neanderthal
are you on crack? you might want to keep up with the latest developments. the audi R10 won the 24 hours of sebring. comfortably.
in real world driving the diesel versions of popular cars like the 3 series and E class are the preferred models, by the pundits and talking heads and journalists even. diesels are outselling petrol cars. see sales figures for europe if you dont believe me.
you might want to try driving a new diesel, that old 2000rpm power band is being stretched by better technology and gearing.
Ok So there is one multimillion dollar diesel that is actually great...wow...
I could tell you 200 nondiesel supercars with outstandning performance and sound.
So back to the real world. Diesels are popular, I'm from Germany and diesel cars are extremely popular here, actually I'd say over 40% of new cars are diesels. And I've driven many of them myself or I was passenger. BMW 330d, MB S400 CDI etc... And I don't really like them performancewise... They give you the impression of performance because of that massive torque, but it's simply an illusion.
I have a Subaru Impreza WRX STi (performance is in my signature) and I havn't met a diesel that can match it. They could develop one for sure, but they don't. And if they would, the car would still sound horrible.
Diesels are better than 10 years ago, but so are the petrol cars. Tell me some random diesel for a certain price and I'll tell you at least 3 petrol cars which are faster (with better sound). Fuel efficiency is the real advantage. But everything else...meh ...
AFAIK this is an old myth. petrol has always had more noxious emissions, whch recently have been curtailed greatly. diesels were scapegoated early and often because of the black smoke, but it wasnt as deadly as the smoke from a petrol engined car.
i could be wrong about the last one.
You are wrong about that one. The latest diesels are ok, no doubt about it. But without these particle filter systems diesels are far more dangerous for your health than petrol cars. It's a bit complex to tell here, especially in English (for me) but it all comes down to that : the diesel emissions cause lung cancer and all kind of lung-aspiration deseases. They also have an influence on alergic reactions.
It is the other way round so to say. Diesel was underestimated for a long time.