"Must Haves"

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 9 comments
United States
Everywhere
Can we compile, or someone link me to, a list of "Must Haves" for each console? Basically the games everyone should buy? If this thread becomes popular I'll create sub-threads for each of the consoles.

The games I own that I recommend to everyone that owns a PS2 or an XBox are rather limited. On Playstation 2 I would strongly suggest GT3, ICO, and GTA:3 / Vice City. Every XBox owner should have a copy of Halo and Fuzion Frenzy.

There are quite a few other games that I would rank as "really great", but they don't necassarily fill the "everyone" catagory.

I guess I'm looking for a list of games that someone should buy at the same time they buy their console, for whatever reason. For PS2 and GT3 it's because it's so realistic and beautiful that everyone should experience it. The same goes for Halo. The games are just so excellent that they should be admired by everyone (: Fuzion Frenzy is just so much fun that I think everyone should have a copy (I hope they make another one with LIVE capability). And ICO ... well lets just say it was emotional.

So make some suggestions and put a little reasoning behind your responces.

PS2:
Dark Cloud 2 - Amazing action RPG that defies description that could do it justice. With amazing graphics, exotic locations to enjoy, great characters (all well voiced) and enough mini games/quests (golf and fishing to name a few) to make your head spin.
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance - Great Action RPG and can be played cooperatively (and switches between 2 player coop and 1player easily.)
Ico - Elegant game.
Time Crisis 2 - Extremely entertaining, plus you can shoot at your TV. ;)
GT3
GTA3 or GTA:VC Forget the hype and enjoy a fully fleshed out city and all it's trappings.
Rez Dreamcast port, but it's one of the coolest games around. Sort of a rail shooter with music incorporates the shooting of enemies into the techno soundtrack very effectively.

Xbox:
Halo Vehicles and Multiplayer Coop.

Gamecube:
Metroid Prime Fantastic adventure with well laid out puzzles and incredible boss battles.
Eternal Darkeness Basically the game that Resident Evil should have evolved into. Throw in 12 characters to play as, 3 different storyline angles, gameplay from Roman times up to the year 2000 and you've got a heck of a title.
Super Smash Brothers Melee Incredible fighting game featuring an all Nintendo cast of characters. Incredibly hectic, yet the controls are very precise.
Animal Crossing The Sims meets Harvest moon and tons collecting. Features GBA connectivity and has several (unknown as to how many yet) NES games built in that you can play in the game or download to your GBA and play on the go.
Super Monkey Ball 1 or 2 Monkeys, Balls, hijinks ensue. (like an updated marble madness with great mini games like golf, pool, and boxing amongst others.)

Oh and... I'll check out FF, I had never heard anyone mention that game before now.

Tokyo Extreme Racer Zero - Pretend to be a rice boy! ;)

It is an incredibly fun, fast pace game, yet with a technical side of modifying your car and knowing when and where to race other drivers.

I'll leave off all that have been mentioned...

PS2

*MGS2:SOL/MGS2:Substance - forget the plot (or the lack thereof), it's worth the money for the hijinks that you and pull on unsuspecting guards
*Timesplitters 1 and or 2 - the chaos that ensues with 12 bots and 4 humans all at 60 fps is great
*Twisted Metal: Black - the original car combat returns.
*Devil May Cry - Dante's just a badass, take no nonsense kind of guy, that why.
*Getaway - not nearly quite as deep as GTA 3/VC, but it more than makes up for it in attitude and balls.

The Xboxen

*Project Gotham Racing - very good racing game, and with a $20 price tag, you just can't beat that.
*Halo - Duh!
*Splinter Cell - the shadow's man, the shadow's.
*JSRF - a very original game with an addictive soundtrack (either you like the music or not, its still stuck in your head:D)

The little box that could

Super Mario Sunshine - Heh, its mario, what else needs to be explained?
Zelda Wind Waker - it may not be out yet, but its gonna be great:D

Originally posted by Tom M
Oh and... I'll check out FF, I had never heard anyone mention that game before now.

Fuzion Frenzy is something like Mario Party or Super Monkey Ball. It's a party game.

Legend of Zelda Wind Waker definitely gets added to my list. It has some of the all time great boss battles in it. :D
Storyline and thematically I think OOT was more enjoyable. But in terms of Gameplay and creativity WW is the clear winner.
Plus the Graphic style allows for a more generous and well developed sense of humor. :)

Latest Posts

Back