"MR" handling inconsistent?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ice0l8ed
  • 12 comments
  • 1,334 views
Messages
85
United States
Virginia
Messages
Ice0l8ed
First of all I run no aids and these cars are stock or very lightly modded. Sport hard tires as well. Some mr cars feel awesome and others feel un drivable. My nsx type r is awesome I feel totally comfortable in it but the lotus evora which was a good natural competitor wants to spin no matter what. I've been playing gran turismo since the first game and this is the first time I can't compensate my driving/tune out the problem. On the evora and a few other rear heavy cars unless you crawl through a corner the rear end will try to swing around strongly. I was wondering if this is a game issue or these cars really are this difficult to drive irl. The lotus Elise is extremely tail heavy but it is one of the best handling cars in the game (relatively speaking)

Any thoughts?
 
First of all I run no aids and these cars are stock or very lightly modded. Sport hard tires as well. Some mr cars feel awesome and others feel un drivable. My nsx type r is awesome I feel totally comfortable in it but the lotus evora which was a good natural competitor wants to spin no matter what. I've been playing gran turismo since the first game and this is the first time I can't compensate my driving/tune out the problem. On the evora and a few other rear heavy cars unless you crawl through a corner the rear end will try to swing around strongly. I was wondering if this is a game issue or these cars really are this difficult to drive irl. The lotus Elise is extremely tail heavy but it is one of the best handling cars in the game (relatively speaking)

Any thoughts?
It's been discussed quite a bit with some feeling the physics are broken and some feeling that's how it is supposed to be.

I thought at first it was just a case of getting used to them and it was correct but after driving more cars, the Audi R8 in particular and seeing AI cars rear wheels coming off the ground under braking i feel there is a glitch in either the weight or aero at the rear of some cars.

Something is definitely "off" imo.
 
It's been discussed quite a bit with some feeling the physics are broken and some feeling that's how it is supposed to be.

I thought at first it was just a case of getting used to them and it was correct but after driving more cars, the Audi R8 in particular and seeing AI cars rear wheels coming off the ground under braking i feel there is a glitch in either the weight or aero at the rear of some cars.

Something is definitely "off" imo.
I looked around and couldn't quite find a definitive thread about it. I remember reading about some ones theory about center of gravity and things like that but I found it on a google search. I am of the mindset something is "off" as well. I think there is a discrepancy between my car setups between online racing and offline racing. The 2 setups rarely seem to work. But the "mr issue" has me bummed. Some are too unstable to really be pushed in online racing.
 
I think I'm seeing a common denominator for the cars that are perceived to be "broken". They tend to be the cars with shorter wheelbases (distance between front and rear wheels). Cars like the Lancia Stratos, Toyota MR2's, and modern Lotuses. Cars with longer wheelbases, such as the NSX's, are perceived to be "fine".

I can tell you from personal experience that the MR2's were incorrectly modeled on GT5, and certainly have not improved for GT6. It might be that some of the last physics updates on GT5 "deadened" some of the effect I'm talking about, but the MR2 in no way, shape or form has the lift off oversteer modeled on GT.

I've raced in a first gen MR2, I have over 50 track hours in the car, and have driven it on Laguna Seca multiple times, a track that's on the game. The only way I can get it to handle remotely like it does in real life is by staggering the tire compounds. I practiced on Laguna Seca with Comfort Soft Rear, Comfort Medium Front. It's still not right, but it's more right than it is with CS on both ends.
 
EDK
I think I'm seeing a common denominator for the cars that are perceived to be "broken". They tend to be the cars with shorter wheelbases (distance between front and rear wheels). Cars like the Lancia Stratos, Toyota MR2's, and modern Lotuses. Cars with longer wheelbases, such as the NSX's, are perceived to be "fine".

I can tell you from personal experience that the MR2's were incorrectly modeled on GT5, and certainly have not improved for GT6. It might be that some of the last physics updates on GT5 "deadened" some of the effect I'm talking about, but the MR2 in no way, shape or form has the lift off oversteer modeled on GT.

I've raced in a first gen MR2, I have over 50 track hours in the car, and have driven it on Laguna Seca multiple times, a track that's on the game. The only way I can get it to handle remotely like it does in real life is by staggering the tire compounds. I practiced on Laguna Seca with Comfort Soft Rear, Comfort Medium Front. It's still not right, but it's more right than it is with CS on both ends.
Hmm I've considered this too, but the Elise is a short wheel base and it's fine. The ruf rgt is a longer wheel base and although it's an rr layout it suffers from the same problem. If these cars really handle this way I'll accept it but it doesn't seem like its accurate.
 
Hmm I've considered this too, but the Elise is a short wheel base and it's fine. The ruf rgt is a longer wheel base and although it's an rr layout it suffers from the same problem. If these cars really handle this way I'll accept it but it doesn't seem like its accurate.
Good point on the Elise.

RR cars are another story, they were even scary on GT4. Have not driven one IRL, but understand they are a completely different animal.
 
I should point out that driven online these cars handle better. At least for me.
 
EDK
Good point on the Elise.

RR cars are another story, they were even scary on GT4. Have not driven one IRL, but understand they are a completely different animal.
The rgt was scary on gt5 but I could make it work, now it's just useless for me lol.
 
Also a stock 458 handles very good.
 
It's been discussed quite a bit with some feeling the physics are broken and some feeling that's how it is supposed to be.

I thought at first it was just a case of getting used to them and it was correct but after driving more cars, the Audi R8 in particular and seeing AI cars rear wheels coming off the ground under braking i feel there is a glitch in either the weight or aero at the rear of some cars.

Something is definitely "off" imo.

i agree, and that video Pikes Peak Hill Climb with a Monster. shows how very wrong, the poly guys have gone with the rally dirt physics.
 
Now that I think about it, 2010 camaro which for whatever reason is weight balanced at 47/53 was very difficult to drive. Everytime I braked it was tring to over rotate. When I put the weight up front where it's supposed to be (I think I had it at 52/48) it was cured. It handled exactly like you would expect. But having to redistribute the weight of a car is something I usually avoid.
 
its in the article of the day (main page) i posted the other post.
 
Back