Mostly all my dirty secrets

• Thread starter BlueShift
  • 29 comments
France
Paris
BlueShift
This wall of text belong originally to the spring formula thread, but after a power failure here and getting the text back (yay forum 2.0 !), I "wasn't allowed" to post in it anymore. I don't know where the thread is gone. Anyway.

The exact formula for springs is broken in two :
Low speed : total weight x weight ratio /100 = spring rate x ride height.
High speed : total weight x weight ratio /100 + dynamics = spring rate x ride height.

This is just minimal values though, so your car don't hit the ride cruising at high speed or cruising at low speed.
You have to take into account weigth transfer and how the dampers figths it.

I just (re)understood yesterday why my moto is comp > ext on high aero cars.

Here's my step-by-step method for the suspension. This works with MR mostly, and sometimes FR. You can takes some elements for 4WD, and FF/RR have laws on their own that I don't completly understand, esp high pp FF.

* Say a basic, neutral and pure fantasy car have 1000kg 40:60, front aero is at max 200, rear is at max 400, and you're tuning it not for top speed or performance but for precision/control.

400kg front, 600kg in rear at low speed
+ dynamics at high speed is = 600kg front, 1000kg rear.

Usually I'm trying to put it at 60/60mm (no sparks on most tracks, if not any, but beware of bumpers).
Let's take 100mm for the example so the calculation is made easy.

100mm mean 4kg / 6kg at low speed and 6kg / 10kg at high speed.

Let's look about the geometry front /rear.
4 / 6 follows 40 : 60, of course.
6 / 10 does not, conclusion, there will be a weigth translation "problem" from high speed to low speed, which you can control depending on the car.

=> aero could follow the weigth distribution aswell for very smooth/no translation from high speed to low speed.
For a neutral braking car, 40 : 60 means aero should be set here @ 200/300.

But, you still could use it at your advantage if you don't do this.
- Aero @ 200/400 will make the car transfer more and more of weigth the longer your brake. You gain rear grip while braking. Your brakes can be set @ 1/2, 2/4, 3/6, 4/8 or 5/10 there, the car will gain understeer while braking (which is good for oversteering cars).
- 200/300 will be indifferent and is imho the best results for braking, especially if you use 2/3 brakes settings or 4/6 or 6/9 because the wind will actually fully help the car to stop it at whatever speed you are.
- 200/200 will make the car transfer all the weigth at high speed allready (don't do this unless your car is glued to the road and the decel lsd never locks). You will gain top speed but will tail chasing in the curves. Good setting for drifting imho. Equilibrated brakes will work the best, maybe one click less in front because of the car's 40:60.

Now that's not taking weigth transfer in to account. Brake should take this into account too. But here's your base brakes. You migth want one click or more in front, depending if you lock the LSD, have sliping tires or not.

Let's choose arbitrary 200/300 for the aero. Say you like the handling the most there, or something.
That way : 4 / 6kg at low speed and 6 / 9 at high speed. So you want at least 6/9 so your car never hit the ride at top speed.

Next step : kinetic energy is 0.5 * weigth * v². The car will dissipate all this energy on the front tires.

If you take 6kg/mm / 9kg/mm, you will have front spring that will absorb 600kg at braking, or 60% of the initial mass in front. I usually take 100%, then I'll remove some weigth by testing (until 60%-70-75%, depends of the PP : less PP = 60%, more PP = 100%).

@100mm, I would start to test that car with 10kg front, and 15kg rear (9kg * (10 front high sp/6 front low sp)).

Next step is dampers. Here's the very personal and feeling based theory part.

10kg front @100mm "would" mean each unit of front damper is those 1000kg / 10 (10 = max damper setting), mean each front click is 100kg.
15kg @100mm mean aswell each unit of rear click damper is 150kg.

Braking phase : front comp and rear ext.
Coasting phase : depends greatly about aero. We used 200/300 so it's easy : 2 front ext should be equal to 3 rear ext and 2 front comp should be equal to 3 rear comp. So we are aiming for a classic 4/6 - 2/3 now where to put this, comp or ext ?
Accel phase : front ext and rear comp.

