Multi-purpose racing seat

• Thread starter swamidude
  • 8 comments
Asian_JEW
Hi guys,

So I have a few problems with my back and am need in a new desk chair, and I also wanted a good, tall racing esque seat to use with my rennsport stand and carrera (arriving tomorrow :D ).

So what I wanted to know is if anybody knows of a racing style seat which offers good back support, is sturdy and can be adjusted to a decent desk height and also easily moved?

It may be a lot to ask but I really hope I can get one chair to cater for my racing, studying and back support needs.

Any suggestions will be appreciated :)

P.S. I'd ideally be looking for one with lockable wheels or a fixed base, as I don't want to move around while racing!

Finally, I'm in the uk, so American products won't be practical to ship here unfortunately.

Last edited:
Im not really sure if this is what you are after, but this is my solution to needing a desk and a rig all in one. From the GT5 set up and man cave thread:

Hey guys, finally got around to cleaning my room and taking some pics of my setup while BF3 downloads.

I like to think I got a unique setup going here, I didnt have the space for a desk and a rig so I kind of combined the two and this is what I ended up with:

Untitled by Hollidog, on Flickr

I got a seat out of an Evo 3 from a wreckers yard for $50, and I mounted it on a bit of wood and attached it to a base with four legs which hinge and allow the seat to go up and down:

The latches pull out and allow the seat to fold down:

It might not look it, but I can assure you that it is perfectly stable and the seat does not move at all, even during the most aggressive sessions.

The view from the drivers seat:

Some more general shots:

Kicked over a water bottle as I was walking around.​

Systems:
Macbook Pro 13", 2.3ghz I5, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD.
Launch 20GB PS3 upgraded to 80GB HDD out of old laptop.
PC: 2.7ghz Quadcore o/c to 3.2ghz, HD6850 1GB GFX, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit.

Thanks dragon dude, I'll have a look.

Hollidog that looks amazing! That's sorta what I want but I don't want to lock the chair to any sort of mount, I'd rather have one with legs or something so I can move just the chair. Thank you though.

Recaro is building office chairs too. But I think they are as expensive as their racing chairs in cars.

Tomcat I've seen 4 figure prices and it's a teensy bit out of my budget ;)

What I'm just thinking of now is a high backed seat with four solid legs and no swivel if I can find a good one.

It all depends what type of back problem you have? As I have a slight curviture in my spin I have this problem all the time in my case I found a more upright seat gave me better support best seat I have used my in my old 2002 impreza gave brilliant support with no spongy seat , also 2nd best seat was a peugeot 205 xs or gti seat great support and brilliant comfort. My advice would be get down a scrap yard and try as many seats as u can then make sure the seat you choose has a lot of adjustability. I use a rseat rig and the origanl seat holes don't give me enough vert adjustment and its a back killer after a hour out comes the drill this week

This^ I would recommend sitting in as many seats as you can and then getting one from the junkyard you feel comfortable in. I sat in like 30 cars before i found a damaged Honda S2000, and fell inlove with the way it felt sitting in it. The seat was too far gone to use so I found another on Craigslist in better condition and bought that one for $75. Point is, find a seat that is comfortable to YOUR liking first. you can always add lumbar support bolsters in afterwards if gou dont find a car that has built in adjustable lumbar knobs. Heck even my old 2001 mazda protege has comfortable seats with lumbar adjust. I am sure tou could get a seat like that for $30 with the slider rails included so you can adjust position.

Thanks guys :)

Yeah I have problems mainly with my lower back. I might have a look around and see what's available, maybe I'll get some wood and mount the seat up. Thanks for all the advice.

If anyone else has any inexpensive solutions please do let me know!

Back