Moving from STD to Pro

  • Thread starter Thread starter jared52
  • 17 comments
  • 1,319 views
Messages
8
Now that I have all the races completed (not all gold, but passed) I am wanting to be come a Pro physics racer. It feels like I am driving on glass an no matter how asy I am on the throttle coming out of the S's in Suzuka, I am going to spin out every time. I have to be VERY slow now. What tips can you give to help me become a better Pro physics racer?


EDIT: I forgot to mention I am using a DFGT.
 
I use a dfgt also. Tuning tuning tuning is the best answer. When I moved to pro I turned off all driving aids and worked on the tune. When done properly the car will be much more controllable. I have used Dutch customs tunes in the past and tweaked the tune for my driving style. What car are you adjusting?
 
As jswilli1 said, tuning really helps. Also, lots of practice. I have the DFP and left foot braking really helps me to settle the car in some high speed turns, especially when using a car that has lift-throttle oversteer. Let us know if there is a specific car you need help with.

At Suzuka I usually do great through the esses but really have to be careful at Dunlop to keep from going wide. Also each car seems "more different" in pro physics so, again, a good tune is a big help. And practicing with each car to learn its particular characteristics helps.
 
Last edited:
Once you go pro its pretty hard to go back. You just have to put yourself in a mindset that you have to be able to drive with pro physics because its way more smoother then STD physics. Anyway, i find that if your driving FF cars or AWD cars, you dont need to turn anything on. If im driving FR, I put the traction control on 1 out of 10. Thats more then enough. You can leave the stability one off(i think thats the one that prevents you from skidding), makes it more realistic. Oh yeah im using a sixaxis for the moment lol. Also, pay attention to the weight transfer of the vehicles you use when driving in pro.
 
Last edited:
Depends on what car you're using. I find the Blitz Skyline a nightmare to control (throttle-wise). Has a lot of turbo lag and controlling the power through the wheels is difficult for me!

In contrast, I find the tuned Viper a dream to control.

This is without any aids.
 
Last edited:
The whole problem with driving std physics with aids is it teaches you all sorts of bad habits. If you'd begun the game on pro physics you'd probably have it sussed by now. If you were using driving aids like TC and ASM and stuff try dialling them down gradually, one at a time, until you've adjusted to the change. If you weren't using the aids then congratulations, you'll learn pro much quicker.

Also stick to easier to drive, less powerful cars and work your way up to the monsters - 500bhp is much harder to keep on the track than 100. By the same token try to learn in FR or MR (harder again) cars, since FF and AWD drivetrains are designed so your granny can get to the shops and back and won't really teach you much about handling a racecar.

As you've probably realised by now std physics does all the driving for you so you turn it to pro and suddenly the responsibility for keeping the car on the road is handed over to you.

Stick at it tho, it's much more immersive and rewarding when you get it right.
 
Welcome to the real world of Granturismo :)

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about tuning to begin with... you need to first learn the basics... Go get a mid powered FR car... start with something like the Mazda RX7. Turn off all the aids except ABS and go to Suzuka time trail, download the ghost of the 10th ranked time and try to follow it.. don't try to overtake it at first, just follow it at a constant distance.

Gradually you'll be able to see where a faster driver brakes, what lines he runs and where he's getting back on the power. Concentrate on being super smooth with your braking/turning/steering/accelerating... remember, the less steering you have applied the harder you'll be able to brake or accelerate... you already have a wheel/pedals, and that makes you're job much easier.
 
Practice, practice and practice some more.

When I first played GT5P I used to race on standard physics, but forced myself onto pro because the online races using standard physics were destruction derbies. I learned the physics using cars like the Integra and BMW 1-series tii concept, which aren't too powerful to handle when you're making the switch.

And, think yourself lucky - the pro physics are so much easier to get to grips with now than they were back in May ish when I changed over. The last couple of physics updates have given the cars so much more grip. It really was like driving on glass back then...
 
Welcome to the real world of Granturismo :)

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about tuning to begin with... you need to first learn the basics...
+1

When I learned to play with Pro physics I did a lot time trail with the GT LM Test Car with all aids turned off except for ABS. That's good practising of you ask me.

I use the SIXAXIS though.. The GT LM is a little extreme in the beginning when using a wheel I guess.
 
