Motor Trend Sport Car Showdown!

  • Thread starter Thread starter rollazn
  • 11 comments
  • 1,054 views

Which one?

  • Honda S2000>Nissan 350z>Mazda RX8

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Honda S2000>Mazda RX8>Nissan 350z

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Nissan 350z>Honda S2000>Mazda RX8

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Nissan 350z>Mazda RX8>Honda S2000

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Mazda RX8>Honda S2000>Nissan 350z

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Mazda RX8>Nissan 350z>Honda S2000

    Votes: 3 23.1%

  • Total voters
    13
Messages
3,760
Messages
rollazn
http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0403_three/index.html

Honda S2000 vs Nissan 350Z vs Mazda RX8

As performance goes, these cars are similar. They are very fast cars for around 35K, the Mazda is the cheapest which is around 26K I believe.

I know there has been posts and poll on which one you would rather have but lets do it again! Which would you rather have?

For me I would choose the Honda S2000.

Honda S2000
Nissan 350Z
Mazda RX8

*just a note: the 350z is very common here in Chattanooga TN*
 
350Z>RX8>S2000

High revver is good but an equally high revver with four seats is better but a proper 3.5L V6 is the best .
 
TsLeng
350Z>RX8>S2000

High revver is good but an equally high revver with four seats is better but a proper 3.5L V6 is the best .

Well lets compare the S2000 to the Mazda RX8. We all know they are lightweights of the bunch compared to the heavy 350Z. They redline at around 8000-9000RPM, and we all agree that they are fast on the circuit.

How about the 1/4? From this motortrend comparsion, the 350z hit the best time.

The S2000 clock 14.19 @ 99.90mph, the Mazda RX8 clock 14.49 @ 95.47mph and the 350Z clocked 13.77 @ 100.94mph. That 350Z time is average for a good driver, I have heard and seen someone gone 13.5 in the 1/4 at a 350Z Forum. I guess if you are used to the car and gotten it broken into it would be faster. The same goes for the S2000. The fastest 1/4 time I heard from a stock S2K was 13.6s I dont believe it was the 04 model. I dont know too much about the RX8 since I dont hang around that board much, not really that big of a fan. The looks arent all that good either.

There are ups and down of each cars, and im too lazy to get to it. Most of you know anyways... Cheers!
 
350Z - RX-8 - S2000

I raced a new 6-speed RX-8 last week in my Omni and beat it by a bus length. I don't know if that means the RX-8 is a weak car, or if my Omni is just that much quicker, but needless to say my opinion of the Mazda isn't as high as it once was.

If I was in the market for a Japanese sports car, I would haul ass to the Nissan dealership and pick up a 350Z. Actually I would buy a 95-99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX.. :)
 
Monster7
350Z - RX-8 - S2000

I raced a new 6-speed RX-8 last week in my Omni and beat it by a bus length. I don't know if that means the RX-8 is a weak car, or if my Omni is just that much quicker, but needless to say my opinion of the Mazda isn't as high as it once was.

If I was in the market for a Japanese sports car, I would haul ass to the Nissan dealership and pick up a 350Z. Actually I would buy a 95-99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX.. :)

Beat a RX8 by a bus length? Wow! What do you have under in that Omni? The RX-8 isnt really all that fast on the striaght but once again the car was never meant to be a striaght line monster, it was to be an all around sport car. It does seat 4, and its not that weak. Just like the S2K there is not alot of torque but its lightweight and the gearing is great at least thats what I heard. I also heard that the S2K has one of the best manual gearbox ever for its price, anyone knows? Maybe by experience?

In reality, If I had 30K to waste, I would take either of those three. It would be down to Mitsubishi Evolution or Subaru Impreza WRX STi. I would actually consider the S2000, but I feel its overpriced compared to the STi and Evo performance wise.
 
Hiya! :D :O :lol:

Although I myself dont know much about the S2000 and the RX-8, I favor the 350Z in this showdown. I dont know why I think that the 350Z would perform better than the other two, but its something I just can't explain really well on paper :odd:
 
The RX8 can't compete with the St00k and the Z, it's pretty obvious. Those of you who put the RX8 in front of the S2000 need to drive both on a winding country road. ;) The Z's faster, but the S2000's much more involving, more fun to drive.

That's so Motor Trend... they test 3 performance cars, then give first place to the slowest, because it's easier to drive around town...
 
rollazn
Beat a RX8 by a bus length? Wow! What do you have under that Omni?
Bone stock sohc 8-valve 2.2 liter with 225,000 miles and the factory Garrett T03 turbo. The only mods are a mopar computer/3" cat-back/gutted interior. The funny thing is, my car was running poorly and was only making 13psi (down from 15) when I raced the 8.

