More Variety in Online Racing.

• Thread starter xiimracing
  • 18 comments
Switzerland
Switzerland
Crealisiert
So here it is...

My idea on how to improve Variety in Online Racing (BOP/Sport Mode) inside of Gr.4, GR.3, Gr.2, Gr.1.

I think this is almost the only possible Solution to add more Variety to "Gr." races without getting rid of the "Gr." categorys which won't happen because PD is already way to deep into that "Gr." game design...

It's my very first time talking on a Video, which i also don't feel comfortable at all with, but it's the only way to totally describe ans visualize this idea...

I'm looking forward to what People think about this idea & really hope this reaches some People inside of the GT community or even better PD, because i think this could be a Game changer.

Enjoy & thank you for your time. 🙂

Watch Video

20231005_171233_0000.png

Last edited:
Unfortunately there has been a billion ideas on how to make Sport Mode better before this, and there will be a billion after. All valid, and all will improve it - but they won't listen to anything.

It is what it is. I got fed up of every week being a repeat of Gr3 and Gr4 so I seldom hop on it anymore - there are almost 400 other cars in the game I'd like to get use out of, rather than be there stuck racing the same 5.

If they could vastly improve the PP system, we could have PP limited races with no restriction on the car.

But we all know how easy it's to exploit the system...

Honestly it's fine nowadays. There's a few cars that are broken but the adjustments they have made have balanced it for the other 99%. It's a shame they haven't made use of it since.
They did get rid of the gear and suspension abuse, yes. It was a lot worse after launch :lol:

If only there was a way to restrict suspension type, as any changes made to the fully customizable kit doesn't affect PP, giving tuners an edge (which is fair, but I'm no tuner :crazy:)

Honestly it's fine nowadays. There's a few cars that are broken but the adjustments they have made have balanced it for the other 99%. It's a shame they haven't made use of it since.
Yes it really is better, BUT it doesnt change the fact that there are cars that dont belong to each others and cars that you basically can't use ever... Also my idea would still keep normal GR.3 as we know it with all cars and a BOP that stays the same... But on the other hand would also provide races with the sub-category (for example: Gr.3X GT500, GT1, GT3 up to 2012, so the lower downforce GT cars) that fit together and you basically cant drive at all...
It would split those 2 categorys into 9 different categorys whilst still also keeping the normal gr.3 races for example with normal bop... But then also a BOP for those sub-categorys (which would be way more competitive and easy to bop because of the same car style...

So basically you dont change anything, everything stays as it is and those sub categorys would be just an addition...

They need to subcategorise their groups- PD do this on a bespoke basis when they have daily races that are group 4 hot hatches or 90s jdm cars. They just need to follow it through so that it is an actual selectable category instead of wasting effort on one-off races they'll never use again

They need to subcategorise their groups- PD do this on a bespoke basis when they have daily races that are group 4 hot hatches or 90s jdm cars. They just need to follow it through so that it is an actual selectable category instead of wasting effort on one-off races they'll never use again
Exactly, because rarely sometimes they did something into this direction... I remember Gr.1 (only 2016: Toyota, Porsche, Audi + 2015 Nissan) at Fuji for example...

Exactly, because rarely sometimes they did something into this direction... I remember Gr.1 (only 2016: Toyota, Porsche, Audi + 2015 Nissan) at Fuji for example...

Despite the fact I completely agree with you in principle, those select races you're referring to soon ended up as one-make affairs with a very clear meta.

They would need to develop a very sophisticated on-the-fly BoP system to maintain interest in the outlier choices.

(NB: I haven't watched your video yet, so I'm sorry if my post is moot)

There's a few cars that are broken but the adjustments they have made have balanced it for the other 99%.
I dont agree here.
Just have a look at BoP enabled PP and see the difference: Gr3 ~680 to ~700 and they are supposed to be equally fast because BoP.
As long as PP doesnt match here, to me it still seems useless for balancing a cars performance.
And we do see vast differences in all kinds of races where the only limiting factor is PP, to such a degree that cars of the same PP can be lapped by others of the same PP (well yes, that happens IRL too) - by the same player driving for laptimes / total times

I dont agree here.
Just have a look at BoP enabled PP and see the difference: Gr3 ~680 to ~700 and they are supposed to be equally fast because BoP.
As long as PP doesnt match here, to me it still seems useless for balancing a cars performance.
And we do see vast differences in all kinds of races where the only limiting factor is PP, to such a degree that cars of the same PP can be lapped by others of the same PP (well yes, that happens IRL too) - by the same player driving for laptimes / total times

You’re only taking into account PP though, there is also tire wear, fuel consumption, and other factors that play into why all cars aren’t the exact same PP. Some car wear front tires, some cars wear back tires, some wear both, some use more or less fuel. The speed of the car is only one factor, and I believe it’s all taken into account for BoP. So one car may be faster over a single Qually lap, but it may also be slower over a race, because it needs more fuel, or uses more tire. PP isn’t the only factor in BoP, it’s much more complicated than most seem to think it is.

because it needs more fuel, or uses more tire.
I have thought about that if this could be the case, but I dont think it does. I dont give PD the credits to have figured it out when they have had other issues of balance with no other way to fix it then removing it completly ;)

I havent seen any sport mode race yet to make use of refueling, and tyrewear isnt so much different as that people would do vastly different strategies per car rather than either follow a certian "meta" of laps to change within. Though my experience is pretty much limited to watching occasionally and nothing first hand outside of Human Comedy Gr.3 races.
With that for my own observation, the Audis would need a much better standing as they currently are destroying their tyres faster than any other car (when I am driving), hats up to everyone who likes them, I simply cant make them work.