Braking phase will show the most things.
If we use
Comp 4 / 6
Ext 2 / 3
We will have 4 (front comp) that will work with a 3 (rear ext).
In kg we mean front damper can absorb 4 * 100 = 400kg that will given by 3*150 = 450kg. Got 50kg more there that will be given to the tires... Meaning understeer.

If we use
Comp 2 / 3
Ext 4 / 6
We will have 2 (front comp) that will work with a 6 (rear ext).
In kg we mean front damper can absorb 200kg that will given by 6*150 = 900kg. Got 700kg on top of the 400kg that goes I think to the tires... Meaning understeer too, but a lot more. At least one tire will slip for sure and decel LSD will surely lock. Now notice it's not bad, since you can support allready 1000kg in front. Just add +10% to the spring and use RS.
All you did is making your LSD tuning a capital part of your tune.

Now the fun part : at high speed the comp will dissipate exactlly your front aero parts, since the gap is 2. Guess what, you don't loose control.
2 * 100 front = 200, 3 * 150 rear = 450. If you want a little more glue, you could have a 1 gap by +1 both ext.
4/6 - 3/4. That mean you'll have a very stable comp < ext feeling at high speed (the wind pushe 2 unit of comp front and 2.33 in rear - acts as 2/4 - 3/4) to a more effective ext < comp feeling at low speed because the comp cease to act (4/6 - 3/4).

Magic trick I re-discovered yesterday on the 908 :) The wind. This will glue your car at high speed this way AND unglue it at low speed under very controlable condition. But it is still giving you good results for braking.

And it makes sense ! The wind always press the car, so you need comp a little higher than usual to find an equilibrium somewhere between ext and comp.
Here : the wind will press the car as if you were having 2 / 4 comp and 2 / 3 ext.
At low speed, you still have a powerfull braking of 4 front comp for 3 ext.

If ext > comp with the wind lowering again the comp, you'll hit the damper stop and everything goes to springs giving this to the tires, LSD lock and boom lost of control.
Here you'll have comp @ high speed act as if set at 0 / 1 with 4 / 6 ext.

I migth be perfectly wrong there ! But that shows (very) good results on the 908. That doesn't cure the car, it improves braking and coasting only. Now I'm not sure the 908 is sick allready !:)

There's my very classic dampers collection :
Comp 4 / 6
Ext 3 / 4

Since we will work at front comp 4 / rear ext 4 for the braking part, the suspension will now give you only 200kg on front tires (meaning LSD initial/decel tune).
You can also work at 6/4 - all the kg from the suspension just doesn't exist, but then (remember the coasting phase, you'll need 2xrear comp = 3 front comp) :
Comp 6 / 9
Ext 3 / 4 -> will induce oversteer by low rear ext that you can also cure with LSD if the transmission is at the rear.

Damper rendering (for smoother transistion from braking to coasting and coasting to accel, this is where your LSD locks).
Front Comp 6 divided Ext 3 is = 2
Rear Comp 9 / Ext 4 is a little more than 2, aka not the same as front's - will introduce under/oversteer (from tail, but don't really know without testing. I'd say oversteer but I don't remember) - this is, i think, controlable by LSD, esp initial and accel. Decel LSD will control the liberty you have while braking, initial will control your coasting transition.

I fine-test it like this : stop braking to coast if no little moves then initial and deecl are ok. Same with accel from coasting to accel. My best curve for this is the one before the tunnel at high speed ring.

Anyway. Since front comp gives you 600kg and rear ext gives you also 600kg, you just don't need to touch the brake setting you had before.

Less personal
Antiroll bars will help you figthing the oversteer/understeer in braking. From the comp > ext setting, we got 6 front comp to 4 rear ext. Gap is 2, I'd use 2 aswell. Why ? Just well, okay, this is a theory again. Just do it. If it don't work, move one by one, test, undo, move the other one and decide.
We'll use a basic 5/3, or 6/4 and see how this works. I would choose 5/3 always first. But the natural tendency of the car is 4/4 (remember again 40:60 and 100kg per clic fron, 150kg per clic rear). So this is at the expense of coasting speed.