I know the RX-8 wasn't made to be a straight-line-terror, but neither was my Omni! :) Motor Trend sucks.
 
Hey Monster, dont your car stock run mid-high 14s? I never seen a time for a stock Omni, but from car-stats, the only place I could find a time for it in the 1/4. It ran 16.1, but of course I know it can do way better. Magazine times arent all that reliable. So what do you think a stock Omni run, and what do you think yours run.
 
PunkRock
The RX8 can't compete with the St00k and the Z, it's pretty obvious. Those of you who put the RX8 in front of the S2000 need to drive both on a winding country road. ;) The Z's faster, but the S2000's much more involving, more fun to drive.

That's so Motor Trend... they test 3 performance cars, then give first place to the slowest, because it's easier to drive around town...

True performance wise the RX8 can't win. Although some owners dissagree, I think we all know that the RX8 will not outperform the 350Z and the Honda S2K.

My cousin has a Z, and I agree its pretty fast. The engine is the strongest of the 3, having the most power and torque. Although having this in mind, its also heavier than both the other by few hundred pounds. The interior as most of us knows it is cheap and flimsy. The interior dont impress me at all. Its quite amazing, but I rather still have the S2000. On the straighs, it wont have a problem running with the S2000. Since the trap speed of the 350Z is higher also it could and will beat both S2000 and RX8 from a roll. But around a circuit, the result will probably change. Im not saying that the 350z is a bad track contender because its not, but the S2000 is better in my opinion. The 350Z is heavier than the S2000 which is basically a known fact, around some circuit the 350Z have the advantage, vice versa. Around a twisty road or circuit both the RX8 and S2000 have regain the advantage.

My thoughts.

The RX8 is a practical car. Its a 4 seater, and four door coupe. It will be perfect for a guy who wants to go somewhere with his wife, and his 3 year old child. Leave them at their's aunt house and go out joy riding. 💡 Going around for a joy ride, as soon as its clear and no body in they way, just step on the throttle going from 3000rpm all the way up to 9000RPM! 👍 Street racing is dumb, and I did not encourage anything of that sort.

The S2000 is a great car. Its a 2 seater and a convertible. It will be a perfect track toy, and a weekend joy rides. When you want, you can bring this sucker all the way to its redline at 8000rpm (2004) just like how a real sport car should be like. Also it would be the best vehicle to go in to some formal place/party.

The 350Z is a rough car. Its also a 2 seater. It will burn some rubber, with its 3.5L V6. Its your everyday ride, and when you feel like it you can PEEL OFF and just go! This car would be a good track car also. From every RPM to 6K when you press the gas it will just goes!


S2000 > 350Z > RX8
 
The GLH-Turbo Omni's on average are a mid-high 15 second car. My car however has had roughly 200lbs removed from it, putting it right around 2200lbs. The MP Computer is said to knock off .7 - 1.0 second from the 1/4 time.

People who have raced these cars for a long time have said it should be a mid-low 14 car with the current mods. And a mid-low 13 car with an intercooler and the bigger/better flowing 1-piece intake/injectors/computer. All of which I have, just not installed. I'm currently gathering parts for my new motor which will be a 2.5 liter with forged internals and BIG boost by way of a DBB 3052 or Garrett GT 3071R. I'll post pictures and brag as soon as the big parts start showing up. :D

Edit: I was reading on a RX-7 forum that there will be a turbocharged version of the RX-8 released in the U.S.. In that case, I'll take the RX-8 over the 350!
 
Monster7
The GLH-Turbo Omni's on average are a mid-high 15 second car. My car however has had roughly 200lbs removed from it, putting it right around 2200lbs. The MP Computer is said to knock off .7 - 1.0 second from the 1/4 time.

People who have raced these cars for a long time have said it should be a mid-low 14 car with the current mods. And a mid-low 13 car with an intercooler and the bigger/better flowing 1-piece intake/injectors/computer. All of which I have, just not installed. I'm currently gathering parts for my new motor which will be a 2.5 liter with forged internals and BIG boost by way of a DBB 3052 or Garrett GT 3071R. I'll post pictures and brag as soon as the big parts start showing up. :D

Edit: I was reading on a RX-7 forum that there will be a turbocharged version of the RX-8 released in the U.S.. In that case, I'll take the RX-8 over the 350!

Damn those Omni are fast. For a 1986 car (before I was even born) they are incredibly fast and you wouldnt expect them to be. They would be great sleepers!

I cant wait till you post up pictures, congrat on the car again.

A Turbo RX8? I havent heard about it. Mind digging up the link? My results probably still wouldnt change. The RX8 never really appealed to me, beside the rotary engine which is a big thumps up. 👍
 
Back