Motorcycle crash improves GT5P

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kneedragger
  • 12 comments
  • 1,797 views
Messages
295
Messages
RaySirX
This is my first post here, prompted in part by me fracturing my T4 and T6 vertebra this past weekend on a motorcycle at the track. Modern science (i.e.'painkillers') allow me to drive GT, but being new to the game and the PS3 its been a real awakening for me. I bought a G25 wheel which I've had for a few days, and so my time at home recovering isnt half bad (but fractured vertebra are a fricken torture I dont recommend to anyone.)

I'm still trying to get a handle on the fine points of the game, especially tt mode. Driving the Ford GT concept car around London, with force feedback, gives me a dim feeling of Ayrton Senna pounding around Monaco in the Honda F1 car... its REALLY quite an amazing game you lads play here! My slow internet connection will keep me from racing online, but having access to this site and the flash way GT5P connects to the leaderboards is worth keeping it for.

Anyways, hello from Santa Fe, and I hope you veterans of the game take time to sit back and enjoy what an amazing thing you have from time to time. I dont race around with a big stupid grin on my face, no, but this 'process' of Gran Turismo 5 and PS3 is quite special.


'the meek may inherit the earth, they just better stay the hell off the track' :-)
 
When I was ill for month back in 2004 I bought my first PS(2) w/GT(3). That was the best decision of the year, I'm so happy to enjoy this game series, it made the month very short for me and my life is richer since that sickness! The other thing I remember is that my thumbs were candidates for amputation on every evening :o)
 
I too have spend a lot time with GT3 when I was ill for quite a long time and had nothing else to do... :)

..I had the ps2 in my room @ the hospital, and without it the days would have been so much longer... 👍 Sometimes I just played it so long that when the nurse came to check my being @ nights I had to shut it down for a while and pretend to be asleep. Then when she went away I often turned the game on again.. :D

👍
 
Amazing, the same here i was ill and got out of hospital (only for one night) a while back now. I had GTP5 JPN version for only a few days before i went into hospital but my recovery involved two weeks off work so i decided to reward myself and went and bought a G25.
I've owned every version of the GT series but those two weeks i had off work (allbeit in pain) were probably the most enjoyable i've ever had with the series. 👍
 
Welcome to GTPlanet Kneedragger!:)
Wow, I'm shocked how many of you have discovered the Health benefits of GT lol!:lol: Take one GT twice daily, overdoses may induce unwanted thumb iritation's.:D
Peace,
Rusty*
 
Last edited:
Welcome to GTP.:cheers: If you're ever racing and want a tune, feel free to check out my garage The Lion's Den.👍
Sorry to hear about your accident. Is your bike a write off? (Can bikes be write offs?)
 
Sorry to hear about your accident. Is your bike a write off? (Can bikes be write offs?)

The bike was mostly spared-- in this case it was contact with a tire wall, which isnt so bad relatively speaking. Sometimes the crash involves sliding or tumbling along the track itself, which always tends to leave a lasting impression. And oh yes, bikes getting 'totalled' are somewhat common. It just means it would cost more to fix than its worth. Bent frames and/or swingarms usually tip the scales in that direction.

Gosh I didnt expect my experience would be mirrored by so many of you. It makes me feel like I'm part of an even more select and exclusive club- lets call it the 'ex-HospitalHotshots' or maybe the 'AmbulanceAces' or just plain Team Black&Blue :-) Being injured really does make you appreciate being normal, which is why the GT5P/PS3/G25 combo is getting burned into my senses so much. Its telling me, 'this is what *normal* can be, and theres lots more to come'. Kazunori Yamauchi I salute you. Or, you know, I would if I had more freedom of movement in my arm.
 
Welcome to GTPlanet Kneedragger!:)
Wow, I'm shocked how many of you have discovered the Health benefits of GT lol!:lol: Take one GT twice daily,


I have been back to work now since July after having 6 months off from work.
Though I wasn't in the hospital, the time at home with a bum shoulder would have been torture for sure without GT4/Prolouge and these GT forums.

Welcome again to you Kneedragger.
 
Welcome to GTPlanet and GT5 Prologue!

Hope you're recovering well. What Internet connection do you have? Mine is 1/2 meg (512Kb), just about the slowest broadband connection going and I play online. Plays fine and I haven't had anyone tell me I'm a lag-infested disaster waiting to happen.
 
Welcome to GTPlanet and GT5 Prologue!

Hope you're recovering well. What Internet connection do you have? Mine is 1/2 meg (512Kb), just about the slowest broadband connection going and I play online. Plays fine and I haven't had anyone tell me I'm a lag-infested disaster waiting to happen.

The problem is they only offer one speed of service in my neighborhood. So even if I wanted a 7meg connection all I get is 256k. But I see you are from the UK. Back in the mid 90's I raced a PC game over the net, 'TOCA 2', which was Codemasters take on the British Touring Car Championship. I was webmaster of the biggest TOCA 2 site (TOCA 2 Players Guide) and not to toot my own horn, but I won a $800.00 Thomas Super Wheel by winning what we called our online world championships. I absolutely LOVED racing online, and all my e-friends seemed to be British so I have loads of good memories of all that. And you have many cool tracks over there most people have never raced or even heard of: Croft, Knockhill, Snetterton, Oulton Park... the English love their racing.

Racing hardware fans need to visit
http://www.thomas-superwheel.com
and see what the best simracing wheel money can buy looks like (and costs!)
 
Kneedragger, I think you should give online racing a try. It's really pretty light on bandwidth as long as you're not the host. The system should be clever enough to ensure you're not the host if your connection isn't up to it and there are races with fewer competitors (4-8 rather than 12-16) especially for low-bandwidth users. Even latency isn't that critical, people regularly play GT with people on the other side of the world (US-Japan etc.). The quality of your connection isn't nearly so critical for GT as it is for playing other online games. It can't hurt to try.
 
Give it a try if you have an Internet connection at home 👍

Congrats on the TOCA 2 win! I remember the first one on the Playstation 1 - was a good game!

I will agree that we have some great circuits over here in the UK! I've been to Brands Hatch, Oulton Park, Donnington, Silverstone, Castle Coombe and possibly Snetterton or Knock Hill, can't remember! My father used to take me and my brother to see our uncle race :D Would love to see Oulton Park and Brands Hatch (the full GP version through the woods!) on Prologue!
 
Sorry to here your injuries, but the good thing is it has led you to us, so Welcome and enjoy this forum some brilliant people here that are truly friendly & genuine.

Cheers & Get Well Soon

Jamie (Grim Reaper).

👍
 
Back