Camber is very easy. Since we got everytimes 40:60 weigth from rear to front, by not taking the braking into account, we could use say 0.8 / 1.2 or 1.2 / 1.8.
Then we change front camber depending on the antiroll bar. Yup.
Say we used 5/3 and 0.8/1.2, then we move the camber from 0.8/1.2 which is ideal in the coasting phase to somewhere at 0.8 * 5 / 3 = 1.3333 (or 1.3) and still 1.2 rear. Adjust front camber from 0.8 to 1.3 by testing. I usually take 1.3 to help turning if remaining understeer exists.

You shouldn't need toe if everything is done rigth. Toe should be your last joker card if everything you tried failed. Toe is quite a big problem and have big influence on LSD, since your tires will slip whatever you do and have an impact on the accel/decel inputs. Toe = less decel /accel sensitivity and a very good care of initial you put in. Anyway sometimes it's good. But remember, +/- 0.05 = redo your LSD.

Then, LSD, always finetuning at last unless you exactly know what to do. Every single setting on the car have LSD dependancies. So tune it when you're 100% sure of the other parts.
Everything have been told about it, just apply what you learned from the other threads, or just ignore it and use stock one. Sometimes it works better than the full custom (it worked better in GT5 for a very few cars, esp Lancer Evo V and more). And it's a good idea to see what are the car's man susp problems before messing around with the arbitrary 10/40/20 setup GT6 gives to most cars.

Note that this method will help you having a very good braking car, and a good coasting car or the opposite.
Accel results would be very car dependent. And you never tried to improve or cure base driving of the car. What you did is maxing the braking and the coasting. Tuning is almost always at the expense of something else. eg here maybe you maxed something, but the car was sick of something else. All you did is put more PP and maybe increase her sickness.

You cure accel phase with changing the rear comp so every calculation you make migth be messed up too.
Also, the transmission. Don't forget where you transmission is. These will be working for FR or MR. RR are a lot more difficult, you gonna use toe, and sometimes having way bigger ride heigth in front to cure the oversteer (115 / 90mm on my GT5 E-Type).
4WD's LSD are really critical and FF always have rear grip sicknesses (too much rear grip braking, not much at accel or the opposite at high PP is very frequent).

That is where you, as a tuner, can make a difference, because all you can do is drive and feel the tires and the road.

And don't forget the golden mother of every rules :
Everytime a calculation gave you a number, take it as an indication, not for a rule. Each car have her very particular sicknesses (maybe but Group C, F1 or things like that) and applying a "cure" for a sickness she don't have migth give you very bad results instead of curing her. e.g Corollary : You need to drive and test, and drive again, until you found what the car needs. The numbers will give you indication but if it feel wrong, each number would have to be reconsidered. The only numbers you can somehow trust are the minimum springs that are in front of this wall of text.

Now what if you took 200/400 aero ? :) :) :) I "feel" this but still can't explain it.
A dragging 908 (50:50) is excellent at 300/540. Really crap at 300/500 and really crap at 300/600 (and really really crap at 500/500). Wind harmonics on road X straigth line at 420 km/h for all low aero setup different than 300 / 500 or 600.
Good at 540, again, there's a maximum there to be found, so the 200 / 300 have to be reconsidered aswell.
I'm having very good results with some formulas like sin(front) / sin(rear) = gold number (=0.618...) on the 908 (giving that 300/540) but still have to solidify this, I'm not sure it's the car geometry or not. And it makes the aero unit be 0.1°, so have to solidify this because it's not compatible with the spring formula.

Also, some car still have "oldschool" rear aero, like the NSX, when you buy it you gain rear aero 5/20. It's 50/200 for the other cars. If no front aero, those car benefits the most of 12 in the rear.

I'd say the "best" aero setup is 200 front then 200 + 60% of 300 = 380. Then the 908 tewt came, then all my theory falls apart. So... Test your car until my "feel" the wind. :)

The proof to all those theory on aerodynamics ??? Oh look at the bird through the window !
*runs away*

Seriously, this one last part may only be some serious belief of mine.

edit - Oh, and I can't tune a gearbox because of a lot of things. First, it's track dependend (as the turbo stage you'll use), I have autoset for this and sometimes only 5 gears on tracks just because of the topology (Trial Mountain, I'm looking at you, you made me lost a tuning challenge with this damn it !!).

Another under-estimated thing is the powerband of the turbo you use. Look the descriptions.
So if you have to use the powerband limiter to be able to enter an event, use it, but before put an appriopriate turbo on the track you aim. You can get less turbo lag.

