More mileage?

  • Thread starter Thread starter opendriver
  • 66 comments
  • 3,130 views
There's no universal pressure balance. Some of us like harder fronts as it helps handling, but some applications (trucks and SUVs mainly) require harder rears for load carrying.
No, not really. I've messed with air pressures on my tires a lot, from 28-37psi, and the lower, the better, It's just you lose response when you go lower, but with a fairly stiff sidewall and low profile tires, it's not really a problem. I like mine around 30 front and 30 rear, the back is lighter, it helps the car rotate better.

EDIT: It's not just me though, it's a well known fact that a lower psi helps with grip.
 
It probably depends on your tires, but most autocrossers I know run higher front pressures than rear to aid in rotation.

Mine are around 35 front 33 rear for street use. I have to run 33 or higher, if I run any lower, the outside treads on my front tires wear away before anything else. Everytime I drive any car on just 30, I get a nice smooth shave on the sidewalls... :lol: (and my last set was 205/45R16).

If you're on stiff sidewalls, yes, you can run lower pressures, but a wiggly, jiggly contact patch doesn't help handling... to keep the car sharp, you want the tire as stiff as possible without over-inflating it, which would lessen grip.
 
engine breaking should be used only on a race track to keep track of your revs/speed. and emergencies.

it's useless on the streets. sure its fun sometimes, your forcing a engine that has very little airflow allowed through, you are slowing your car down with your throttle body plate as you are forcing the engines air flow rate at "whichever rpm" through a set idle rpm.

say 6000rpm with your foot off the gas, your forcing all this vacuum on your intake manifold. and valve stems, too much engine breaking leads to leaky valve stem seals, eventually causing oil consumption.

so just let it idle till you stop your car.
 
Well, bit of a bump, but I did a little testing and....

I decided to run a full tank of 91 octane pisswater and see what difference it makes.

I saw a large jump in mileage,I went from 320-360 miles per tank, to 390-410 per tank

I plan on getting my oil changer on Friday, so ill see what that does

Any idea what methanol might do if I run a 1:12 mixture? I have a few spare gallons, so might as well use it somehow

Hope this helps anyone else with a mid-late 90's V-6
 
Another little tip that some have shown higher fuel economy with, is to put your car in Neutral at stop lights, and it uses less power (this only applies to cars with Automatic Transmission). It has to do with how much gas it takes to use the torque converter.
 
Well, bit of a bump, but I did a little testing and....

I decided to run a full tank of 91 octane pisswater and see what difference it makes.

I saw a large jump in mileage,I went from 320-360 miles per tank, to 390-410 per tank

I plan on getting my oil changer on Friday, so ill see what that does

Any idea what methanol might do if I run a 1:12 mixture? I have a few spare gallons, so might as well use it somehow

Hope this helps anyone else with a mid-late 90's V-6

It'll help mostly people with the same specific engine... all engines are tuned differently.

Just watch what oil you put in... at your truck's age, you might need high mileage oil.
 
Back