more video's at IGN

• Thread starter Dave A
  • 14 comments
Nice vids, thanks for the link. Physics seem very good. Driving the smaller cars seems more challenging now.

But :(

Collision physics seem as bad as ever : touch an AI car and it doesn't move, let alone spin.

Wall riding seems inavoidable at Città d'Aria and the way to go fast there ...

Wall riding could grant you a nice 10 second speed limit at 50Kph now so you'd better make sure you avoid it.

It didn't do anything to get a penalty, you don't get one for bumping another car you get one for hitting one hard like if the slow for a corner and you don't and go right into them.

Theres another batch of vids there now of the Silvia if you want to check them out at the link at the top.

Man..the video of the Silvia at the Grand Canyon is amazing. The track itself looks super challenging with lots of sweeping corners and transitions. crazy.

When is he wall riding? He bumps a wall in a couple of vids but I can't recall seeing him wal riding. The penalties are there in GT4P, I've had few to try them out.

yes, I can also verify the speed penalty as well.....I got the joys of experiencing these speed penalties...which i think it's a great way to encourage development of skill

Originally posted by live4speed
When is he wall riding? He bumps a wall in a couple of vids but I can't recall seeing him wal riding. The penalties are there in GT4P, I've had few to try them out.
Sorry, I didn't check this thread before, so didn't see your question :

The "art" of racing is to go as close as possible to the limits, without going over them. The one who comes the closest to the limits, is better then all the others, but if he goes over the limit, the punishment is immediate and severe : he doesn't loose one place, but at least several places or even the possibility to continue.

Well, this logic is not followed in Gran Turismo, as going too fast (and over the limit so that you bump into a wall) is rewarding : most of the time you win time by doing so. :irked:

I find this very discouraging, it makes you drive in two ways : one is fast, but by bumping into walls, etc, the other is nice, following the exact line so that you don't touch anything.

Problem is that in the heat of the battle, you can easily get tempted to drive the "fast" way to win an extra second or place. But in reality this would be impossible.

It's done quite well, it could do with being a little harsher, cos you get away with one or two things you shouldn't, but nudging a wall isn't that severe and won't in 99% of cases make you go faster, riding a wall will, and for that expect a 10 second penalty.

Back