Last secret, is about LSD and clutch. Some of you guys just ignore this but have the stock clutch makes sometimes like if having 5 less points of initial, and -2 on accel and really better braking because the motor got a lot of inertia. I'm looking at you, Yellowbird. And you, NSX. And you E-Type. You see what I mean ?

Everything else I know is about 4DW. I'll make a topic on LSD of these. Other believes there for the front / rear transmission settings.

edit again - oh and ballast. I'd rather use toe than ballasts. There's only two cars I know to need ballast, it's the GT40 and maybe the yellowbird. And I'm not even sure for the tuning everest that is a fully PPed Yellowbird... It's the most quick and dirty setting you can make if you want my opinion...

Last edited:
By the way, I know, I tell a lots of complicated things using a lot of engrish words. This is very technical and difficult to say in english. Just edited the topic to clarify some things and maybe I'll come back later to re-organize things.

I was tired to discover how a car works in GT games because I "forgot" this from GT to GT and having to re-discover everytime makes me post crap tunes for the few first (like the "crêpes" in french, we say the first one is always failed :) have to redo some things about the ZZ2...), so I'll put all my "beliefs", rigths or wrongs, there.

I'll use this as a reminder for GT7 to make fun of myself when I'll be older :)

Thank you for reading all that wall of text. I have no problem with people agreeing/disagreeing as usual so tell me your though.

Next post would be about 4WD LSD I think, but I need a few hours a testing before, because I remember using the LSD to get the car back in line on those cars =)

And I've some other car to tune etc so don't wait for that post until one or two week minimum.

I'm actually doing some drag tune for the 908 on IA Like the wind 3 (re-learning to drag tune cause I never actually did that much), my current speed record is 489 or 490 km/h.
The new aerodynamic engine is fascinating and maybe the best addition to the driving in the serie !

Last edited:
Next post would be about 4WD LSD I think, but I need a few hours a testing before, because I remember using the LSD to get the car back in line on those cars =)

4WD LSD tuning still confuses me and I have spent hours upon hours testing. I have a workable method, but I still think there is a faster way out there. Some bright mind will solve this.

I will read the wall of text this week. I always like to see what others have discovered. Thanks for posting.

My GT5 Veyron was done on high speed ring (maybe 600km or 800km on this track alone). The two curves just before the tunnel are great to see if you tail chasing or nose chasing once you get the total habit of a suspension you use :)

Something else, in GT5, there is parallel lines in these curves. You've got a way using replays, if front tire is inside the curve, switch view, check your accel indicator and adjust LSD using this hint + what you feel. Coasting speed is a good way to set initial in the last curve (I think you use decel, there I finetune mostly my initial because I personnaly think the initial governs also the engine brake). No proofs though, that's another feeling i have.

On high pp cars in last curve, 310km mean good coasting. 330 mean top of top coasting.

In GT6 I think it will be harder because tires slipping aren't "RED ALARM RED ALARM" be flashing...

Anyway, on 4WD, on top of wanting a better LSD, you need also to find for what : you can acheive good braking, coasting and corner exit, then choose one of these that would be excellent.

Thanks for taking the credit for my findings.
If we find the same things, I'm glad to see someone thinks like me about tuning...
Nobody found what I've found on 4WD LSD (yet).

The only thing I didn't find by myself is clutching : Budious finded it in 2011, confirm/tested by me and nobody beleived us atm.

For your link I can't understand why people make pay users without explaining them the things. That's a real shame imho. And autosetups are crap anyway. Everycar would have the same setup. I think $5/week for this is a scam.

Last edited:
I do hope you're not involved in that scam.

Click on it to go to Paypal payment page, it's his own :)

If we find the same things, I'm glad to see someone thinks like me about tuning...
Nobody found what I've found on 4WD LSD (yet).

The only thing I didn't find by myself is clutching : Budious finded it in 2011, confirm/tested by me and nobody beleived us atm.

For your link I can't understand why people make pay users without explaining them the things. That's a real shame imho. And autosetups are crap anyway. Everycar would have the same setup. I think $5/week for this is a scam.

I have my own way to replicate real life LSD as well, the Bee R R32 GTR replica linked on my sig is a good example of 4wd LSD :)

Ok, so the guy was ranting because I told what's under the hood of his busisness :)

Funny. I'm under the impression that we'll soon see some new updates, lol.

