Multiplayer w/ NEW PSTWO?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AzNkiD1123
  • 25 comments
  • 1,533 views
Yeah, GT4 will support LAN linking - hopefully i.Linking as well. The next thing I wonder about is mixed linking. Will it be possible for the host to run a LAN linkup and an i.Link linkup for mixed clients.
 
Seesh, the iLink was removed from the PS2 almost 2 years ago.

Jedi, is right. The PStwo has a network adapter built in.
 
Perhaps with the popularity of online gaming with the PS2 and the new direction thereof to make it smaller, you can finally play online without having to pay extra for a network adapter. Happy now, player? You dig me, jive turkey? Do you..., uh... comprende... to hell with it. You want LAN play with GT4 when it comes out, you get this PS2 and sell your old one (unless you still like I-Link).
 
WHOA! Clarification: The network adaptor will not replace the i.Link port's capabilities in older games. If you want to play an older game that had i.Link support you will still need a PS2 with an i.Link port. New games will have network support and require the network port.

I am speculating whether or not Gran Turismo 4 (and other games) will have both i.Link AND network support and if you can use both methods to connect to the host PS2 at the same time. We shall see, but I doubt that this will be possible, as I've never seen anything similar on computers.
 
AzNkiD1123
Hi. I just got the new slim PStwo. It doesn't have the iLink on it and I was wondering if you can still do multiplayer with it. What do you guys think?
I heard that you can't use the old memory cards on the PStwo? True or False
 
GT3 LANs through the iLink port (Firewire protocols).
GT4 will LAN through the NA (Ethernet protocols).

I highly doubt both LAN protocols will be in GT4, but I am still waiting to find out for certain.

Only the older PS2s will allow to use LANs with both games, so look around for older models. I found a new iLinked PS2 this past summer, in a big city, so it may still be possible.

Cheers,

MasterGT
 
gomer_pyle
I heard that you can't use the old memory cards on the PStwo? True or False
False. 👍
 
Why would you want i.Link play in GT4 anyway, when you have LAN?
 
Because it is easier...At least to my knowledge it is.
 
ExigeExcel
Because it is easier...At least to my knowledge it is.
Have to agree here... got an i-Link hub and many friends got their own copies of GT3. We got to play i-Linked every month, in a little club next to my house... fun, fun, fun... the real plug-and-play experience!
 
AzNkiD1123
Hi. I just got the new slim PStwo. It doesn't have the iLink on it and I was wondering if you can still do multiplayer with it. What do you guys think?
u can do MP with i via lan 💡
 
The New one supports LAN and Dial up, and theyre coming out with a new multitap thing for it. (but that's not online.)
 
Has anyone here directly compared LAN to iLink? I have a hard time believing that LAN is much more difficult to use...
 
Sven
Has anyone here directly compared LAN to iLink? I have a hard time believing that LAN is much more difficult to use...
Please don't confuse the terms, Sven. A LAN is just that - a _Local Area_ Network. The type of LAN varies with the protocols (the bidirectional handshaking - communication between the hardware devices) used. iLink LANs use Firewire's networking protocols, while GT4 will use Ethernet's. Bluetooth, for the PSP, is different again. They are all obviously incompatible with each other and the hardware is also completely different. Just as modems allow electronic communication using phone equipment, LANs allow networking using different hardware systems.

A WAN is a Wide Area Network, such as the Internet, or one using radio waves over a great distance (i.e. satellite distributed information).

The only major differences between the two console networks I can think of quickly are speed - Ethernet is faster, plus it will eventually allow us to go on-line. Firewire can't. The Ethernet hardware will also allow us to go wireless, to a certain degree.

I also doubt there will be anything more difficult to do, using GT4's networking abilities. It will be dead simple. Plug a few wires into a hub and start 'er up, as in GT3. I can't image much changing that way.

The outcome of playing on a LAN will be the same, though: major fun!

Cheers,

MasterGT
 
My only question about this PSTwo (honestly, I don't know why Sony does this. You know, a PS1, then a PSOne. What the hell?) is that I don't know if you have to have a predefined network configuration saved on your Memory Card, or if that can easily be modified by going to your System Configurations.

I think the real benefactors of this revised PS2 is all the online players. You know, stuff like SOCOM, the next ATV Offroad Fury, and stuff like that.
 
John,

How would online players benefit from a newer version playstation? If they already play online, I see no benefit from getting the "slim" console.
 
He means that everyone who buys a new PS2 will have a network adaptor so more people will be willing to tryout online games.
 
Yeah, I bought one a couple weeks back.. I was online within an hour of having it hooked up to my tv! Although, in comparison to xbox live it sucks. :(
Oh well! Racing online isnt that important to me anyways, certainly not for racing games, however, downloading new cars would have been cool.
 
its just a ps2 with built in networkadapter.
Only physical difference is that it has usb 2.0 ports instead of 1.1 ports like the regular ps2.
 
JohnBM01
I don't know if you have to have a predefined network configuration saved on your Memory Card, or if that can easily be modified by going to your System Configurations.
A LAN probably will be "configured" as it is now, with GT3, plug it all in, go to a networking menu, sign-on and start playing. On-line may have similar requirements to what any other PS2 on-line game may need, but you have to wait and find out details.

PD will do it right.

Cheers,
 
Hajaz
its just a ps2 with built in networkadapter.
Only physical difference is that it has usb 2.0 ports instead of 1.1 ports like the regular ps2.
Are you sure about this?

I just looked at SONY's own description of the slim PS2 and nothing is mentioned about it being an upgraded port.

MasterGT
 
Yeah, and besides there are no physical differences between USB 2 and 1.1. It's all in the chip.
 
Back