• 29 comments

Wardez

Not Hotdog
Staff Emeritus
United States
Las Vegas UTC-8
Wardez
Wardez
I'd think most agree that, after a certain point, fun is more important than pretty. The cars in GT look amazing, but for future titles, I think it'd be worth sacrificing a bit of graphical fidelity in order to allow more cars to be on track at once.

The feeling of being in a PC sim sharing a track like Spa with 30 or more cars is just amazing. I'm not asking for too much for GT though, anything over 16 would be a great start. (secretly hoping for at least 24).

24 is the minimum I expect for future GT titles. From GT4 to GT5 the cars went from 5,000 polygons to over 250,000. Yet PD managed to increase the car count from 6 to 16. If they keep GT5 premium models for PS4, they should easily be able to increase the car count to 24.

Id say stay at 24 and let any leftover power be put towards the scenery, weather effects, etc.

I'd like but .. PS3 is not capable to manage AT THE SAME time .. Phisics, graphics and IA for more than (IMHO) 6 or 7 cars on track ...
The only races with STANDING START are the races with the same cars (KART and REdbull jr.. )

IF they (PD) add the 3D it could be a decreasing of the capacity of the console (IMHO) .. and for us many other troubles ..

IR

Last edited:
I'd think most agree that, after a certain point, fun is more important than pretty. The cars in GT look amazing, but for future titles, I think it'd be worth sacrificing a bit of graphical fidelity in order to allow more cars to be on track at once.
Spot on there. I do think that sometimes PD seem to concentrate on the fine details rather than look at the overall picture.

Maybe keep the graphical fidelity for photo modes but perhaps run at a slightly lower poly count during races - when everyone's concentrating more on whats going on rather than looking at "sparkly" cars.

24 is the minimum I expect for future GT titles. From GT4 to GT5 the cars went from 5,000 polygons to over 250,000. Yet PD managed to increase the car count from 6 to 16. If they keep GT5 premium models for PS4, they should easily be able to increase the car count to 24.

Id say stay at 24 and let any leftover power be put towards the scenery, weather effects, etc.
i think this guy is actually the smartest one.

I would definitely like 24 cars on track in offline and career modes. I am not sure if internet connections etc would be able to cope with an online lobby with 24 members - the product would certainly have to be much more stable than it is now.

I would like 24 cars in online if cars 17 to 24 were AI (improved AI) cars - I have made this suggestion elsewhere - obviously only on a PS4.

If Codemasters can do it, PD CAN! Some AI improvement can come along with that too. And those multiple team liveries thing, much like the Pescarolo Cars and the 01 Audi R8.

Whats the point offline I would prefer 12 competitive cars to 30 slow ones.
Strangely enough I think arcade only allows 10 cars yet the AI is even worse so you cant set up any races worth doing.

If you're thinking of 32 cars online, you must be mad. 32 cars offline with improved AI, meh.

Oh yes, I am mad!!! Mad that there aren't already at least 20 cars on track in GT6! We've already gone from 11 to 5 locations in photo travel, everything is quicker and easier to use - they took out the unnecessary icons etc. - there are no course maker facilities and no race modifying a car (it's already done for us!). So if, as PD claim, the PS3 is being pushed to it's limit, why is there the same amount of cars on track as in GT5 but with less features? :boggled: 👎

43 cars for a good NASCAR Daytona 500 (*The Big One*)....
It's crazy, I know :D
For Gran Turismo 7, even 20 cars online will be guite good for me.

That I was going talking about: I agree with this feature and it should definetly have more cars in the track... I'm planning to organise an Nascar Championship... If PD is going to put this feature in GT7, it will be better, especially for Nascar championshhips which have 43 cars in real life... At least 300 cars on track, please... That's why I voted! 👍

What aspects of Gran Turismo will improve with the next generation of consoles, beyond the graphics? There is something that has never been possible to do so far and that future hardware will allow?
I still can't go into details, but it was hard to develop on PS3: you don't have enough memory to do whatever you want. Our goal has always been to preserve the feeling of Gran Turismo, but with the last chapter we faced limitations. With the PlayStation 4 we have much more memory: we can exploit it easily, inserting elements that we had to force or hold on PS3. There will be more graphics, more physical, more AI, more online.

From an interview a couple of months back. Interesting. Hard to tell for sure because of the translation. Could be just more AI parameters, or literally more AI cars on track

I'm pretty sure on PS4 this is a distinct possibility. GT4 had 6 cars. Then GT5 had as much as 16 cars. So keep your fingers crossed!

Certainly 24 as minimum on GT7, agree 32 should be target or the goal.

Depends on the track, however some of the longer tracks could probably handle even bigger fields and multiple classes.

Bonuses for fastest lap and most laps led.

For offline though larger fields and better A.I. would warrant longer races - what do you think?

I haven't properly counted the number of cars in the Sierra events. Its a step in the right direction though. Even GT4 allowed another 5 cars in practice mode. Plus, GT5 gave us 7 AI cars in practice one make races.

This is one of the reasons why this gen took a step back in racing games. TOCA was able to handle 21 on the PS2 with little to no sacrifices.

Thankfully Pcars is giving us a sign that Racing games will have more cars on track which in turn will show a sign of racing games evolving for once.

How did we ever put with 5 opponents for so long??!!
Because there was nothing really wrong with 5 opponents, particularly if they were challenging to keep pace with and overtake. We don't need more opponents as much as we need more challenging opponents. (Of course, there are exceptions, like endurance races where you will have time to slowly move up the field, and overtaking challenges where doing a lot of overtakes in a short time is the main point.)

Some (or many?) reviewers liken races in Gran Turismo to a rolling obstacle course. More cars, long rolling starts, and starting from last place only make this problem worse. Suppose you qualify near the start of the grid, or end up only a few places from the start after the first corner. Did you really need all those cars which are now behind you? I suppose they're good for spectacle and bragging rights, but from a game design perspective, and for making the game "fun", I don't see how they make any sense.

Back