Premium
United States
Colorado
GTP_UnoMOTO
This should be lots of fun to watch

411362ik8.jpg
411364up2.jpg

SpidermanSS At R1-forum.com
The first ever night-time MotoGP test got underway at the Losail International Circuit in Qatar this evening, ahead of the opening race of the season and the inaugural night race in just over a week?s time. The circuit is lit by 1000 floodlights at varying heights, making it as light as day and covering an area equivalent to 70 football pitches. Fiat Yamaha Team rider Valentino Rossi, who won the race here two years ago, was unfazed by the unusual conditions however and it was soon business as usual for the Italian, who finished the night?s work in ninth place.

One of the main aims of the first night?s testing for Rossi was to work with Bridgestone to find the best tyres to suit the conditions, which are of course considerably cooler than during the daytime tests and races of the past four years. He also worked on general set-up as the team try to maximise the final hours of pre-season track time as the clock ticks down towards the first race. Rossi completed 82 laps overall and posted a best lap of 1?56.749, whilst team-mate Jorge Lorenzo was second fastest with a lap of 1'56.019.

Valentino Rossi Position: 9th Time: 1'56.749 Laps: 82

"There was a lot of curiosity about this night test and I have to say that I am quite satisfied. I think they have made a great job with the lights and you can ride quite normally, as if it's day. The visibility is quite good so there is no danger for us; it's really no more difficult than riding in the day. Maybe it would be better to move this night race to a period when the temperature is a little bit higher however, because at the moment it's very cold here! Today we have worked a lot on the bike set-up, but we were not so fast and we are still missing some grip in acceleration. We tested several different tyres and settings, but I am still sliding a bit when I open the throttle and the front is going a bit wide. We know that this track doesn't have the best grip, but other riders are going faster, so we must do better. We have a couple of ideas for tomorrow and I am sure we will be able to improve."

Team Manager Davide Brivio

"As far as the light is concerned, after one hour testing things seemed to be normal. We got used to the new conditions very quickly and everything worked well. The lights are not a problem, but the temperature is! Maybe it would be better to ride in Qatar when the temperature by night is a little bit higher. The track temperature is equal to the air temperature - low! At the time of the race it was only 15', so it is a limiting situation concerning tyre performance. As far as the bike is concerned, we still have some work to do to increase our performance here and we especially need to improve the setting in order to make the tyres work better in the low temperatures. Tomorrow we will be testing new settings and materials from Bridgestone and we will try to be faster than we were today."

LORENZO HAPPY UNDER THE LIGHTS IN QATAR

Fiat Yamaha Team rider Jorge Lorenzo joined the rest of the MotoGP grid in somewhat unusual conditions today, as the World Championship?s first ever night-test got underway in Qatar. The test is the final one of the pre-season before the first race is run by night at the same track on 9th March.

Lorenzo lost no time in getting to grips with his new circumstances, and with 5.4 million watts lighting the track he, like most other riders, found the conditions different but no more difficult than by day. He concentrated on developing his set-up, testing Michelin tyres and just getting used to riding the M1 around a track at which his last experience was riding a 250cc machine to victory in much warmer temperatures. Lorenzo finished the day in an impressive second position after 77 laps, whilst his team-mate Valentino Rossi was ninth.

Jorge Lorenzo Position: 2nd Time: 1'56.019 Laps: 77

"On this first night of testing in Qatar I was more curious to see how it was riding at night than anything else! I am happy with this idea and honestly speaking I felt I immediately got used to the conditions. Of course at the beginning it feels a bit strange but after few laps things become quite normal and your eyes get used to the new light. The strangest feeling I had was that I felt?lonely! Riding in the night, although the light is very strong, makes you feel alone with your bike, so you must keep the concentration very high because of course you are not alone!

The right lines do not change because of the light, only when braking do you see your shadow getting closer, and that?s why you always must be alert, in order not to get confused with the shadow of another rider! As far as our performance is concerned, my time was very good today but I think with some more work we can be faster still. Tomorrow, when I am more used to the new light, the track and to the cold temperatures, we will try to do even better."

Team Manager Daniele Romagnoli

"It was a positive day for us. Obviously it was a very different test for the team and for all the technicians, a little bit more difficult than usual but I have to say that we did not have any major problems. The rider did not feel any particular difference than riding by day; of course he took some laps to get used to the light, but after that he started riding like it was by day. We started with the basic set-up of Jerez, with just a little change to adjust it to this track. We worked on the riding position, which we slightly changed, then we worked on the electronics, mainly on the power delivery. We also focused on the tyres today and I think we did a good job. We collected new information in these conditions, which are very different from the previous races here. Tomorrow we will be working in the same direction and hopefully we will be faster."

