More Federal Requirements to Bloat Prices

• Thread starter skip0110
  • 32 comments
CFM
People already pay virtually no attention to what they are doing when they are behind the wheel. Hey, let's add one more thing they don't have to think about so everyone can have more time to talk on their cellphone, apply makeup, read a magazine, and everything else that simply HAS to be done while driving these days!

I was getting ready to call you stupid for even suggesting that people might be applying makeup while in reverse, but then I remembered: the other day I was in a really trendy section of Pentwater, Michigan, a really trendy town nearby and I was following a local woman in an A6. She was on the phone and slowed down to attempt to parallel park. I told my wife, in the passenger seat of my car, that they should be selling tickets to this because there was no way she was getting in without hitting the SUVs in front and behind her. Not only, however, did she get in, but she reversed just once and went forward once - and made it perfectly. Into a normal-sized spot. On the phone.

Crazy.

a6m5
Very true. Another thing that really bothers me are the elderly drivers. Yes, some drive just fine, but I've seen some of them do crazy driving. I've nearly gotten hit by them several times and did get hit once(my only accident,ever). Every incidents has been when they are trying to get on the road from the driveways or parking lots. They see me coming from block or two away, but doesn't move. Just as I'm close enough to get hit, they jump out into me from the side or front of me. Other times, I see them driving 10, 20 miles under the posted speed.
The only close call I've ever had was partly due to a senior citizen driver. I won't describe the entire event in detail, but some idiot in a Volvo was driving at well below the posted speed limit, and about 30 seconds later, with me making no stops or changes in speed, he was right beside me... when I needed his lane to make an evasive manouver. Thankfully, nothing happened though.

Sage
You have kids, you take friggin' responsibility for them (as in, make sure you actually know where they are at all times). You also teach them that it's stupid to stand behind a car backing up. Life skills.
Couldn't agree more. There are way too many people like that who are completely unfit to raise children today.

M5Power
The backup camera is available on the FX (FX35 $7200; FX45 $6800), QX56 ($1100), and standard on the Q45.

Only idiots have blind spots. Learn to properly adjust mirrors and it shouldn't be an issue.

The only things that should be standard on all vehicles are seat belts, dual front airbags, side curtain airbags, and four-wheel antilock brakes. The first two are already standard and there is no sensible reason why the last one shouldn't be.

I own cars equipped with rear back-up sensors and I hate them to no end; I'd never want them federally required. In situations where backing up is already an issue - a tight parking space with SUVs on either side - they make a potentially high-pressure situation exponentially more difficult with loud beeping. They're among the least-useful safety innovations in cars today.

Many people don't like anti lock brakes. Most people who have taken a performance driving course absolutely hate them now. generally theyre good for an inexperienced driver who needs to stop and swerve at the same time, or is just in an impulse state where they kind of play it by instinct (or lack-there-of).

There are so many loose ends and things that don't make sense with that story of the lady who backed up over he child...#1. does she not check her mirrors? #2. would she not check to see if theres anything that has been left behind the car like a bike or lawnmower? #3. DOES SHE NOT KNOW WHERE HER CHILD IS? #4. does she not take her kids with her when she goes places, or does she just leave them to fend on their own? #5. why would she be going in reverse that fast?

I could keep going for a while...sorry but it just sickens me with the ignorance of some people sometimes. I recently saw a video on "Ignorance: The American Trait" or something like that in english. It was about how Americans don't know anything about Canada. Is this true? Do you really know nothing about us? I don't particularily care it's just that we know so much about the US and TV shows protray us as a bunch of bacon eating, beer swilling, Igloo-living nice people who are easily afraid. My friend was in Buffalo and she stopped @ a McDonald's for lunch and was talking about how to get back to the highway and this lady walked up to her and said
"You're not from around here, are ya?"
"No I'm from Canada"
"Ohhh Canada?? Where abouts?"
"Guelph."
"Where?"
"TORONTO."
"Ohhh yah. Nice there huh?"
"Yup."
"I bet its pretty cold there right now, huh?"
"Same as it is here..."
"Oh yah? Well how about McDonalds. You like McDonalds? We got 'em all over here in the states. Good food, huh?"
"Ew. I hate this place...they're all over Canada too."
"Ooh really? So how you like this big malls, pretty neat huh?"
"We have big malls too...and Walmart."
"Oh yah...how about these big tall buildin's, betcha never seen them before?"
"We have plenty of skyscrapers. The CN tower is the tallest building in the world. . .In Edmonton we have the biggest mall in the world."
And then she finished eating and left the astounded Texan lady (in Buffalo) standing in McDonalds: The worlds most amazing food chain. Are Americans really like that? Cuz...holy **** if you are lol. I know the American Gov't is just gay, but I'm wondering if the citizens of USA are acctually that ignorant. By any chance that woman who ran her kid over wasn't American was she? jk. But my point stands. And i'd also liek to know about the amcn ppl thing.

Latest Posts

Back