Motion Steering thoughts

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
jamiemb17
As an avid user of motion control steering in Sport, I switched straight to that mode as I did Music Rally waiting for the game to install. Unfortunately I immediately got the impression that it is extremely twitchy, with very little steering angle being required to turn, and this was putting my car off-balance very easily. I went back to left-stick steering for comparison, and I was amazed at how smooth left-stick steering is in this game - it's like butter under my thumb compared to motion control. I changed steering sensitivity between -2 and +7 in the settings and noticed no difference in motion steering twitchiness. Has anyone else tried motion control and have any thoughts?

On a PS4 and DS4 the motion steering is way too twitchy no matter where I set the sensitivity. You can see it in the cockpit view. It's going lock to lock with very little effort. Anyone else notice the difference compared to GT Sport?

As an avid user of motion control steering in Sport, I switched straight to that mode as I did Music Rally waiting for the game to install. Unfortunately I immediately got the impression that it is extremely twitchy, with very little steering angle being required to turn, and this was putting my car off-balance very easily. I went back to left-stick steering for comparison, and I was amazed at how smooth left-stick steering is in this game - it's like butter under my thumb compared to motion control. I changed steering sensitivity between -2 and +7 in the settings and noticed no difference in motion steering twitchiness. Has anyone else tried motion control and have any thoughts?
Same sentiments here.

And the fact that RWD cars can snap into oversteer even at full speed (including those with adjustable downforce) makes the experience stressful.

Here I am, using TCS only at 1.

My experience in GT Sport is that changes to steering sensitivity don't usually come into effect immediately after they have been made. Chances are if you try an event a couple of times after making the change, by which time it is autosaved, you will notice the difference by the second attempt. The other piece of advice I can give is to learn not to be too aggressive when tilting the controller as some cars may not respond well to sharper, more sudden inputs.

From the start, I've had very few issues with motion steering in GT7 with sensitivity set at +5. The snap oversteer on rear-wheel drive machines - which I'll admit is making it harder for me to get settled in Gr.3 at the moment - generally seems to be more of an effect of the revised physics than anything else.

Last edited:
It seems I turned off countersteering assist when I was grinding on the dirt license with the wrong tires. It smoothed out when I turned it back on.

I feel like an idiot playing like that, I'd rather use my wheel, but I'm faster with regular stick, so what's the point

From the start, I've had very few issues with motion steering in GT7 with sensitivity set at +5. The snap oversteer on rear-wheel drive machines - which I'll admit is making it harder for me to get settled in Gr.3 at the moment -
It's weird because for me Gr.3 are really planted, I struggle way more in Gr.4 cars with snaps oversteer with FR or MR cars.

I think the deadzone around the center works fine in GT7, also when making most of the sensitivity settings by adjusting the 0 value to -2. I’d even say making this minor adjustment is crucial, because it ensures a more consistent and natural relationship between steering input and controller tilt.

On a PS4 and DS4 the motion steering is way too twitchy no matter where I set the sensitivity. You can see it in the cockpit view. It's going lock to lock with very little effort. Anyone else notice the difference compared to GT Sport?
Try turning on countersteering to strong and go minus 2 on sensitivity. That helped me greatly and now it feels more like GTsport with everything off.

Back