Muscle Car Questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Einarsson
  • 6 comments
  • 646 views
Messages
4
Norway
Norway
Messages
tobben_norge
Hi, I currently got a muscle car phase going on. However, I'm currently considering what I should and what I shouldn't spit money into.

I recently found out I had an Charger SRT-8, and used it for a stock 500pp challenge. To my surprise, it ran just like I want a car of that caliber to run. I did have problems with understeer though, which is why I'm seeking help. Do anyone got a good setup for it, or any tips to how I can tune it to make it handle a bit better? The car also felt geared a bit too high. Will I be able to use my G27 shifter if I get a fully customisable tranny for it?

If anyone got any other recommendations for muscle cars I'd be grateful.

Thanks for helping out!
 
Last edited:
One of the better muscle cars is the 67 Cougar, lighter than most, good power, handles well, Need a fully custom tranny on pretty much all of the older muscle cars as most of them rev out at around 120 mph but have enough power to go faster than that.

To deal with the understeer you can
Soften the front anti roll bar
Stiffen the rear anti roll bar

Soften the front springs
Stiffen the rear springs

Lower the front ride height
Raise the rear ride height

Mismatch the tires with softer compounds on the front as a last resort

You could also use some ballast weight to increase the rear weight of the car, and use weight reduction to offset the added weight.
 
Hm, I got a fully PP tuned '67 Cougar. Should I de-tune it?
 
Hm, I got a fully PP tuned '67 Cougar. Should I de-tune it?
I would say yes. If you go full out on the power that is a bit over the top on a car like this. I find that it does really well with full weight reduction and a bit over 400Hp at 500PP. If you go over 500hp then it gets much harder to control.

On GT4 I tested it with various power levels on the ring and found I was fastest if I kept it between 400-500hp, any more than that I started to loose seconds off the lap time even though I had higher speeds. I generally gear mine to do ~170 mph


btw Adding all the parts is not fully tuning a car. Tuning is more than throwing everything you can find on a car. It is about balancing the car by adding parts that work well together on that specific car and even more importantly setting the gears and suspension for the best performance and handling
 
Okay, thanks.

And I know that it's more than throwing everything on it. That's why I specifically said fully PP tuned. It is fun to begin with, but it gets boring winning every race with five laps.
 
Try the Plymouth AAR Cuda also a good car.
 
If you're worried about losing the ability to shift just keep in mind premiums (street cars) shift fine with any tranny. Standard cars lose the ability to use the H pattern shift with the custom tranny installed. This seems to be a bug that will hopefully get amended.
 
Back