More classic F1 cars

• Thread starter DUBLBarryl
  • 7 comments

Are you happy with the classic/historic F1 content offered in today's racing simulators and games?

• Total voters
United States
Woodland, CA
DUBL_Barryl88
Am I the only one who would like to drive more classic F1 cars in GT6, or any game period? I absolutely love the Lotus 97T, but I would love to experience all the other classic F1 cars. Yes, there is the option to simply go play Codemaster's F1 2013 Classics Edition, but the physics, reality and overall quality of that game seem to have not been taken too seriously by the developers. I feel Polyphony could pull it off, like they did in their previous installment that included the classics, with different names. Why not do that again Polyphony? Create your own versions of different years of F1. As a die hard fan of classic F1, I think there are many of us who would like to see this. Everyone, have a good one. I hope to hear your responses.

Last edited:
The problem with them is that apparently licensing costs an awful load of money, and when you have, say, 10 different highly expensive F1 cars, which all do 'close-to-identical-things-to-the-point-that-only-trained-F1-drivers-could-even-tell-the-difference', there is not much point in getting licensing for more than a couple. :indiff:

I thought Sennas Lotus was just the beginning, but all we get is crappy VGT cars, even if they made them downloadable like in Gt5 you could then decide if you want to by them.
Gt series has run out of puff now, Gt6 was a letdown, fair enough though the series has been going since 1998 and Ive played every game, but the competitors have now surpassed GT we'll have to see if they bother with GT7.

Last edited:
The problem with them is that apparently licensing costs an awful load of money, and when you have, say, 10 different highly expensive F1 cars, which all do 'close-to-identical-things-to-the-point-that-only-trained-F1-drivers-could-even-tell-the-difference', there is not much point in getting licensing for more than a couple. :indiff:
Don't buy the expensive licensing argument. If games like Assetto Corsa and Project Cars, developed on a shoestring budget relative to GT, can afford classic F1 cars, then anyone can. PCars is about to release a classic car pack with several classic F1 and F2 cars in it, to go with the Lotus 49, Lotus 72D, Lotus 78T and Lotus 98T already in the game. AC has the Ferrari 312T, Lotus 98T and Lotus 49 as well. Forza has the 1967 Brabham BT24, 1976 Ferrari 312T2, Lotus 49 and 77, Mclaren M2B, M8B and M23 and maybe more.

It's pretty obvious that as a minimum, Lotus, McLaren and Ferrari has opened up all or some of their entire library of cars for anyone that wants them given they are in several games and there is no obvious or advertised exclusivity. It's just a question of GT wanting the cars and making it a priority to include them in the next game. It's one of the ultimate tests of the physics of any game, IMO, to recreate what it's like to race with hundreds of horsepower on often skinny, hard tires, with little to no downforce in some cars, and massive downforce in others with older tire technology and big fat tires.

Don't buy the expensive licensing argument. If games like Assetto Corsa and Project Cars, developed on a shoestring budget relative to GT, can afford classic F1 cars, then anyone can. PCars is about to release a classic car pack with several classic F1 and F2 cars in it, to go with the Lotus 49, Lotus 72D, Lotus 78T and Lotus 98T already in the game. AC has the Ferrari 312T, Lotus 98T and Lotus 49 as well. Forza has the 1967 Brabham BT24, 1976 Ferrari 312T2, Lotus 49 and 77, Mclaren M2B, M8B and M23 and maybe more.

It's pretty obvious that as a minimum, Lotus, McLaren and Ferrari has opened up all or some of their entire library of cars for anyone that wants them given they are in several games and there is no obvious or advertised exclusivity. It's just a question of GT wanting the cars and making it a priority to include them in the next game. It's one of the ultimate tests of the physics of any game, IMO, to recreate what it's like to race with hundreds of horsepower on often skinny, hard tires, with little to no downforce in some cars, and massive downforce in others with older tire technology and big fat tires.
Hey Johnny,if people don't believe that 2 games that don't have the pittance of the budget that GT has,well its true.
I think the problem is,these 2 games are "racing car Sim games" as opposed to here is your Miatas,etc,etc,etc have at it. Try those 2 games,trust me,GT will never be played again.

Don't get me wrong, I could live with AC and PCars, but they are incomparable to GT, being that in GT the cars are fully customizable and can be tuned and tweaked to your liking. AC and PCars simply look good and have great physics, but GT has that appeal. It has that feeling of authenticity. This is why I'd like to see Polyphony possibly reintroduce their iterations of historic and classic F1 cars (if can't get rights to actual cars), cars we can fully tune and customize to our liking, at least rims, paint, decals, and liveries. That is all. I understand the cost and politics can be hard to get past, but Polyphony has already proven they have ways around those factors.

Don't get me wrong, I could live with AC and PCars, but they are incomparable to GT, being that in GT the cars are fully customizable and can be tuned and tweaked to your liking. AC and PCars simply look good and have great physics, but GT has that appeal. It has that feeling of authenticity. This is why I'd like to see Polyphony possibly reintroduce their iterations of historic and classic F1 cars (if can't get rights to actual cars), cars we can fully tune and customize to our liking, at least rims, paint, decals, and liveries. That is all. I understand the cost and politics can be hard to get past, but Polyphony has already proven they have ways around those factors.
AC and Project Cars both have many more real life tuning options than GT. The dampers alone have several adjustments each and each wheel is independently adjustable. What GT has is the ability to upgrade your cars with additional parts which is not the same as actually tuning those parts or the car. The tuning adjustments in PCars and AC give it a much greater feeling of authenticity because you can actually adjust and tune almost everything that you can on the real car, whereas in PD the tuning is much more towards the simplistic side of things.

If they introduce some classic F1 cars I'd rather they didn't allow any power or tire upgrades at all. It would be very arcade to me to see a Lotus 49 with 900hp, a big wing slapped on the back and racing soft tires. Defeats the whole purpose of "simulation".

Why does every other thread have to be turned into a PC vs AC vs GT?

This thread is about classic F1 cars in GT6. Simples.

Back