Ok, so the guy was ranting because I told what's under the hood of his busisness :)

Funny. I'm under the impression that we'll soon see some new updates, lol.

Actually, I rated because your post was pretty much a carbon copy of mine...the same post where you said my system was baloney. If you can pretend to be me, then I can pretend to be someone else.

And yes, it's my site. I worked pretty hard on it. I took the time to make it easier so that anyone using it would save time. I'm between jobs right now and any extra cash would go a long way.

Actually, I rated because your post was pretty much a carbon copy of mine...the same post where you said my system was baloney. If you can pretend to be me, then I can pretend to be someone else.
What ? Unless that was in Dec 2010-Jan-Fev-2011, where I forgot everything i told, I post about GT only since christmas.
In GT4 i wasn't on the site and used another nick which i can't remember and in GT1-2-3 I had no internet.

And yes, it's my site. I worked pretty hard on it. I took the time to make it easier so that anyone using it would save time. I'm between jobs right now and any extra cash would go a long way.
Well, you know, I had the idea of creating a tool back in GT4. I though that would work. Everybody said it wouldn't, I quit my GT4 community ranting on everybody (especially some guy named RacerX that was a better tuner than me :) and I was frustrated by my results in some tuning competition, always #2 or 3). GTplanet, I think was just created, but was just a reader there.
Then I played alone, testing and testing lots of things. Conclusion you couldn't make a tool. You could have average results at the most.

There's too much informations you need to make an automation at all. First, size of the tires. Car geometry. Aerodynamic model (yet to find a method about this, unless the 12° trick which was just proven by science a few years ago). What trully dampers do. LSD for which everyone and his cousin have a different theory (my model is the two mains, "official" and "inverted" btw, and BOTH works because people forget locking speed, unlocking speed and what controls it)

You'll make a tool that will give quite random results : some will be somehow good and some would destroy a car. Better roll a dice imho. If you can make pay people about the dices you roll for them, that's good for you.

Last edited:
lol who is stupid enough to pay for that? (forgets that the world is full of idiots)

I thought the same at first. Then, I saw how much time folks were saving with it and the term "I'd pay for that" came up more than once. So now...

If you'd like it for free, I'll send the direct link your way. Just message me.

I thought the same at first. Then, I saw how much time folks were saving with it and the term "I'd pay for that" came up more than once. So now...

If you'd like it for free, I'll send the direct link your way. Just message me.
Please, give me a link where I said your "system was baloney", because I don't even know what baloney means in english... I will tell you if it's me or not, I have no problems with that. Notice that I grew up if it's a post I made in 2005, 2011 or something :)

You're an old player on GTPlanet, maybe that was at the moment GTplanet was created (back in GT4, I guess), but at that time my nick wasn't blueshift, this nick comes from 2009 I think and is a reference to ligth doppler effect, when ligth come to you. My nick on PC games is redshift btw (opposte phenomenon).

Notice the avatar I use is an image from an avatar of someone else used in GT4 I think. I robbed it to someone. "Nice tunes for nice persons" I'm not sure about it but maybe, too (I'm thinking of a change for this ad :))

Last edited:
Oh I SEE ! This is the guy with the original spring force formula thread ! Ok !
Ah, that was so super secret that I used this back in GT5, when you didn't have true RH... I used RH data from GT4. RH x Spring force always gave results too.
I think in GT1 and GT3 it was the same RH system as in GT5.

Voodoovaj, do you claim to be the one that found that back in GT2 ? Come on...

If you take 6kg/mm / 9kg/mm, you will have front spring that will absorb 600kg at braking, or 60% of the initial mass in front. I usually take 100%, then I'll remove some weigth by testing (until 60%-70-75%, depends of the PP : less PP = 60%, more PP = 100%).

@100mm, I would start to test that car with 10kg front, and 15kg rear (9kg * (10 front high sp/6 front low sp)).

I am trying to understand how/why you went from 6/9 to 10/15 and I can't figure it out.

