Moving to Arnhem, NL

• Thread starter MaxAttack
  • 13 comments
United Kingdom
Isle of Wight, UK
Hello good people!

I am currently sat on a coach at London Victoria, which will be taking me to Utrecht where I will board a train and head to my new home in Arnhem, where I'll be studying Automotive Engineering at HAN UAS.

Now, I have a long journey ahead to a new city in a country I've never visited, and, so I can have something to browse as I sit here in somewhat cramped conditions, I ask you all;

Dutchies of GTP and learned travellers, what can I expect from Arnhem and the Netherlands? Any travel advice, horror stories or general anecdotes welcome.

Peace!

Update: Hell of a journey so far. I am sat somewhere in the middle of Brussels on the coach and haven't had a wink of sleep. I chose to sit in front of the deepest snorer I've ever encountered. After two hours even a stern kick didn't wake her. Since she's kept the whole back half of the bus awake with her impression of a sewer filtration system, we've all gone a bit mad and I spent the last hour or so in fits of laughter with a random Frenchman.

We pull into Brussels and suddenly she awakes, gathers her things and leaves, accompanied by a literal cheer of relief from us.

Why does everyone in Europe wear flip flops? Weird.

Next stop: Antwerp at some ungodly hour. But with the snorebeast gone, a chance of sleep, thank God.

Learn Dutch and learn to drive on the right side of the road. It is the best thing you can do. :D
Oh, get a Dutch girlfriend. They are one of the most beautiful girls in whole of Europe.

Update: Hell of a journey so far. I am sat somewhere in the middle of Brussels on the coach and haven't had a wink of sleep. I chose to sit in front of the deepest snorer I've ever encountered. After two hours even a stern kick didn't wake her. Since she's kept the whole back half of the bus awake with her impression of a sewer filtration system, we've all gone a bit mad and I spent the last hour or so in fits of laughter with a random Frenchman.
She must have been a French speaking Belgian. Flemish girls don't snore. :lol:

Why does everyone in Europe wear flip flops? Weird.
Indeed. I don't get it either. I hate those things and I think people who wear these in public have mental problems. I have never had flip flops and refuse to wear them, not even for €5,000,000.

Some guys even wear these when working out in the gym. :yuck:

Don't walk on the cycle paths, Dutch cyclists stop for nothing, and often use their phones while cycling.

Update: I am in Arnhem. It is hot. I am sleep deprived.

Lovely place but unfair levels of hot. Had a premium lager in a nice cool bar. Staying in an apartment. Sleeping. Never taking the coach again, absolutely killer journey.

Already spotted a trolleybus - pretty sweet - and of course cyclists galore. People ride little Peugeot scooters around without helmets, one handed, smoking a fag and weaving. Refreshingly lax attitude to health and safety, that. Passed a couple of herbal themed cafes - I wasn't aware they had them here, though from what I understand, the privilege ain't cheap, so it might have to wait.

Thanks for the tips gang, keep 'em coming. Lovely country this, from what I can see. For now, sleep.

Also, if you haven't already, get a Chipkaart. If you plan on getting around a bit by train, have a look at the subscriptions (abonnementen) and pick one that works best for you. When I was there, we had the weekend vrij - 34 Euro a month got you free travel on weekends and 40% other times. You only have to make one return trip from Arnhem to Amsterdam per month to pay for it.

Also, if you haven't already, get a Chipkaart. If you plan on getting around a bit by train, have a look at the subscriptions (abonnementen) and pick one that works best for you. When I was there, we had the weekend vrij - 34 Euro a month got you free travel on weekends and 40% other times. You only have to make one return trip from Arnhem to Amsterdam per month to pay for it.
Off.

FTFY

:D

Back