Last edited:
Yes it really is better, BUT it doesnt change the fact that there are cars that dont belong to each others and cars that you basically can't use ever... Also my idea would still keep normal GR.3 as we know it with all cars and a BOP that stays the same... But on the other hand would also provide races with the sub-category (for example: Gr.3X GT500, GT1, GT3 up to 2012, so the lower downforce GT cars) that fit together and you basically cant drive at all...
It would split those 2 categorys into 9 different categorys whilst still also keeping the normal gr.3 races for example with normal bop... But then also a BOP for those sub-categorys (which would be way more competitive and easy to bop because of the same car style...

So basically you dont change anything, everything stays as it is and those sub categorys would be just an addition...
At best that would be utilizing the model year (though that would break the fictional cars) or car tags (GT500, Le Mans, etc) filters, right? For their part, PD once held an American-only Gr.3 at Daytona and a Group C-only Gr.1 as a daily combo (there was also a 4WD-only Gr.4 race a while back), though most of these things use hardcoded "permitted cars" list.

An idea I have is for 90s Gr.3-only race; i.e. the shorttail F1 GTR, Supra GT500, and GT-R GT500. (This was part of the online GTWS season last year, but only for the 90s GT500 duo.)

Last edited:
At best that would be utilizing the model year (though that would break the fictional cars) or car tags (GT500, Le Mans, etc) filters, right? For their part, PD once held an American-only Gr.3 at Daytona and a Group C-only Gr.1 as a daily combo (there was also a 4WD-only Gr.4 race a while back), though most of these things use hardcoded "permitted cars" list.

An idea I have is for 90s Gr.3-only race; i.e. the shorttail F1 GTR, Supra GT500, and GT-R GT500. (This was part of the online GTWS season last year, but only for the 90s GT500 duo.)
That's kinda exactly what i talk about in the Video and the whole idea behind it...

Gr.3 for example:
Gr.3A = 2018 - 2023 GT3
Gr.3B = 2013 - 2017 GT3
Gr.3V = All Vision, Concept and GT created Gr.3 Cars
Gr.3X = Old GT500, GT1 gr.3 & up to 2012 GT3 (SLS GT3, Z4 GT3, M3 GT)

But that shouldnt mean getting rid of normal Gr.3 races (which would be impossible alone because of Manufacturers Cup) There still also would be Gr.3 races with ALL cars...

Week 1 Gr.3, Week 2 Gr.3B, Week 3 Gr.3X...
So even if there is 2-3 "Meta" cars in each of those categorys, you still would have a different race with different cars every week. (Also would make use of those cars you totally cant use)

Since there are 48cars with 30years difference in Gr.3 its way harder to BOP them all together than it would be to BOP those around 10 cars (that actually fit era and car wise together) in those subcategorys.... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
I have thought about that if this could be the case, but I dont think it does. I dont give PD the credits to have figured it out when they have had other issues of balance with no other way to fix it then removing it completly ;)

I havent seen any sport mode race yet to make use of refueling, and tyrewear isnt so much different as that people would do vastly different strategies per car rather than either follow a certian "meta" of laps to change within. Though my experience is pretty much limited to watching occasionally and nothing first hand outside of Human Comedy Gr.3 races.
With that for my own observation, the Audis would need a much better standing as they currently are destroying their tyres faster than any other car (when I am driving), hats up to everyone who likes them, I simply cant make them work.

Sport mode strats for race C aren’t usually all that complex. But the entire thing is aimed at the top end of competition, and the GTWS races, that are longer races, and fuel/tires definitely comes into play in those races.

Last edited:
I dont agree here.
I don't really see PP system as useless/unbalanced. Just finicky.

It's definitely possible to come in with the "wrong" setup/build for a track at while at the same PP as everyone else. Part of the reason may be that it doesn't simulate a lap on the track that the car is currently running in. You can have a car perform at, say, 730 PP at Spa, but 650 PP on Daytona because of downforce/drag - 720 PP at the Nordschleife and so on.

It's much better at getting a general idea of how fast the cars are going to be and needs to be used alongside tire/power/weight/drivetrain limits to help narrow the number of possible builds down. For comparing cars within the same class or downside range, it is useful.

There are more subtle differences as well that will limit how good or bad a car might be at certain tracks, like wheelbase length, track width(s), power/torque curve, weight and downforce distribution, hybrid power deploy, fuel efficiency, etc that you can't really calculate PP accurately with unless you know other details (such as the length of the race, weather, etc).

Including those would be asking too much of that system and is better suited for BOP.

Last edited:
I find it more funny that now there are like 20 comments here, talking and discussing the topic of Variety/BOP, but it seems no-one has actually watched the Video here which brought up this Thread...

Most of the questions, ideas and topics talked from others here would all be answered by my video... 😅

I have thought about this for a long long time, taking Manufacturers & Nations cup into my "calculations"... We can't and PD won't get rid of this System, but they can make changes inside of that System...

The opposite of what i think of the Penalty System: There the Problem is "the system" and no patching in this world can fix it, because the way the system is built up is the problem...

Back