I am trying to understand how/why you went from 6/9 to 10/15 and I can't figure it out.
6/9 is only a minimum, by the high speed formula. Not sure about the aero term part btw. I think it may be something related to the sinus of the considered aero on MOST cars, but not all. (sin x = x - x3/3! + x5/5! -..., the problem is its for x in radian if i remember well my maths)

Then, you have the weigth transfert + kinetic energy.

When you brakes, a 50:50 will become 65:35, or something like this, turning ang braking makes the front inside going to 80%, front outside to 60% usefull information to seek to find your front damper gap aswell (both damper works at turn in).

So I'm starting with front at 100% : 10kg @ 100mm.
To follow 6 / 9, the 9 becomes a 15.

Then I try the car, if ok it stays 10/15, if not I remove same %. Say I think its 10% too hard, I remove 10% front & 10% rear to go to 9/13.5, etc.

I usually set the dampers and spring stiff at the same moment, test the car half a lap, then a very basic lsd so it can be +4 accel, test, then this little damper here with -2 initial, test then -3% on springs, etc.

Until you know what you do, I d recommend changing only one thing, then testing.

3 different changes at the same time is for me a maximum. I never move the aero without changing the springs (it is tedious).

Aero / RH / springs at always the first gross setup I try to set the first, then a very basic LSD and dampers, then I do second pass, third pass etc until I'm happy (most of the time its 20 pass but with this my driving can change to adapt the car's problems too like for exemple what I did on my unfinished scuderia which I won't consider ready until I drive other cars and get bakck on it. For this, maybe there's problems about my posted zz2 aswell. So it's another danger).

For this, setuping 3 different cars at the same time is good imho.

edit - removed some stupid french phone auto-correction typos :) + adding few things about how i setup just the § before.

Last edited:
You'll make a tool that will give quite random results : some will be somehow good and some would destroy a car. Better roll a dice imho. If you can make pay people about the dices you roll for them, that's good for you.

I disagree on that point. You can make a tool and you can make it easy.

Try it out. The free link is in my signature. It'll speak for itself.

I have tried both your tunes in gt5, blue I tried yours in the beginning and voodoo I used many of yours from the WRS series, very fast voodoo. Ty both. Have been following this thread and I am glad to have the chance to try This app for free. I believe this gesture From voodoo speaks volumes of his character. As soon I leave the hospital, hopefully in a few days, this will be on the to do list.

Hi BlueShift,

I have been trying to get to grips with tuning myself here on GT6 and have been reading a lot of the tuning guides here on GTP and I have found this thread to be most useful. I think that although it looks complicated in written form in your O.P it was remarkably simple to follow and will save me a huge amount of time and laps.

I have found however that some of the spring rates in the game won't allow the values I calculate to be entered into the settings sheets but keeping the same ratio between the front and rear springs and just stiffening them in harmony until both values can be put in seems to work out just nice. Having said that, once these are in place finding the correct damper settings and brake balance to suit the car are so much easier now:tup:

I see from the posts above that there is a little bit of friction about who came up with this "Spring Rate Formula" and would like to take the opportunity to say, I believe I did find this initially on this forum from from a post from @Voodoovaj, however in that post I recall no mention about the relationship between the springs, dampers, brakes and aerodynamics with regards to the weight transfer of the car. And understanding this relationship and how to adjust the settings accordingly has made a huge difference to my tunes.

For that the credit all goes to you in my opinion!

Thanks for sharing this information:cheers: Excellent work!

4WD LSD tuning still confuses me and I have spent hours upon hours testing. I have a workable method, but I still think there is a faster way out there. Some bright mind will solve this.

I will read the wall of text this week. I always like to see what others have discovered. Thanks for posting.
The best way i've found for dealing with 4WD LSD systems is to treat it as two separate cars. Set the front diff like a FWD car (lots of Initial + Acc + minimum Dec) and then set the rear diff like a RWD car (more balanced Initial/Acc/Dec). You can generally set it quite high all round because losing grip is rarely a problem, you've just got to be careful of making the car difficult to rotate on corner entry. If you have fitted a variable centre differential, it is important to set this first. Generally for track use a 30/70 split is a good place to start but I usually keep going until the back starts stepping out, I then reduce the split until I feel maximum grip/manoeuvrability is achieved

The best way i've found for dealing with 4WD LSD systems is to treat it as two separate cars. Set the front diff like a FWD car (lots of Initial + Acc + minimum Dec) and then set the rear diff like a RWD car (more balanced Initial/Acc/Dec). You can generally set it quite high all round because losing grip is rarely a problem, you've just got to be careful of making the car difficult to rotate on corner entry. If you have fitted a variable centre differential, it is important to set this first. Generally for track use a 30/70 split is a good place to start but I usually keep going until the back starts stepping out, I then reduce the split until I feel maximum grip/manoeuvrability is achieved
Now, LSD wall of text :P (sorry)

I'm leaning to that aswell, with a few amendements.

