Most overpowered items in video games?

United States
The US of A
Whether it be cars, weapons, abilities, or certain items, I am sure as gamers we’ve encountered things before that were more powerful than expected and more so than they probably needed to be. So what are some examples you’ve seen of this?

In Pokemon, there’s the Master Ball, which catches anything without fail. Also, there’s Mewtwo, especially in games where it can mega-evolve. Something similar applies to Rayquaza. Arceus is also pretty nuts, basically being the closest thing Pokemon has to YHVH.

Then in Ace Combat 5 and Ace Combat Zero, I recall that the ADF-01 Falken being absurdly powerful, with its Tactical Laser System (TLS). Its prototype, the ADFX-01 Morgan, has these crazy burst missiles, too.

Finally, in Gran Turismo, there’s the Dodge SRT Tomahawk X Vision Gran Turismo. Do I need to explain this one?

Last edited:
Final Fantasy VIII gets trivialized fast by refining cards into valuable items.

Granted, you have to play the card game to win said valuable cards, but it's not super hard, depending on the card you want to get.

By using Quezacotl's Card ability to turn enemies into cards, you can get good stuff that way too. Enemies also drop cards.

The game also has an item that grants you invincibility. While it is a very rare item, and cannot be bought, it can be mugged from certain enemies, and then the item can be used to tank hard bosses.

The Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak Version in Gran Turismo 2.

Okay, I think anyone who's driven this car in the game can agree on this. This thing is an absolute monster with 981HP capable of reaching speeds of at least 248MPH. While it's a bit understeery, it handles very well and will stomp any AI car it ever encounters in the game. Now whether this is good or bad depends on who you talk to, but I for one think it is awesome, even if makes every race you ever do an easy one.

Truly a car worthy of being posted in this thread and one that brought bitter disappointment to 12-year-old me when I learned it was not nearly as fast in GT4 as it was here.

Last edited:
You ain't kidding. I swear it was even worse in that game than it was in GT4, but then again, it's been a long time since I played GT4 again so I could be wrong. I did play GT3 a ton last year though and that thing understeered to the point I hated driving it and the moment I got the GT-One Road Car, I can't recall touching it ever again.

The Spray n' Pray combat rifle in Fallout 4, which is a full automatic rifle with 100 explosive rounds per mag. You can shred through any and every enemy you encounter. Or alternatively if you're lucky since the legendary drops are completely random, an explosive combat shotgun will instantly break the game in your favor.

GTA Online: The BF Club in compacts. Easily the best choice in the class by a landslide, no reason not to pick it. Perhaps the most overpowered car in all of the regular classes.

Audi R10 TDI from Race Driver Grid springs to my mind. I think it reaches something like 400km/h down the Mulsanne? Nothing else competes.

Mimic Tear in Elden Ring is another; an AI helper that copies the player character and fights alongside players. Just having one as helper pretty much doubles your strength, and it can be breathtakingly broken if you let it be. It used to be so powerful that it was pretty much able to beat the entire game by itself. It's been toned down quite a bit since then, but it's still incredibly strong.

Last edited:
Too many games with noticeable mentions.

BG3 - Returning Pike (quite a few things, but this one is so early on, that is my vote for this game)

Fallout 1: The Gun (.330 pistol)
Fallout 2: Bozar
Fallout Tactics: Browning M2
Fallout 3: implants
Fallout New Vegas: shotgun shells with coins
Fallout 4: Doublebarreled shotgun with explosive shots perk

Ragnarok Online: Empty Bottle 🙄

Skyrim: Wheel of cheese 🙄

In terms of ingame lore: maybe Simon Belmonts whip? Dracula is so strong he basically can only ever lose intentionally ...

Cant really recall the most gamebreaking one, if it was based on this idea.

There were lots of OP guns in Borderlands 2, but my favourite that was neither legendary nor unique was the plasma caster. I seem to recall a few manufacturers had them, maybe they all did, but Salvador with two Hyperion plasma casters, one slag and one whatever other element you wanted, and the perk to instantly reload would become a fully automatic sniper laying waste to most things. I used so many gold keys trying to snag pairs of the things and ended up keeping almost every single one I ever got, I remember having a pair for every level from 50 to 61 back before the level cap was increased to 72.

Ray Gun in older COD Zombies
Yeah that's the one weapon I think every player loved to get in the older games. Too bad it became less useful in Black Ops III simply because better weapons existed and double Pack-A-Punch gave them neat abilities the Ray Gun simply cannot have. (normally anyhow)

Back