More from the 'Advice for a Newbie' Guy

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jibaholic
  • 6 comments
  • 896 views
Messages
24
Hello, thanks for all the helpful suggestions. If anyone is curious, I opted to do the following:

1. Use ABS 0 and turn all assists off except for the racing line.
2. I started with a mixture of time trials and races, basically for the first two Sunday Cup races, while I got used to driving with a wheel. Lots of skidding at first!
3. Once I won the first few series, I concentrated on the license tests. I've got golds for the B licenses. Haven't started the A's yet.

Question 1: Buying Cars

Now I'm working on races again. I won the OFC-1 Concept '07. I've been using it for the Lightweight K-Cup even though it is a bit underpowered. I have to say, the temptation to buy something more powerful - even if just average for the series - is overwhelming. I can't get past 3rd place. So right now I'm torn between going two routes: (Option A) Spend an hour or three time trialing with the OFC-1 until I can shave a second or two off my lap times. (Option B) buying a car that is about average for the typical opponents. I'm pretty sure I'd win easily if I did that.

Which do you suggest? Does Option B lead to the dark side?

Question 2: The Racing Line

I noticed in the license test, particularly B7, that the racing line is too conservative. I never used brakes on the test and got gold. In fact, on the last turn of B7, I got back on the gas on the red patch in the racing line. The upshot is that I no longer trust the racing line. I'm not sure what my question is, just throwing out my experience with the racing line to the group.

Question 3: There are no stupid questions (only stupid people)

How do I start GT5? Right now, I power on the PS3. Then I open the Blu-Ray player and close it again, which launches GT5. But surely there is a better way!

P.S. I'm having a blast with the game!
 
Your starting from novice using ABS 0 ?, kudos, very very few people who race ABS 0 started that way, i know neither myself or my league mates started with ABS 0.

A lot of people who play GT5 ( not everyone ) use A-spec/seasonals etc as a means of getting money and leveling up to buy cars and sooner or later usually focus on online play and find a group of like minded players to race with, my advice would be not to get frustrated when you go online for the first few times, there are some terrible rooms and some great rooms, look in the clubs and leagues section to find a group that suits what you enjoy, thats where youll find the heart of GT5 in my opinon.

Question 1 : The off line AI is so bad that there isnt a great deal to be learnt from them, but using lower power cars is good for making A-spec fun

Question 2 : The racing line is only good for learning a track, definalty not good for braking/turn in points etc.

Question 3 : You can start GT5 by clicking on the GT5 icon in your Xmb menu
 
Last edited:
Welcome to GT5.👍
My advice is to have fun::D
Do your license tests offline and special events.:cool: particularly the nurburg ring ones
Use GTPlanet for lots of info.:cheers:
In time you will find the assistance here adds to the enjoyment of GT5.
Do not worry about cars too much as you will be able to buy all you want.
Money and exp can be gained easily online by playing seasonals a or b spec. E.g. A spec 500pp cape ring periphery and b spec Suzuka 600pp. But find ones that are easy for you as their are heaps.
This is a great community and it is large with heaps willing to help.
Tuning of cars becomes fun either your own tunes or using others. It can make a difference in time but early on not necessary. Use the tuning forum when ready.
Enjoy the ride:cheers::gtpflag:
 
Last edited:
(Option A) Spend an hour or three time trialing with the OFC-1 until I can shave a second or two off my lap times. (Option B) buying a car that is about average for the typical opponents. I'm pretty sure I'd win easily if I did that. (Option C) Buying some upgrades for the car.

This may be the best option to consider, slightly grippier tyres and a few minor power tweaks should see you sail past. Try small changes first if you don't wish to unbalance things.
 
The racing line really doesn't help you all that much because you will rely on it way too much. You'll pay attention more to the line rather than the track.

It found it 100 times easier to just race the same tracks over and over again until you memorize them. Yes, you can even memorize the Nürburgring if you spend enough time racing it.
 
Wow, you are just like me Jibaholic, I started playing GT5 since release day without no aids ( no ABS as well ). It took me good 6 months until I can put up competitive lap times in online races and TT. Just keep on practice and practice. I suggest joining Deadnutseven Racing hosted by JohnnyPenso, we have all kinds of skill level, ABS and no ABS drivers, we go by the same preset lap time as reference for entering a car, so everyone run the same pace, only skills, consistency and race craft will bring victory :D


DEADNUTSEVENRACING- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
 
Thanks for the responses guys! :)

I've turned off the racing line. So now all my assists are off. I didn't think it was that accurate anyways.

I've also cleared the Lightweight K-Cup. I guess I'm getting to be a better driver because it went back to it and won fairly easily even with the wimpy OFC-1 Concept. I think my general rule is that I want to use cars with a PP equal to or less than the average for the race.

Ridox, your racing room seems pretty interesting. I want to get into online racing, but while I try to be clean, I don't know if my car control is quite good enough to race online yet. I don't flagrantly dive-bomb turns or use other cars for bumpers, but some of my passes are still pretty ugly :/
 
Back