Intial torque F/R should follow the Torque distribution ratio.

Meaning :
Say a car can produce 1000 "units of torque".

Set at 30/70 mean 300 max will be given to front, 700 max to rear.

Now you're gently throttling at 60/140 then suddenly give max torque to the wheel. The initial will first prevent lock under a given % of this torque. So if it follows an inverted 30%/70% distribution, to me the same power start to be corrected at the same time to both wheels.

Let's see what you get with a numeric exemple :
21/9 for 30% front 70% rear (21/9 is 70/30)
=> mean 21% of front torque will be ignored and 9% rear will be ignored, then from higher than 22% front and/or 10% rear to the wheels, the LSD could lock (depending on sensitivities) and the initial will be used to distribute that amount of torque between the wheel.

Meaning :
You sudddenly give 300/700 to the wheels -> x 21% / 9% = preload is 63 / 63, and corrections will be "quantums" of "63 units of torque".

Same quantum / same quantum mean, about sensitivities (for a 50:50 car) :
- If front and rear accel are the same, it will be usefull to correct a behaviour in the apex, when front and rear tires are loaded the same.
- If front > rear it will lock when the front is loaded ie at decel => therefor front decel should be < rear decel so it lock at the same time.
- If front < rear it will lock when the rear is loaded ie at accel => therefor front accel should be > rear accel so it lock at the same time.

I think I'm like everyone on the subject there : I'm still struggling to find a correct balance for front / rear accel and front / rear decel settings.
But I know initials should follow inverted torque distribution "almost" for sure. If you don't you can also use the new balance you found to make the car steer better =>

For front = rear sensitivities, in a easy apex situation, 50:50 car :
- Less front initial / more rear initial compared to the inverted transmission settings (in our exemple something like 20/9) would mean your car will be more sensitive from front than behind because the front LSD can start before the rear. The LSD will be like the one of a FF in a first correction phase, then act like a 4WD.
- More front initial / less rear initial compared to the inverted transmission settings (in our exemple something like (21/8) would mean your car will be more sensitive from front than behind because the front LSD can start before the rear. The LSD will be like the one of a xR in a first correction phase, then act like a 4WD.

Now notice this is changed depending on your sensitivities. If you set front accel very sensitive compared to rear, the front would start first depending on your "sensitivity - initial" (I think).

---

Now about LSD I made a very strange discovery the other day. I'm quasi-sure initial units and sensitivity units can be compared now. I think 1 unit of initial can be compared to 1 unit of sensitivity.
Anyway, here's the strange thing, it involves the golden number.

This a very usefull for slipping machines, like the yellowbird, really beefed classic muscle cars or that kind of car. Those car that want to drift a lot.
Ok.

First most of us know that initial is the ammount of correction, and sensitivities the moment they start. What I told about 4WD is if you want to even delay a x/5/5 car LSD lock, you want to go to 60/5/5 because you can load 60% of your torque before the LSD will try to use sensitivity to lock up.
But when the LSD locks (and it will eg at corner entry or exit, or in S turns) your car will go dance the Blue Danube erraticly.

But, I found a way around...

My theory about quantum LSD says the LSD coorect by ammount of initial.
Let's take an exemple.

Your car is set 10 / 40 / x. At accel, the car will ignore < 10% of torque then ignore up to 100-40 = 60% difference between torque to wheels then kick of. Then it corrects, by quantums => first phase is 10/30/x then 10/20/x then 10/10/x then 10/0/x so it correct in 4 loops.

So first "old" discovery (and it's tested since GT5, that works very accuratly), if you can still consider high accel make quick locking LSD, if accel (or decel) / inital is a round number, it makes quick unlocking LSD if that number is small. If you want a LSD to unlock faster you need high initial but you want to compare the cotrrection to your locking factor.