Last edited:
I started pro physics in arcade mode on S2's once you get used to that and go online with R3's you'll feel like you've got magnets instead of tyres.
 
I am in the process of going from Standard to Pro, too, with a DFGT wheel. I got GT5:P when it first came out, and spent a LOT of time driving Standard. Then I sort of took the summer off from GT5P. When I got back into it, I decided it was time to try Pro. At first it was nothing but frustration...not fun at all! So I decided that I would start at the beginning. I went to "events" C1. In each event, I chose a car from the starting lineup, so I would'nt have a "better car" advantage. And I went thru EVERY event from C1 to S10, going for at least a podium finish ( "Well done, you have cleared the event"). Pro physics with all aids turned off, except ABS=1. When I got to the "S" events, I started driving the more challenging cars that I always had trouble with before...Honda NSX, Ford GT and the tuned Ford GT-LM test car, and the Lotus's. Challenging myself to become a better driver. I found that after going thru C, B, A events, by the time I got to the S events I was somewhat able to handle the MR cars without TOO much problem. I'm still working on a podium finish for S10...tried a lot of different cars, learned a lot about tuning for Pro and, I am sure a better driver for the effort. It didn't take all that much time, and I earned more than enough money along the way to buy all three new cars that come with Spec III.
 
Now that I have all the races completed (not all gold, but passed) I am wanting to be come a Pro physics racer. It feels like I am driving on glass an no matter how asy I am on the throttle coming out of the S's in Suzuka, I am going to spin out every time. I have to be VERY slow now. What tips can you give to help me become a better Pro physics racer?


EDIT: I forgot to mention I am using a DFGT.

It is good that you are using a wheel.

The all time FASTEST way to learn PRO physics, is to turn every single AID off. Have you're FFB settings at 5-10. Wheel assist off. And Keep ABS at 1. And no racing line.

It is hard to learn like that, but it is the fastest way. Driving aids, steer assists, race line really make you feel like a SLAVE to them, because once you turn it off, you will feel like you do not know what to do and how to react once you car is spinning or sliding. Thats why turn everything off. Never Use Throttle and Brake as an OFF/ON buttons. Use them gently. Just practice practice practice.
 
+1000000

Practice. Practice. Practice.
Smooth = fast.
Slow in, fast out (I need to work on this)
Learn to drive first, then worry about tuning later.
Play Live for Speed (don't flame, that's how I learned)...
***

Want a challenge (as well as a great learning experience)? Try driving the Lotus Elise 111R tuned at Suzuka on Pro, simulation everything, etc. with NO aids including NO ABS. That will teach you a lot about how to brake - smoothly and in a straight line.
 
Awesome. I didn't think about going back to the lower B and A class races even though that'show I got used to the wheel when I first got it. I have been using no aids on STD for a while, but not in Pro. I'm just going to go back to the early races and re-learn how to drive. Used to use the excuse that STD was ok since we didn't have that butt feedback to help control the car, but I'm really ready for the challenge. I probably bit off more than I could chew trying to run S10 with a tuned Mine's or A2000 (using the tunes from the S class thread). I'm going back to the beginning and see how that goes.

Thanks for all the feedback and when I can control it, I'll see you on the track!
 
As others have said, starting off with pro physics & no aids straight away is the best option to learn quickly. If you're coming off standard physics with some aids on, that most likely means you'll have bad habits for example, slamming the accelerator down at any point exiting a corner without needing to worry about wheel spin. My recommendation would be drive with no aids on & just try to set consistent laps, doesn't matter how fast you are in the beginning, just work on being able to follow the driving line, smooth throttle & braking application and not over driving the car. Once you feel a little more confident try to go a bit faster & keep increasing that pace. Soon enough you'll be able to drive quickly with no mistakes! Be prepared to put a bit of time & effort into your driving though as it doesn't come instantly & you need to practice but once you work it out, its easy :)
 
I use a dfgt also. Tuning tuning tuning is the best answer.


Tuning is not the answer, you need the fundamentals first.


Practice is the answer.
 
Agreed, you should always tune the car to be as fast as it possibly can, and adjust your driving style to suit the car. Don't ever tune the car to match your driving style.
 
I have been working my way through all events with pro physics. So far I've done all C and B, and I only have the F430 mission and the M3 TT left in A. Both are very challenging with pro.
 
Back