Test Times

1. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro 1'55.330

2. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Fiat Yamaha Team 1'56.019

3. Randy De Puniet (FRA) LCR Honda MotoGP 1'56.062

4. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) JiR Team Scot MotoGP 1'56.121

5. James Toseland (GBR) Tech 3 Yamaha 1'56.251

6. Alex De Angelis (RSM) San Carlo Honda Gresini 1'56.571

7. John Hopkins (USA) Kawasaki Racing 1'56.614

8. Randy De Puniet (FRA) LCR Honda MotoGP 1'56.621

9. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Fiat Yamaha Team 1'56.749

10. Colin Edwards (USA) Tech 3 Yamaha 1'56.762

11. Toni Elias (SPA) Alice Team 1'57.007

12. Nicky Hayden (USA) Repsol Honda 1'57.010

13. Shinya Nakano (JPN) San Carlo Honda Gresini 1'57.223

14. Chris Vermeulen (AUS) Rizla Suzuki 1'57.522

15. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 1'57.551

16. Marco Melandri (ITA) Ducati Marlboro 1'57.593

17. Sylvain Guintoli (FRA) Alice Team 1'57.644

18. Anthony West (AUS) Kawasaki Racing 1'57.787

Losail: Lap Record C. Stoner (Ducati) 2007, 1'56.528

Losail: Best Lap V. Rossi (Yamaha) 2007, 1'55.002

411370yh4.jpg
411371vk9.jpg

James Toseland dazzles at historic Qatar night test

Tech 3 Yamaha rider James Toseland produced a dazzling performance under the spectacular Losail International Circuit?s floodlights to post the fifth fastest time on a historic night for the MotoGP world championship.

The British rider was in sparkling form at the first official MotoGP test to be held under floodlights, with the twoday session a dress rehearsal for the season?s opening race to be held in Qatar on March 9.

Toseland and Texan Colin Edwards quickly adapted to the unusual conditions, with both immediately producing competitive lap times. Toseland was second fastest until the final hour and Edwards, who had been in the top five for a large part of the first night, eventually finished 10th quickest.

The Tech 3 duo carried out full 22-lap race simulations, gathering vital data in preparation for the first race. Toseland and Edwards assessed the performance of new Michelin front and rear tyres that were designed specifically to handle the unusually low track temperatures. Track temperature peaked at 22 degrees when the circuit opened at 6pm, but dropped to a low of just 15 degrees by the end at 1am. Both riders were happy with progress, while Toseland also evaluated a new YZR-M1 chassis for the first time.

James Toseland 5th 1.56.251 ? 90 laps

"To end up fifth fastest on my first time here on the bike is really good. It was a good night, which sounds a bit strange saying that. They have done a fantastic job with the lights. I was here in November when just three corners were lit and to do what they have done is a great effort. You have to focus a bit more than normal and the only real problem was with the humidity. It made it a bit hazy later on and I had to wear a rain mask for my race simulation because I was getting some moisture on my visor. It is better to find that out now than halfway through the race. I?m really happy with the consistency of my race run. The front tyre I found worked really well, which is a massive plus because there is no harder place on a front tyre than this track. The braking stability with the new chassis is much better and it finishes the faster corners better. Those two factors at this circuit are key so I?m really pleased with that. The most pleasing aspect of the race run though was my consistency. It is so important to learn what the bike does later in a race and that experience is coming. I?m just getting more experienced with the bike when the grip goes down, and to be in a range of 0.8s through my whole race run shows I?m making progress."

Colin Edwards 10th 1.56.762 ? 86 laps

"As far as safety goes with the lights everything is fine. There is a little problem with shadows but once you know where they are it is fine and no major distraction. You forget how much you rely on peripheral vision. In the day you know exactly what inch of track you are on and don?t even think about it. But at night you think about it a bit more. At night I?m actually looking at the kerb as a reference where normally you don't. It?s just a different mode you have to switch into. Once race mode kicks in you forget everything so I?ve got no worries about the lights and it didn't hurt the lap times. Michelin have done a good job and I didn?t touch the bike. Michelin have obviously been working on getting heat into the tyres quicker and they have made an improvement. I didn't have any tyre issues at all and my bike is running exactly the same setting as Sepang and Jerez. I?ve got a setting now that?s so good for my style that if we keep that going it will be awesome."

411372me8.jpg
411377my1.jpg

I saw this on the news last night, the bikes looked great under lights. Riding "in the dark" should be no problem at all, I can't wait for round 1!

It's going to be really interesting to see how this race plays out. I think holding your first night race at a desert-type speedway is good for night racing because you don't have to worry about racing at night. Deserts can be really hot in the daytime, but cool off like crazy at night (not that I been to one). So factors like darkness and temperature will make this an interesting race on a rather long track like Losail. Maybe since this is in a desert setting, I often wonder that the track may seem too empty at points when it's dark. At least the lights will show you the way around. I'm sure this race will be as competitive as when World Superbike took some circuits around Losail.

As an off-topic tidbit, I didn't know that this Musco lighting deal is from Iowa. It's Musco Lighting that is lighting up this long track in Qatar (actually pronounced like: "cut-ter") track.

Back