Music Rally

• Thread starter crooky369
  • 23 comments
phillip_andrews
Where's the love for Music Rally?

I'm loving feeling the new physics engine with the old slidey cars with music blasting away in the background. I find if I don't get gold I just keep turning the music volume up until I do!

I've only had a few hours with the game but this is the perfect content to ease you into the game. Get a feel for the handling, adjust your image settings etc.

I'm happy to find I'm not getting gold first time every time either. They're not super hard but they're not massively easy either.

Most people don't seem to really understand them, myself included. How can you "drive to a beat"? You just drive as fast as you can and overtake the AI cars, same as you do any other mode. The only difference is that there is a countdown of "beats" and you replenish them at checkpoint gate.

I don't see how the music specifically plays into it, other than the simple fact it exists. You could replace the beats with seconds like the old Sierra Time Rally, It'd be exactly the same as far as I can see. I see no deep integration where the music directly affects what you're actually doing.

I quite enjoyed it , stiil don't understand it though .

Music for the first race is one of my all time faves so was just chilling and driving .

Most people don't seem to really understand them, myself included. How can you "drive to a beat"? You just drive as fast as you can and overtake the AI cars, same as you do any other mode. The only difference is that there is a countdown of "beats" and you replenish them at checkpoint gate.

I don't see how the music specifically plays into it, other than the simple fact it exists. You could replace the beats with seconds like the old Sierra Time Rally, It'd be exactly the same as far as I can see. I see no deep integration where the music directly affects what you're actually doing.
That's it, that's all there is to it. The only other difference between music rally and your traditional arcade time attack is this mode ends when the music ends, so it is about going as far as you can within the length of the music track, compared to your traditional time attack modes, where, in theory, you could drive indefinitely provided you kept hitting checkpoints and there was enough bonus time to allow you to get to the next checkpoint.

It's certainly not any deeper than that, I'm really enjoying the mode, and it sounds great through my sound system! Reminds me a little of Wipeout's Zone mode, although that one was a lot more stressful than music rally.

It's just a throw back to old arcade racers, it should be great for my 6 year old son. I think it's definitely a cool way to get them into it on something more on their level.

I can't get gold in the 3rd one. I've gotten silver. And I've gotten close to gold.....but no gold. I can't hear the car's revs over the music. And after the 6th try, or so, the music is getting annoying. It was a cool song, at first. But now it's just annoying. I'd much rather hear the car revving and not have to look at the tachometer to know when to shift rather than hear music.

I always turn the music off in GT games, but I haven't seen a way to do this in Music Rally.

I'm a fan of some of this mode and wish they would simply add more tracks. I can't imagine they didnt have a few more programmed and ready to go. Even got a couple of friends who laughed at it but are now trading scores as we try to one up the other. It's a good option aside from the AI races in the other modes and while I think I hate the track for Tokyo I admit this mode needs a little more love. Anyone wanting to compare scores go ahead and shoot a Friend request.
Phreelickz

The whole feature feels like a pointless tacked on idea that's disconencted form the game. Why it wasn't included as part of the missions is beyond me. At least then you could earn Cr and there wou;d be some purpose to it. As it is now, I tried it once, that's it.

It's nothing more than a lame minigame to pass the time during the install. Waste of effin disk space and resources if you ask me.

Let me uninstall it and permanently remove any other in-game music.

It's all been muted since launch and I have no intentions of ever turning any of it back on...

It's nothing more than a lame minigame to pass the time during the install. Waste of effin disk space and resources if you ask me.

Let me uninstall it and permanently remove any other in-game music.

It's all been muted since launch and I have no intentions of ever turning any of it back on...
Not sure how much disk space you are expecting it to take up when it uses tracks... which are already in the game, and cars... which are already in the game, and music... which is already in the game.

Of all the things to complain about, the file size of music rally just isn't one. You could probably fit its unique components on a floppy disk.

I'm just saying an SSD is valuable real estate... Any possible way to reduce the filesize would be greatly appreciated by all I'm sure. A well used example would be something like CoD Warzone.

If people want to play it, it's there. For those who simply don't want it have an option to not install it.

Last edited:
I failed #9 the first try...
53023811633_62709ab93c_c.jpg

Well, I showed them who's boss!
53023495059_4a921fb3c9_c.jpg

I've done them all since yesterday and it's been fun only partly. First of all I basically hate driving with music as I need to hear the car, the worst part however were the freezes. As a PS4 user I had to deal with many many freezes ( that cost you time cos the music does not stop playing ) to a degree, that for some of the rallies I had to exit two from three attempts and restart them.

Last edited:
Seems music rally is not affected by changes in the sound settings, I changed the ratio music/sounds and increased engine sound, and no changes in MR. Anyone can confirm?

And also, is there a worldwide ranking?

And please invite me if you enjoy MR ("Metentso")

Seems music rally is not affected by changes in the sound settings, I changed the ratio music/sounds and increased engine sound, and no changes in MR. Anyone can confirm?

And also, is there a worldwide ranking?

And please invite me if you enjoy MR ("Metentso")

You're number 1.

No one else plays it ;)

Honestly, I never really understood its purpose. I agree that it could be something to be included in missions or menu books, to become an integrated part of the game. But as it is, it totally feels like an afterthought, just bolted onto the game without any meaning. I went through them all, though, just for the heck of having all those trophies showing up... 🙈

I thought they were a good diversion. I wish I could copy the tune on the Maserati used in the Music Rally.

Last edited:
Back