New discovery is that strange one. 10/40/x will never correct "roundly", because in this 4 loops, lots of variables changed.
If you go with high initial, say 20/40, there is two loops.
Either the variables didn't change and your handling goes perfect, either not and you spin around because you just had :
20/40 first phase goes to 20/20, then variable updates (like weigth transfert which is the main one) and your torque is not the same as before because of the weigth balance changes. Say your balance between sliping tire and unslipping is now corrected by the LSD momentum to 20/17 -> the tire is still slipping and the LSD still lock => what you will have after second loop is 20/-3 ---> that mean a change of direction in slipping. Here's the snap effect at LSD unlock ! This little -3 mean a little snap.

Now if you drive like a bull (ie when everybody drives a Yellowbird...), you will push more accel in it because, well, corner exit, you know, 100% gaz.
-> 20/-8 become soon 20/-28 then 20/-48 and blam LSD lock the other way. That's what happen in S turns when you initial is too high, your car starting to dance the macarena left-rigth-left-rigth-left-left-oh-****-wall.

But the way around is the human driving the machine. :)
We all have the golden number in our genetics, in our reflexes. The faster reflex we have is the eye, and the eye knows the golden number very well.

So. Let's use now 20 and Xx20 for accel plus golden number (0.61%) of initial = 12,2 so 12 (or 13 sometimes depending of the car).
20/12, 20/32 or 20/52 will do.

Let's look at phases : in a perfect conditions, your LSD will unlock at 20/-8. The amount of correction can be compared to the -8 snap, your reflex will correct this very quickly. You will have a snap in most cases, yes, but it will be predictable a lot more than a random one. You will be learning to alway correct the snap with a golden ratio, which is the faster reflex you have, then adapt.

That work the same for decel, but snaping is called lift-of turn in or something. If you want a "beautifull" lift-of turn in, use this.

If you want to drift, try this, this is very effective and easy to correct. I almost want a wheel just to proof that you have to countersteer 61% the other way !

So for the extreme exemple I used (too much extreme though) 60/5/5 is "round unlocking, let's use your luck", but something like 58/5/5 would do, 57/5/5 or 59/5/5 won't, and that's very strange, I'm still investigating around this effect.

Fibonacci numbers will give you best results.
Fibonacci numbers is 0, 1
Then next number is 0+1 = 1
Then next number is 1+1 = 2
Then next number is 1+2 = 3
Then next number is 2+3 = 5
Then next number is 3+5 = 8, you get the idea.

Now if you take two consecutive numbers in the list, their ratio will give you an approximation of the golden number : 5/8 is a good approximation, but 8/13 is even better.

These numbers can give good numbers to use for initials.

I'm now less sure of the "gold LSD" ie there's one number and one only, not +1, not -1. I'm leaning to gold ratio instead of this. ie if x/y/z is good 2x/f(2x)/g(2x) should be good too and with those golden number considerations, I just gave my current f(x) and g(x) for MR, RR and FR cars.... until I change my mind ^^

Last edited:
I think that although it looks complicated in written form in your O.P
Baguette ! Croissants ! :D :D :D

Just a small note, I don't remember if I told this here but I now consider the fuel in the front:rear ratio. That works even better.

I have a lot more precision on this model now than when I wrote it. I would write a second post about this, but all is in S.Q.A.T. allready. The most important problem is RH is not spring course so if you've got different front and rear spring course (ie strange cars like the vertigo maybe, or the catterham, etc) this won't work at all.

The SR/RH theory works when the 4 suspension devices have the same spring course.

Last edited:
Baguette ! Croissants ! :D :D :D

Just a small note, I don't remember if I told this here but I now consider the fuel in the front:rear ratio. That works even better.

I have a lot more precision on this model now than when I wrote it. I would write a second post about this, but all is in S.Q.A.T. allready
I'm sure you're right, unfortunately all that maths and science makes my eyes glaze over lol I'm sure this is of great use to the right people but personally I just tune by the feel of a car and how it affects my lap times.
I would love to see a shortened/simplified version of this theory just so I could get my head around it a little better

Bump for an excellent thread! Maybe we can combine it with the general tuning guide and make some sort of communal tuning guide sticky?

Back