIRIUS satellite radio, a DVD and MP3-capable stereo and new steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters. Options include a 19-speaker, 825-watt Harmann-Kardon stereo complete with a 10-inch subwoofer, a dual-pane tinted sunroof and a power liftgate.

Look for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 to hit dealerships this summer, and stay tuned for live shots of the new SRT8 direct from the 2011 New York Auto Show floor later today. In the meantime, there's more details in Jeep's lengthy press release after the jump.

63ubs9.jpg

34eq0z6.jpg

And the Chrysler:

Autoblog
The redesigned 2011 Chrysler 300 took a leap forward in refinement, but the large sedan's makeover didn't come with an SRT8 variant. No worries, though, because the all-new, more powerful and damn sharp-looking 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT8 is debuting today at the 2011 New York Auto Show.

There's a lot to go over on this new 300 SRT8, but we wouldn't waste a vowel before talking power. Gone is the 425-horsepower 6.1-liter Hemi V8, replaced with the the Pentastar's new 6.4-liter Hemi V8 engine that first appeared in the new Challenger SRT8 392. The new V8 produces 465 horsepower and 465 pound-feet of torque, up 40 ponies and 45 lb-ft versus the outgoing engine. What's more, that upgraded output is also more usable for 2012, as Chrysler tells us we can expect an additional 80 lb-ft of torque at 2,900 rpm, which translates into more thrust from a standstill. How much? Official estimates are 0-60 "in the high four-second range," and a quarter-mile time of fewer than 13 seconds. The transmission of choice will be the carryover five-speed automatic, though paddle shifters will join the automatic to give drivers a couple options for gear selection.

2mx08qw.jpg

9lixhj.jpg

For the Jeep, I'm really happy to see that the big SRT SUV lunacy is still around. I've always loved the SRT-8 GC just because it makes no sense, but is still good on the street. I'm a little disappointed in the front end though. Looks like something Mansory would cook up on a good day. But the rest of it looks sick. I want one for sure.

The 300 looks downright evil. I think I'd take it over the Charger just for those looks. I'd be scared of the car (and probably the person driving it too...) if I saw one on the road. The white paint and black accents look very good on it.

Last edited:
The 300 is badass. GC is weird, front is lowered way down and the back looks similar, not right for proportion. Still, any company with a ridiculous fast and unneeded SUV is cool in my book. Hope it can take on the ML63, although I wonder if it keeps some off-road ability.

Also hope they both get an 8-speed soon.

Paint the 300C in black you got yourself a mafia-mobile. And, I have selection of SUVs that I actually like, the Jeep SRT-8 is welcomed to that short list.

Last edited:
The car looks dumb as hell. The Jeep at least looks neat up front because the grille reminds me of skeleton teeth or something. If that thing was silver and black it would be a perfect Raiders fan.

I'm so glad MOPAR did with the 300C grille what I wish Chrysler had done stock... make it cross hatch and resemble the previous version more. Both are excellent with tasteful tweaks and that Jeep looks mean!

Robin.

The new 300C SRT-8 looks fantastic, and with that ridiculous 392 V8 under the hood, I'd love to have a crack at driving one. All things considered, it stands alone in the segment that was once quite lively. No G8 GXP, the SHO didn't get the update it deserved, and the only other options cost an extra $20K and show up from Germany.

Let me get this straight. The new SRT-8 GC goes 0-60 in less than 5s, stops from 60 in less than 120ft and has a 0.90g skidpad? Those sound like sports car territory numbers. Sweet. :D

The old GC SRT-8 did 0-60 in as little as 4.3 seconds. I imagine this will be about the same.

The 300C looks great, though the headlights look like they came off a recent Ford. But, I give it props. The car is already in the 11's, stock on some radials. :drool:

JCE
Let me get this straight. The new SRT-8 GC goes 0-60 in less than 5s, stops from 60 in less than 120ft and has a 0.90g skidpad? Those sound like sports car territory numbers. Sweet. :D

I believe a slalom figure would disappoint you. :lol:

That Charger is sweet! I prefer the new 300C though. And the white actually suits it, which I really didn't expect.

saw these pics on autoblog, kinda like the front for the Jeep SRT8 although the grill is kinda funky, but notice the stance is a little bit high compared to the old one.... and these rims! HIDEOUS! plus they ditch the center exhaust! WTH!

I'm digging the new Chrysler. The old one was a headstone on wheels, while this one looks like they actually put some thought into it. As for the Jeep, it looks great, but has anyone shown it a corner yet? I think I'll stick to a Bimmer X5.

saw these pics on autoblog, kinda like the front for the Jeep SRT8 although the grill is kinda funky, but notice the stance is a little bit high compared to the old one.... and these rims! HIDEOUS! plus they ditch the center exhaust! WTH!

Center exhaust is gone for towing purposes. Might as well do something with all that torque. However it seems like most MOPAR fans are clamoring for a center exhaust kit, so maybe we'll see one in the future.

I can't get over how ugly the new charger is. Every time I see one it bothers me. The challenger rear end doesn't look good with the body style. The side body lines and door scoops looks very cheap and "try hard". The previous gen looked rather plain and understated and this one just looks too over the top.

Back