Mouse cursor doesn't move smooth

• Thread starter Vinylshark
  • 12 comments
Germany
NRW
Vinylshark
Hello,
Like the title already said, my mouse cursor doesn't move smooth. Whenever I move the mouse, it feels and looks like the cursor is jumping/skipping pixels. This way the mouse isn't precise to use at all. This makes it really difficult to work with Photoshop and playing Counter Strike, or really any shooter.
I already tried to update the mouse drivers, but they're already the newest ones.

My two questions now:
1. Is this problem caused by the mouse itself, or is there something wrong in the computer settings?
2. Is there something in the settings I can change, to make the cursor move completely smooth, like it's supposed to, or do I have to get a new mouse?

Btw, I'm using a cheap (~15€) Sharkoon - Shark Force mouse.

Hello,
Like the title already said, my mouse cursor doesn't move smooth. Whenever I move the mouse, it feels and looks like the cursor is jumping/skipping pixels. This way the mouse isn't precise to use at all. This makes it really difficult to work with Photoshop and playing Counter Strike, or really any shooter.
I already tried to update the mouse drivers, but they're already the newest ones.

My two questions now:
1. Is this problem caused by the mouse itself, or is there something wrong in the computer settings?
2. Is there something in the settings I can change, to make the cursor move completely smooth, like it's supposed to, or do I have to get a new mouse?

Btw, I'm using a cheap (~15€) Sharkoon - Shark Force mouse.

Clean the sensor on the bottom. It's likely you'll see some crud around the LED and/or photoreceptor, Clean it out and see how that works.

I've had similar problems with various mice, both optical and the old rolling-ball type, and cleaning always fixed the prob lem.

Clean the sensor on the bottom. It's likely you'll see some crud around the LED and/or photoreceptor, Clean it out and see how that works.

I've had similar problems with various mice, both optical and the old rolling-ball type, and cleaning always fixed the prob lem.
Tried that. Made no difference :indiff:

Remove the mouse, wait a few second and reinsert this might fix any possible driver issue.
Replace with better mouse, I recommend Logitech G502.
Try a new surface.

Remove the mouse, wait a few second and reinsert this might fix any possible driver issue.
Replace with better mouse, I recommend Logitech G502.
Try a new surface.
Already tried removing/reinserting the mouse and different surfaces. It still doesn't move smoothly.
I order a Razer Diamondback yesterday, hopefully it will fix the issue.

I also remembered that I had the same problem already on my last computer with the "standard" DELL mouse that came with it. Could it maybe be a problem with the monitor? I know that I once used a Razer gaming mouse on the old computer years ago and the cursor moved just fine, but that was also on my old monitor.

Tried that. Made no difference :indiff:

Try it on a variety of surfaces (back of a book, newspaper, bit of wood), I sometimes get this problem when I've dusted - I guess the reflection is all glare and no texture so the mouse doesn't know it's moved.

Failing that do the usual driver check etc. ;)

Already tried removing/reinserting the mouse and different surfaces. It still doesn't move smoothly.
I order a Razer Diamondback yesterday, hopefully it will fix the issue.

I also remembered that I had the same problem already on my last computer with the "standard" DELL mouse that came with it. Could it maybe be a problem with the monitor? I know that I once used a Razer gaming mouse on the old computer years ago and the cursor moved just fine, but that was also on my old monitor.

I can't imagine how the monitor could be the cause of that particular problem. Which is not to say it couldn't happen, of course, particularly with Microsoft involved.

In any case, one thing you could try is booting a Linux live distro (which does not do anything on your hard drive unless you tell it to) and see if the problem persists. This will help pin down whether it's a hardware or software issue.

Try it on a variety of surfaces (back of a book, newspaper, bit of wood)
Failing that do the usual driver check etc. ;)
Already tried that as well.

In any case, one thing you could try is booting a Linux live distro
No idea what that really is.

I will wait now till Tuesday and see if the problem will go away with the new mouse.

No idea what that really is.

It's a standalone operating system (Linux) that runs completely off a USB stick or CD, doesn't have to be installed on the system at all. It's very useful for diagnosing boot problems, or for determining if something is a hardware or software problem. Here's how to set one up, all you need is a USB stick.

I will wait now till Tuesday and see if the problem will go away with the new mouse.

Hopefully that'll take care of the problem right there!

I think the first troubleshooting step(s) we may have missed is (are):

Has this happened with any other mouse on this computer + monitor setup previously?

Did this happen with the current mouse on day 1 or did it happen after some use? If the latter, list (to the best of your ability) all the changes that has happened to that computer before you noticed it happening like so.

It's a standalone operating system (Linux) that runs completely off a USB stick or CD, doesn't have to be installed on the system at all. It's very useful for diagnosing boot problems, or for determining if something is a hardware or software problem. Here's how to set one up, all you need is a USB stick.
I'll take a look at it.

Has this happened with any other mouse on this computer + monitor setup previously?.
Yes, the mouse I used before was the DELL one that I mentioned before. It had the same problem on this computer as well.
Did this happen with the current mouse on day 1 or did it happen after some use? If the latter, list (to the best of your ability) all the changes that has happened to that computer before you noticed it happening like so.
Straight away from the first day.

I made some research again on the internet and it looks like the sensetivity was just set way too high. Turned it down a bit and increased the DPI on the mouse (which sadly ends at 1600) and the result really does feel better. Still isn't 100% smooth, but at least the skips are quite a lot smaller now. Right now it's personally a bit too slow for my likings, but when I get my new mouse I should be able to fix everything :dopey:

Is Pointer Precision disabled?
It is. Enabling does help a bit, but so far everyone says to turn it off, if you wanna play FPS games.

Latest Posts

Back